Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irrational crazes and manias

Re: Irrational crazes and manias

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Is that a craze or mania?
    Don't know really.

One thing's for certain, it's most definitely a tribalistic thing!

You seem to have a lot of worries about these sorts of things.

Serious question, because I know you have difficulty with these concerns and I'm not in your shoes: would volunteering in the community help? I've been a lot less stressed about groups of feral kids and teens since I actually started working with them on a daily basis.

You seem to have a lot of worries about these sorts of things.

Serious question, because I know you have difficulty with these concerns and I'm not in your shoes: would volunteering in the community help? I've been a lot less stressed about groups of feral kids and teens since I actually started working with them on a daily basis.
    Interesting you should say that because as many of us have become so brainwashed by the media about problem youngsters over the years, we have a tendency to hypervigilance and have a rather bad habit of tarring them all with the same brush.

Like I've already said dozens of times before on here, the media have a lot to answer for when it comes to scaremongering hype over such issues.

Mind you, compared to say, 2009, the moral panics about feral youth and juvenile delinquency in the media generally seem less intense now.

I think a lot of it was politically charged back then (e.g, 'Broken Britain') and a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Most ironically, much of that hysteria seemed to peter out from around late 2011 onwards, especially following the infamous events in the major cities during the August of that year.

So, what do you think about the question I asked you?

So, what do you think about the question I asked you?
    Not quite sure right now, but I may think more about it once the pandemic starts to ease, even though I'm probably now mostly free from a lot of the Covid hazards now having had both jabs, and will be 4 weeks tomorrow since I had my second jab.

I am not sure if the panic was as big elsewhere around the world as it was here in the United States for Y2K. Some people were panic buying and hoarding, concern about banks and other industries crashing, etc.. What I find interesting is Y2K was long before social media and the 24-7 news coverage of today and there was still...in my opinion...a lot of over the type hysteria and hype for what turned out to be nothing really. Cannot wven imagine if something like this occured in these times.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntWithIssues87 View Post
    I am not sure if the panic was as big elsewhere around the world as it was here in the United States for Y2K. Some people were panic buying and hoarding, concern about banks and other industries crashing, etc.. What I find interesting is Y2K was long before social media and the 24-7 news coverage of today and there was still...in my opinion...a lot of over the type hysteria and hype for what turned out to be nothing really. Cannot wven imagine if something like this occured in these times.
    I don't personally recall that much panic surrounding the (hypothetical) Y2K 'bug' here in Blighty back in 1999, more the overhyped excitement during the run-up to 31st December 1999, and after all that, 2000 was just another year to most ordinary people, and not really that much different to 1999 in the grand scheme of things.

On the other hand, the mega-OTT response to pivotal tragic events like Princess Di being killed in Paris and 9/11 really doesn't bear thinking about had either event happened today!

Even Lockerbie back in 88 would have probably been treated as 'another 9/11' had it happened today.

Times were certainly much simpler and more carefree back then without the Internet, social media and 24/7 rolling news channels, plus even the mainstream daily rags were allegedly less sensationalist back then!

Y2K was a big event in the UK. All business sectors were impacted and had to prepare. I can remember plenty about it on the news and elsewhere.

With today's technology there would be a mass youngster panic over their social media. Just look how people react when Farcebook, Goggle, Tw@tter, etc go down...

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Y2K was a big event in the UK. All business sectors were impacted and had to prepare. I can remember plenty about it on the news and elsewhere.

With today's technology there would be a mass youngster panic over their social media. Just look how people react when Farcebook, Goggle, Tw@tter, etc go down...
    Absolutely, Terry, they would think that the end of the world was nigh!

At least the business sectors weren't caught napping over the Y2K bug, and ensured that their computers and data systems were completely up to scratch, plus I think that it was also just a case of pot luck that nothing untoward happened on 1st Jan 2000.

Just imagine all the endless hysteria, fake news and conspiracy theories running riot if that were today, or to be more accurate, back then with both today's technologies and general OTT ways of thinking!

What about the punks of 1976 ? The moral outrage against what were basically a bunch of scruffy art-school herberts with a propensity for safety pins, mildly bad language, and hairgel ... was rather over the top. You would have thought the world and civilisation as we knew it was abut to come to an end.

In the end the 'movement' lasted less than two years before it was taken over by other fashion trends and new wave groups who dressed better, could actually play instruments and made much better music that some of still listen to today.

Interesting whilst it lasted.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information