Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Historical (Pre-Covid) Lockdowns In UK, Any memories?

Re: Historical (Pre-Covid) Lockdowns In UK, Any memories?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    My 'even the Stoke area' comment is down to it being the largest settlement in Staffs and a 'conurbation' in its own sense, and probably the most vulnerable to 'incidents' of any kind, but fortunately, like the rest of the county, the August 2011 disturbances passed it by.
    It was genuinely thought that riots might have broken out this summer due to the effects of the pandemic - like closing the oatcakes shops and anywhere which sells Wright's pies - but the closest I've ever been to seeing riotous behaviour in my 38 years in Stoke is when the Teenage Mutant Turtles first went on sale at Toys R Us.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    It was genuinely thought that riots might have broken out this summer due to the effects of the pandemic - like closing the oatcakes shops and anywhere which sells Wright's pies - but the closest I've ever been to seeing riotous behaviour in my 38 years in Stoke is when the Teenage Mutant Turtles first went on sale at Toys R Us.
    Wow, the Teenage Mutant (whatever) Turtles are most certainly a blast from the past, even though I was never mega crazy about them myself.

I remember them being all the rage throughout 1990 but were pretty much a dead duck already by early 1991.

The Great Oatcake Riots? Well I never!!

I miss my 'chaise' and bacon oatcakes, Terry. They sell Staffordshire oatcakes in our big Tesco but it's not the same as standing in the oatcake shop on a cold winters day - listening to the sizzle of the batter hitting the hot plates and the shrill of the, 'What d'yer want on em duck?'
    My brother has moved to Yorkshire and says the same. He works with another ex-oatcake so when he visits us he takes a stash back for both of them.

I remember seeing something about ex stokies living in the US who made their own as so many of them missed it.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 19-10-20 at 13:31. Reason: Stash not staff

I remember one big riot which my history teacher told us about many years ago. One of the most violent riots of the Industrial Revolution was in Longton.

History we can be proud of

Terry, when you said 'recent riots' were you referring to those in the major conurbations back in August 2011 or the recent bout of general 'protests' in central London?
    I think it would have been the 2011 when it all kicked off in London. It just never happened here.

The epic local derby battles would have made such later riots look pretty tame around here.

Wow, the Teenage Mutant (whatever) Turtles are most certainly a blast from the past, even though I was never mega crazy about them myself.

I remember them being all the rage throughout 1990 but were pretty much a dead duck already by early 1991.
    My eldest was Turtle mad! He got banned from the playgroup for hogging the slide and shouting COWABUNGA DUDES!! all the damn time. (true story)

The Great Oatcake Riots? Well I never!!
    Only time I've ever seen my dad close to tears was when the oatcake shop had sold out..

My eldest was Turtle mad! He got banned from the playgroup for hogging the slide and shouting COWABUNGA DUDES!! all the damn time. (true story)

Only time I've ever seen my dad close to tears was when the oatcake shop had sold out..
    In addition to the Turtles related craze 30 years ago, I did also find out about the epic pre-Christmas stampedes for Cabbage Patch Kid toy characters on both sides of the Atlantic back in the mid-80s (circa 1983-85), according to a TV documentary about the 80s about 15 or so years ago.

More recently, there were epic stampedes reported in France for Nutella chocolate spread in early 2018, resulting in riots breaking out in many French supermarkets (or in their own language, supermarches).

Even more bizarre than the (global) toilet roll stampedes of March this year, as Nutella spread alone is hardly a life-saving food product, nor were there any reported shortages of said product. And why that particular brand, as surely there are other likewise products on sale by other brands?

Probably the result of just another irrational (social) media-fuelled frenzied craze where everyone revelled in the excitement of all the jumping on the bandwagon and the ensuing hysteria, that was all forgotten about in no time once the Nutella-mania had finally died down and the next big 'pack mentality' craze came along!

In fact, I might even start another thread dedicated to bizarre crazes and manias.

Nutella spread alone is hardly a life-saving food product
    Couldn't possibly comment.

Probably the result of just another irrational (social) media-fuelled frenzied craze where everyone revelled in the excitement of all the jumping on the bandwagon and the ensuing hysteria, that was all forgotten about in no time once the Nutella-mania had finally died down and the next big 'pack mentality' craze came along!
    Well you've hit the nail on the head haven't you? Pack mentality. Sheep sheep everywhere!

While the idiot masses were descending into insanity during the lockdown, you know, panicking about not having enough loo roll with 850 packs of 24 stashed in their houses - I tootled down to our local Morrisons (ok, I sent Hubs down) and just picked up one pack of 4 whereas other people loaded up their trollies with enough bog roll to wipe the arses of the world's population - twice over!

And don't even start me on the scum who were flogging a 4 pack of Andrex for FOUR times what we pay in the shops! May they develop bum grapes the size of Brazil!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I remember one big riot which my history teacher told us about many years ago. One of the most violent riots of the Industrial Revolution was in Longton.

Wasn't there a 'Play For Today' TV film back in the early 70s called 'Rank And File', which was some kind of docudrama about futile industrial relations in the Stoke area, which also depicted militant trade union actions?

On the face of it, it does sadly seem that the Stoke area has gotten a lot of bad press over the years, and no doubt exacerbated by the national miners' strike in 1984 and its effects on nearby collieries.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

Was that to do with the pottery riots (general strike) in 1842?
    Last edited by NoraB; 19-10-20 at 16:34.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information