Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Migraine aura! Please help, major panic

Migraine aura! Please help, major panic

Hi guys, I’ve had migraine auras a few times now. This is maybe my sixth one (I’m 23). Anyway, I had one today, followed the same pattern as usual - I breathed through it for about 30 min until it was gone. I had a headache and felt quite wiped out so went to have a sleep. I’ve woken up an hour later - It’s now about midday - and straight away I decided to have another Panadol for my headache. As i drank the water, my lip felt a little weird, almost like it was giving way so I looked in the mirror. When I tried to smile I was only smiling on like one side??? It was like a crooked smile and the other side of my lip couldn’t go up - I’m panicking now I’m having a stroke! When I stuck my tongue out everything was fine and I could do all of that normally, lift my arms properly etc... after like 10 seconds I could smile normally again...a stroke wouldn’t fix itself like that would it? I’m just so scared because I’ve never had that before and I really couldn’t smile properly - I don’t know if it is because I had just woken up (and obviously I’m wiped out from the aura) so my face was adjusting or something??? Or just another weird side effect of auras? I’m confused also as the aura was about an hour and a half ago so I don’t know why a stroke would take so long to come on...so I don’t think it is one but I’m really freaked out.

Re: Migraine aura! Please help, major panic

Also panicking it could be a TIA (mini stroke) rather than full stroke!? But still don’t get why my lopsided smile only lasted 10 seconds... was it just from being half asleep/panicky?

Probably the way you slept.
    I've has the auras for years and always end up sleepy after they subside.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

But I’m not worried that I was sleepy. I’m worried about that lip weakness and being unable to smile properly (and having a droopy/crooked smile like a stroke symptom) - even though it only lasted around 10 seconds ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimdim101 View Post
    But I’m not worried that I was sleepy. I’m worried about that lip weakness and being unable to smile properly (and having a droopy/crooked smile like a stroke symptom) - even though it only lasted around 10 seconds ...
    There was obviously something going on cos I noticed when I drank my water it almost felt like the water was going to pour out of my mouth... but should I be worried or just let this go :( anyone??

Can anyone please help calm me down :(

Auras are weird and pretty much always harmless. Probably wouldn't hurt to see a doctor if this is a new aura symptom, but I'd be really surprised if there was anything wrong.

So you’re saying auras make weird things like this come up and it’s not worth worrying over? Have you ever had something similar like a lip sided smile (lip weakness)c

No, but I've read about them extensively. Various different types of aira can produce this sort of thing.

I’ve tried looking everywhere to see if anyone has had something like that I can’t find it! It’s so nerve-wracking to worry it is a TIA or stroke. Just can’t forget looking in the mirror and seeing half of my mouth unable to go up while the other did! Scary :/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information