Thread: Self-Help Therapies/Activities

Lightbulb Self-Help Therapies/Activities

I thought I'd share things that have helped (at least for me) to deal with anxiety, as most of the time it seems all we need is a good distraction. Just to note, this is not to discount or replace any therapies that a doctor etc. may prescribe for anxiety, however I completely understand that not everything works for everyone and you should speak to a therapist/doctor first. So here is a small list of things that have helped at times and some thoughts (also please correct me if I'm wrong or should have added anything):

- Gaming - from puzzles to grand strategy games, these can help gather your thoughts and distract you from what's making you worry. (note: I do not consider "gambling" as gaming or endorse it in any way)

- Exercise - endorphins released from the exercise are known to make you feel happier.

- Education & Learning - ranging from skills to sciences, there will likely be something out there that floats your boat and who knows you might discover something else that interests you.

- Films & TV - sometimes we all need a bit of escapism from all the hustle and bustle of every-day life.

- Reading/Writing - just like "Films & TV", this is another form of escapism, which also allows you to be more creative.

- Music - Listening to music can help you to focus, motivate you and release stress.

I hope that helps anyone out there and maybe share a few things that have helped you in your journey to manage your anxiety. As a thought experiment, how about writing something from each of these points (i.e. favourite game, book etc.) that has helped you. Again, please do correct me if I did get anything wrong and a reminder you should not replace any of these with anything prescribed by a medical professional.

Re: Self-Help Therapies/Activities

Quote Originally Posted by MrLondon86 View Post
    I thought I'd share things that have helped (at least for me) to deal with anxiety, as most of the time it seems all we need is a good distraction. Just to note, this is not to discount or replace any therapies that a doctor etc. may prescribe for anxiety, however I completely understand that not everything works for everyone and you should speak to a therapist/doctor first. So here is a small list of things that have helped at times and some thoughts (also please correct me if I'm wrong or should have added anything):

- Gaming - from puzzles to grand strategy games, these can help gather your thoughts and distract you from what's making you worry. (note: I do not consider "gambling" as gaming or endorse it in any way)

- Exercise - endorphins released from the exercise are known to make you feel happier.

- Education & Learning - ranging from skills to sciences, there will likely be something out there that floats your boat and who knows you might discover something else that interests you.

- Films & TV - sometimes we all need a bit of escapism from all the hustle and bustle of every-day life.

- Reading/Writing - just like "Films & TV", this is another form of escapism, which also allows you to be more creative.

- Music - Listening to music can help you to focus, motivate you and release stress.

I hope that helps anyone out there and maybe share a few things that have helped you in your journey to manage your anxiety. As a thought experiment, how about writing something from each of these points (i.e. favourite game, book etc.) that has helped you. Again, please do correct me if I did get anything wrong and a reminder you should not replace any of these with anything prescribed by a medical professional.
    Anxiety or not, that's some great advice. Not surprising, as a musician, music has been my go to for most of my life. Its been especially therapeutic since the pandemic. I work in essential services and deal with the public and the vast array of political leanings and beliefs. To say its stressful is a gross understatement!

I come home, change into comfy clothes, grab something to drink (And I admit a good beer is on the menu occasionally ), put on my headphones and listen/watch music on Youtube. I haven't performed since January so I'm using this time to re-vamp my show. Its literally what's kept me sane during all the insanity

I often talk about the "New Normal". For me its about my physical issues, symptoms and the reality of the changes they have made in my life. The same thing applies for mental illness. Certainly, the added stress of the current reality has imposed upon us unlike any other time in history but we have to find that "New Normal" to help us cope.

Your advice again, is sound. Whatever we have to do to keep us grounded, regardless of physical or mental health, we need to embrace and work on it daily.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you Fishmanpa. Honestly music has been my longest running addiction and often find myself listening to some good old tunes when making coffee, so as an avid music lover and someone who also has relied on people working in essential services I'd like to thank you. I also applaud your fortitude for pushing through this "New Normal" especially since how hard this pandemic has hit so many countries, however I believe the strongest skill humanity has is to adapt to most circumstances.

Do you recommend any songs or bands? As a child I loved listening to Queen and I still do as well listening to a good few of Freddie's solo work.

Interesting how things affect people differently...

I have to be very careful what music I listen to when the anxiety is high because I am so physically responsive to it. Heavy metal/rock music (which I love) gets my heartrate up whereas classical, especially choral (and who doesn't enjoy a bit o' choral) slows it down - as does anything by Perry Como!

I've also found that cardio exercise isn't as effective for me as yoga or a gentle stroll through the woods with the mutt. (that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it)

Gaming? It melts my brain. Always has. My kids are all gamers, as is Hubs. I've tried, but I bang into stuff and I'm always facing the wrong way or killing myself.

Education and learning though? I'm right there with you! It's education which helped to get me out of the HA hole!

I also advocate self-care such as massaging one's feet with some sesame oil. I seem to sleep far better when I do this, than when I can't be arsed.

I also use essential oils by way of diffusers and massage - lifts the spirits (also deodorises smell of stinky lurcher)

Fishmanpa - I'm with you on the comfy clothes. Though, I'm now imagining you dropping your trousers at your front door saying, 'I'm home nobody bother me' Goldberg style?

I'm into comfy clothes too..the softer the better and nothing tight!

Nowt like a good old hot water bottle for comfort either!

These are some really good ideas and it’s strange how when we’re all wound up about something and can’t relax it feels like it’s almost impossible to find something to do. It’s especially hard at the moment with the Covid pandemic, as you do feel very restricted and limited. I personally find not seeing my friends or not being able to just go out and do more quite tough. I am being very careful, because a) I do find the whole thing pretty scary and don’t much fancy coming down with it regardless of my risk factor and I wanna be careful for the sake of elderly family members I’d like to see from time to time. It is a pretty isolating time and I think especially then it’s important to use distraction techniques. Music is definitely a great one. I listen to a lot of different music and also write my own songs, which once you get into it, can really take up the time. Films and TV also a good one, especially something chilled out and funny. Script writing is also something that interests me or thinking about some kind of a new idea for a documentary or something (may be a little hard with the filming at the mo, but hey everything starts with an idea). It’s also good I think to keep in touch with friends and family, if need be over the phone or via face chat tools. In the summer I went running quite a bit, but it’s just too cold now!!! Or at least that’s my excuse.....going for walks works too or doing some exercise at home- Just writing all this now is making me feel like there’s actually plenty to try to stop that anxiety taking charge. Good post. Thanks.

Thread Information