Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vandalism

Re: Vandalism

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    It was football graffiti for those who asked
    No one wants graffiti, but at least it's not gang tagging. It's just people being a bit over-zealous. It's not a crime issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    No one wants graffiti, but at least it's not gang tagging. It's just people being a bit over-zealous. It's not a crime issue.
    What Banksy does is criminal damage - except his graffiti is street art which is thoughtfully applied and there are generally aesthetic and financial gains.

Manchester is full of street art - we've got bumblebees, Blue Tits and all sorts, and it looks amazing! It adds to the atmosphere of Manchester. However, seeing Kez luvs Kyleeeeeeeeeeeeeee scrawled on someone's back wall, on street signs or bus shelters is about as aesthetically pleasing as a toe fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    What Banksy does is criminal damage - except his graffiti is street art which is thoughtfully applied and there are generally aesthetic and financial gains.

Manchester is full of street art - we've got bumblebees, Blue Tits and all sorts, and it looks amazing! It adds to the atmosphere of Manchester. However, seeing Kez luvs Kyleeeeeeeeeeeeeee scrawled on someone's back wall, on street signs or bus shelters is about as aesthetically pleasing as a toe fungus.
    It does seem that the the once-ubiquitous tags that read 'X loves Y 4 eva', 'Z woz 'ere', etc, daubed on street fixtures, and on the back of toilet cubicle doors, etc, have become less commonplace over the past 10-15 years or so, at least in my area.

I wonder if it's likely to be down to the growth and increasing prevalence of smartphones, social media and the like over the same period that has distracted more youngsters from indulging in such ritual tagging activities?

Other forms of graffiti tagging, such as in the sides of motorways, train tracks, etc, appear to have remained more or less constant over the same period, with many often being undecipherable.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    It was football graffiti for those who asked
    Rangers or Celtic?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Rangers or Celtic?
    Definitely get it removed quickly then before the opposition see it...

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    It does seem that the the once-ubiquitous tags that read 'X loves Y 4 eva', 'Z woz 'ere', etc, daubed on street fixtures, and on the back of toilet cubicle doors, etc, have become less commonplace over the past 10-15 years or so, at least in my area.

I wonder if it's likely to be down to the growth and increasing prevalence of smartphones, social media and the like over the same period that has distracted more youngsters from indulging in such ritual tagging activities?

Other forms of graffiti tagging, such as in the sides of motorways, train tracks, etc, appear to have remained more or less constant over the same period, with many often being undecipherable.
    Some cracking political ones about if you Google Boris.

Let's hope whoever tagged over Banksy recently doesn't go on holiday to Northern Ireland. Tagging over those blokes holding AK-47s would start a riot the police wouldn't want to turn up too. Still, he'd never make out of the street alive...

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

I suppose they're all slagging each off on WhatsApp and duck-facing on Instagram - less time to draw on walls.

On one motorway bridge there was a 'Kez loves Kyleeeeeeee' type scrawl in MASSIVE letters (albeit skew-whiff) - only one day the girl's name had been painted over. (oopsie)

When love breaks down it's easier to update your Facebook status to 'single' or 'it's complicated', rather than have to haul ya ass, and aerosol cans, to the motorway bridge in the early hours of the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I suppose they're all slagging each off on WhatsApp and duck-facing on Instagram - less time to draw on walls.

On one motorway bridge there was a 'Kez loves Kyleeeeeeee' type scrawl in MASSIVE letters (albeit skew-whiff) - only one day the girl's name had been painted over. (oopsie)

When love breaks down it's easier to update your Facebook status to 'single' or 'it's complicated', rather than have to haul ya ass, and aerosol cans, to the motorway bridge in the early hours of the morning...
    At least (re your last paragraph) it's less tags to ruin the environment and we're inadvertently spared the torment of having to look at them face to face!

At least the older 'Z woz 'ere'-type tags, though still a nuisance, were more easily understood, more relatable, and more unique to the persons who actually wrote them, whereas most of today's 'tit-for-tat' tags are barely intelligible and appear to look very samey, and the latter graffiti type has seemingly become more prevalent since at least the latter half of the 90s, though I never really took that much notice of graffiti in general until after about 1995 or so.

Also general anti-social behaviour from others didn't really start to register with me until after then either.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 22-10-20 at 09:52.

...Torment?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information