Thread: Constant anxious feeling.. 'stronger' panic attacks.. feeling of losing control..

Constant anxious feeling.. 'stronger' panic attacks.. feeling of losing control..

Hi, firstly thanks to people who have been replying to my anxious questions on here lately! You're very good!
    My anxiety has been at an all-time-high just lately, and even though I've had low level anxiety for ages I'm slipping into panic attacks at the touch of a button! I've gotten agoraphobic again and even going a short walk with my hubby and child brings on a panic. I have noticed the feeling of panic -the actual feeling in your gut of anxiety has been so strong lately it's felt overwhelming.
    Thankful to say when it happened today I did my best to just 'let it happen' (floating) and somehow I came through it, but it just feels like the symptoms -the heart pounding through my body and he gut feeling of fear as well as feeling weak has become so strong. Is this something anyone else has experienced? Is there a way to get these feelings to become weaker again?
    I'm used to the feeling of panic but this is like panic on steroids! Just glad my husband was with me at the time today..!

Re: Constant anxious feeling.. 'stronger' panic attacks.. feeling of losing control..

Panic is just panic, it isn't a real illness or a real threat. It is just a normal bodily reaction to something which is a trigger and produces adrenaline, the more afraid you become the more adrenaline produced and the worse you feel. You won't die, you won't collapse, nothing will happen ultimately and it will end (trust me as someone who had thousands in her 20s and 30s!)....no matter how sudden and bad it feels at the time, losing the fear of panic will reduce the panic. It took me quite a few years to learn to just accept panic attacks, and the more I accepted them and didn't avoid things, or stop what I was doing and run away, the less they appeared and the less problematic they became. I won't deny they do still occur now and again, but self-talk and reassurance to myself of what panic symptoms are, and the fact that they will disappear if I give them time, has meant they are not a problem for me nowdays. You did well to 'float' and let it happen, and the more you practice that the easier it will become. You mention your husband, it sounds like you are using another person with you as a safety net, but to be honest, the key to it is within yourself and not with the 'safety' of another person. So, my advice is - don't avoid things, expect panic might come, accept it, carry on with internal monologue and reminders about what adrenaline does to the body, and wait for it to end. Once you've had some successful experiences like this, the easier it'll become.

Thread Information