Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Long term health anxiety

Re: Long term health anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by Munchlet View Post
    I know it stems from a fear of death and if I could get my head around that I think the HA would ease but it's just so difficult.
    You're right. Accepting death as part of life is the key to successfully controlling HA.

Would be good to keep this thread going so we can see if anything works for any of us. Other possibilities I'm looking into are Hypnotherapy and possible trialling HRT as I've heard anxiety is so much worse around menopause. Sara
    The menopause does ramp up anxiety because it's a hormonal imbalance and it usually ties in with moody teenage kids, kids leaving home, and ailing parents - so lots of emotional factors making things worse. HRT can be helpful with the physical symptoms (I chose not to take it) but only for as long as you are taking it. Do your research and weigh up the pros and cons.

Thanks Nora,

Dad has recently been diagnosed with Leukemia, Father in Law is seriously ill and both mums are struggling to cope. I also have a moody 15 year old at home, so you have hit the nail on the head about ailing parents and teenagers. Feels at the moment like my brain just can't cope with it all and it's manifesting itself by ramping up my own health fears! It's comforting to know you overcame it and it does give hope. I think that with my CBT I am going to say I need to focus on the fear of death rather than the illnesses I fear. As you say if I can learn to deal with that then I feel it would remove the power that these feared illnesses hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Munchlet View Post
    Thanks Nora,

Dad has recently been diagnosed with Leukemia,
    Sorry to hear that. X

Feels at the moment like my brain just can't cope with it all
    It is a lot to cope with, and all at the same time that your body is going through the biggest hormonal change since pregnancy..

Many women develop health anxiety around this time, so you're not alone.

I think that with my CBT I am going to say I need to focus on the fear of death rather than the illnesses I fear. As you say if I can learn to deal with that then I feel it would remove the power that these feared illnesses hold.
    Maybe research 'good deaths'? Also, if you're into this kind of stuff - NDE's - which is the closest we know about what it's like to die - (IANDS is a good place to start) online website or their YouTube channel is excellent.

Some good podcasts out there too - Sandra Champlain's We Don't Die is good - lots of good interviews with interesting people.

I'm also just discovering energy healing which might help with your symptoms -we are all made up of energy so it makes sense to work with energy and try to get it back in relative harmony. Donna Eden is a good starting place (warning though - she's very cheerful lol)

You don't have to believe in an afterlife to accept death. I didn't go looking for this - it came to me when I was very young, and as a result I don't fear death itself. My problem was in the thought of leaving my young son - that's what I had to learn to accept.

All that's required is acceptance that potential illness and inevitable death is part of life.

If you can remove your fear of death - which to many of us is simply the transition from one form to another- you're anxieties will decrease.

Our fear of death often stems from dramatic (but unrealistic) portrayal on TV and in the movies. Death is usually far more boring and uneventful. It's a passing from one state to another, and often the suffering is for those who are observing, rather than the person whose body is slowly shutting down. When death is sudden - suffering is minimal - if at all. And even when death is a marathon, rather than a sprint - pain is only part of the chapter, and even that can be managed effectively these days. It's just a matter of finding the balance for the individual.

Also, life is life until it's no longer there - and that means that good memories can still be made, so keep that in mind with your dad and your in-laws.

Most people release their fear of death - even if it's at the moment of passing. I don't know about you, but I don't want to leave it that late. X

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information