Thread: phobia of going to the dentist

phobia of going to the dentist

I am just wondering how people have coped with this, when they can feel (or have an idea) that something is wrong with their teeth, but are too scared to go to the dentist to find out what?

I know I need to go (A I've not been in years, B my teeth don't feel right) but. intense phobia of them

Re: phobia of going to the dentist

Have you this that I wrote:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/dental

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thank you for posting this.

I relate to a lot of this, especially the part about embarrassment

I always get embarrassed when I'm anxious around a professional.. such a weird experience

I can absolutely relate, however more often than not a lot of these medical professionals are pretty considerate and understanding. I recently had to go for an emergency dental appointment and was highly anxious the entire way there and while I was waiting, but the dentist was calming and tried to reassure me as much as possible. I could be wrong, but it does seem they are becoming more aware that there are people out there with phobias of all sorts that involve dental treatment. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by MrLondon86 View Post
    I can absolutely relate, however more often than not a lot of these medical professionals are pretty considerate and understanding. I recently had to go for an emergency dental appointment and was highly anxious the entire way there and while I was waiting, but the dentist was calming and tried to reassure me as much as possible. I could be wrong, but it does seem they are becoming more aware that there are people out there with phobias of all sorts that involve dental treatment. Hope that helps

what a reasuring post

seriously: thank you for that. I am so glad I am not alone

xx

No, I should be the one thanking you. Your post really related to what I too have been going through and it felt most assuring that there was someone else going through something similar, especially since I've been shielding for a few months while having dental issues too. Something else I found out recently is that if you aren't happy with your dentist (i.e. if they aren't considerate etc.), you can fairly easily change your dentist however you should ask the new dentist office if you need to contact your previous beforehand, just in case.
    Last edited by MrLondon86; 09-10-20 at 12:53.

Thread Information