Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Migraine aura! Please help, major panic

Re: Migraine aura! Please help, major panic

See your GP when you can, but I genuinely wouldn't fret. Hemiplegic migraine is definitely a thing.

Ive read that that is very rare though. So not sure, especially since it was so short lived. My parents are doctors and say it’s nothing to worry about (my mum and sister have both had auras before too). They usually just get visuals though, not even a headache. So kinda stressed about my extra symptoms

You keep saying that and ignoring me. Sorry, but I'm out.

I’m sorry :( I just really wanted to find someone out there who has had something similar

Hi I have had all sorts of migraine symptoms including a hemiplegic one . And when I looked in the mirror I could only see half my face it was the strangest thing and within 10 minutes my arm went numb I had flashing lights at the side of my eyes and then took a bad headache. Of course it scared me to death but I got checked out and was told what it was . Migraines can happen in all sorts weird ways.xx

Oh yes the not seeing half your face is part of the visual aura (the blind spot that comes before the flashes). I’ve had numbness before too it’s scary! But isn’t hempilegic weakness etc? I just never had weakness like not being able to move my mouth... it’s so scary.

Could this have been a stroke!? A few seconds ‘dropping mouth’!?

I’ve had migraine auras a few times now. This is maybe my sixth one (I’m 23). Anyway, I had one 2 days ago, followed the same pattern as usual - blind spot appears, then zig zags and flashes - I breathed through it for about 30 min until it was gone.

I had a headache and felt quite wiped out so went to have a sleep. I woke up an hour later - and straight away I decided to have another Panadol for my headache. As i drank the water, my lip felt a little weird, almost like it was giving way so I looked in the mirror.

When I tried to smile I was only smiling on like one side??? It was like a crooked smile and the other side of my lips wouldn’t go up - even though I was genuinely trying (so I suddenly panicked it was a stroke).

When I stuck my tongue out everything was fine and I could do all of that normally, lift my arms properly etc... after poking out my tongue I could smile normally again...a stroke wouldn’t fix itself like that would it? Can this crooked smiling from a stroke really just last a few seconds like that!? Even if it was just a TIA (temporary stroke)?
    (it really wasn’t too much longer - but I was also sleeping prior so also worry I had it the entire time I was lying in bed and obviously I wasn’t looking in the mirror to check, and that was for around an hour).

This was also around an hour after the visual aura was over so I find it even weirder again, would a stroke appear so much after?

Re: Could this have been a stroke!? A few seconds ‘dropping mouth’!?

Also, with a TIA the symptoms come on ‘suddenly’. Obviously the visual aura was progressive but technically the lip droop was ‘sudden’? Or is that considered gradual too as it was after the aura, so another indicator it isn’t a TIA?

My parents are doctors and say it’s nothing to worry about
    Then, aren't they the ones to be listening to - I mean I don't know what type of doctors they are, but they don't seem too concerned and they are your parents so would surely know if to be concerned. I've found plenty about facial weakness and neurological symptoms, yes, sometimes Hemiplegic migraine and other named variants, and yes, they are rarer forms - so you do need see your own GP if you are not happy about what your parents tell you. I believe you that this happened, and I can see why you are scared, but no a stroke wouldn't fix itself in 10 minutes !

Migraine headaches

A migraine is a type of headache that causes intense pain. Migraines can cause neurological symptoms, such as facial numbness on the right side. Other common signs of a migraine include:

• pounding or throbbing head pain
    • feeling nauseous
    • feeling unusually sensitive to light, sounds, or other sensations
    • vision problems
    • seeing visual stimuli such as bright flashes, dark spots, or shapes
    • dizziness
    • tingling arms or legs
    • trouble speaking

A migraine headache can cause right- or left-sided facial numbness. Sometimes the entire face is affected. In other cases, only some facial areas may be affected.
    If you experience migraine headaches, call your doctor if there is a change in your normal symptoms. You should also see a doctor if you’re experiencing migraine symptoms for the first time.

Re: Could this have been a stroke!? A few seconds ‘dropping mouth’!?

This thread seems to have been posted twice, I've just replied on your other one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information