Thread: NHS Scotland test and protect text message scam or real. Really worried.

NHS Scotland test and protect text message scam or real. Really worried.

Hello all. Not 30 minutes ago I got a text from what seems to be NHS Scotland Trace and Protect Service. Saying that "I have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for Covid19 And I should self isolate". Now this has really got me all worked up in a panic. But I'm unsure if this is a scam or a mistake text because the text does not say my name instead it starts with "Dear null,"

I do not have the app installed but I know past few days ago I did have to go to the hospital for a checkup, I broke my shoulder back in June and have been keeping checkups ever 2/3 months. I did take a private taxi there but I was wearing a face mask and the driver was too. And the day after that I had to go to the store to get food but again I wore a face mask and didn't talk to anybody.

I was trying to look it up cause I have read that there have been scammers trying to abuse the service but sending fake texts to vulnerable people. On the text there is nothing about buying kits or asking me for bank details. The text has links too what is the gov.scot website as well as booking a test if I develop symptoms which I haven't clicked.

The text also says I will be contacted by an 0800 number which hasn't phoned yet.

I just hope that it was some sort of auto id mistake or a bad scam that was trying to sucker me in. But I do need to know if anyone else has recieved these kind of texts cause I want to believe if it was legit the text would have my name rather than saying Dear null.

Thanks.

Re: NHS Scotland test and protect text message scam or real. Really worried.

It doesn’t sound like a scam and I do know that the tracing service does advise that you’ll be contacted by an 0800 number. They call to ensure you’re following the advice and to advise you on what to do if you develop symptoms.

If you’re in doubt there should be more info on the NHS Scotland website.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshoes View Post
    Hello all. Not 30 minutes ago I got a text from what seems to be NHS Scotland Trace and Protect Service. Saying that "I have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for Covid19 And I should self isolate". Now this has really got me all worked up in a panic. But I'm unsure if this is a scam or a mistake text because the text does not say my name instead it starts with "Dear null,"
    Here's what they claim should happen:

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...ontact-tracing

I'd give them a call to verify what the message is supposed to say.

Update: Turns out the message was real. Though they phoned me twice but it came up as private on my phone not as the 0800 number they said it would show up as. Now I'm worried that I might have it though I'm trying to calm myself down by saying I wasn't in the taxi for over 15 minutes roughly 10 maybe less. I was the only one in the taxi and I was wearing my face mask and so was the driver and I didn't touch my face.
    I did sanitize my hands the moment I left the taxi.
    I've booked a test and I'll self isolate for two weeks. Unless the tests tell me I don't need to.
    I'm trying not to panic. But its really hard knowing theres a possiblity I've been exposed...
    Last edited by Twoshoes; 16-10-20 at 21:27.

Thread Information