Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Irrational crazes and manias

Re: Irrational crazes and manias

Haven't seen it, will take a look as soon as I'm back from work - everything's better with a bit of Bowie, isn't it?

Indeed.

I may have to go and put a CD on now .... it might get me motivated..

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Never Mind The B0ll0cks.... my dad's face when I banged that album down on the table!

Actually, it was only Sid Vicious who couldn't play. The rest of the band tuned his bass for him and unplugged his amp before gigs. This suggests they had more pride in their work than you think? Sid was there for purely for the visuals! And let's face it, nobody could sneer like Sid!

The whole 'Sex Pistols can't play instruments' is a bit of a myth. Regardless of how the Pistols came to be, you can either play instruments or you can't, and with the exception of Sidney, the Sex Pistols could play their instruments. You only have to listen to the studio albums to know they could play. Johnny Rotten couldn't sing for toffee (or Country Life butter) but then again he was the frontman of a punk group - tunefulness not necessary!
    My dad also called them 'scruffy herberts' but then he'd been a Teddy Boy back in the day - all drainpipe, creepers and duck's @arses.

I still listen to punk music, and I'm in my fifties. It features a lot on my personal 'soundtrack' and I played Oh Bondage Up Yours just the other day while I was making shortbread biscuits!
    You're right - not all of them were instrumentally inept - but a lot of bang crash and 3-chord riffs got a bit samey as the years went on. I always liked the Damned, Banshees, X-Ray Spex, Squeeze, and most favourite The Stranglers. . Now there's a band that could play and had longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    You're right - not all of them were instrumentally inept - but a lot of bang crash and 3-chord riffs got a bit samey as the years went on. I always liked the Damned, Banshees, X-Ray Spex, Squeeze, and most favourite The Stranglers. . Now there's a band that could play and had longevity.
    Love The Damned. I had Eloise (blue vinyl) on 12". Phantasmagoria was a good album too!

And who can forget Captain's Sensible's catchy ditty, 'Wot'?

I got into The Stranglers via a friend's brother who was massively into them. He played the Meninblack album one day while I was there and that was it!

Another band I was heavily into was The Cocteau Twins. Liz Fraser's voice is other-worldly. Plus, I can sing along to the songs and it doesn't matter if I get the words wrong because ya can't understand her anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Love The Damned. I had Eloise (blue vinyl) on 12". Phantasmagoria was a good album too!

And who can forget Captain's Sensible's catchy ditty, 'Wot'?

I got into The Stranglers via a friend's brother who was massively into them. He played the Meninblack album one day while I was there and that was it!

Another band I was heavily into was The Cocteau Twins. Liz Fraser's voice is other-worldly. Plus, I can sing along to the songs and it doesn't matter if I get the words wrong because ya can't understand her anyway.
    Loved the Cocteau Twins!

Some very interesting convos about music in this thread.

You might like the podcast You're Wrong About. They talk a lot about moral panics! (It's America-centric, but may still be of interest)

The Cocteau Twins never appealed to me. For other worldliness Joy Division were streets ahead ... pity their output was cut so short.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    You might like the podcast You're Wrong About. They talk a lot about moral panics! (It's America-centric, but may still be of interest)
    I also recall a newspaper article back in 2013 titled something like 'British public wrong about almost everything', which was linked to an IPSOS MORI poll (I think), and its feature titled 'The Perils of Perception'.

And this was about 3 light years before the now-ubiquitous terms 'fake news' and 'misinformation' entered everyday parlance.

BTW, the UK and the USA both often tend to share very similar moral panics.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    For other worldliness Joy Division were streets ahead ... pity their output was cut so short.
    Ian Curtis was something else wasn't he? Tragic story for sure!

He danced a bit like I do!

Joy Division's time was short but the band which rose from the proverbial ashes (New Order) is still going 41 years later - minus Hookey I think? Mind you; I went off him when he started slagging Caroline Aherne off after her death.

I can't see Joy Division having that kind of longevity even if Curtis had lived tbh..

Incidentally, I was in the Trafford Centre on Monday (music shop) and there's a New Order Power, Corruption & Lies T shirt which I think I will add to my band T shirt collection..

Who says 50 is too old to wear band T shirts!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information