Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Tested Positive - Success Stories and Reassuarnce

Re: Just Tested Positive - Success Stories and Reassuarnce

I tested positive 6 weeks ago. I had a bit of a cough, mild fever and most of my other symptoms were gastric-nausea and diarrhoea. I went back to work on day 12 as I felt ok and was no longer infectious. I am however still plagued with bouts of nausea, bloating and constipation/diarrhoea. I don’t know if this is a lingering effect of the gastric symptoms (like a post infectious ibs) or something new altogether. And I also now appear to have developed health related anxiety, something I’ve never experienced before. It’s so good to read others experiences on her so thank you for sharing. Has anyone else had gastric issues lingering after covid?
    Last edited by Coni2; 01-12-20 at 10:44.

@NancyW, I'm so glad to hear you're on the mend, but I'm sorry you're experiencing lingering symptoms. I'm on week 6 since being exposed, and unfortunately am experiencing strong post-viral fatigue still. I don't mean to say this to concern you, rather, I think it's quite normal to still be dealing with things. I used to be quite strong, I worked out 4-5 days a week, a lot of it being boxing, and right after Covid I couldn't carry a bag of groceries. My roommate and I celebrated recently because I was able to carry not one, but two bags of groceries, one of which had some cans of soup and a bottle of wine in it! Certainly an expectation shift as to what to expect and celebrate with my body.

The good news, is that the fatigue has become much more manageable as time has gone on. I used to be able to only be "active" (aka anything that did not involve laying down very still on bed and doing absolutely nothing else) for an hour or two at a time. Now I'm usually able to make it through the day with work (I'm lucky that my job entails me just sitting at a computer) and a few errands, and then the crash comes at night. The fatigue is sometimes debilitating, and sometimes annoying but manageable. I also get strong headaches daily, body and muscle aches, and had a lingering cough for about a week.

@Hypo84, so glad to hear that your case was mild and manageable. I hope you're continuing to feel okay! Another good story for those who are anxious to know that you can catch it and still make it!

@Coni2, To start, I'm sorry you had such a gastro-centric case of Covid. I had some minor gastro issues as well (waves of strong nausea and a night of diarrhea), but thankfully the gastro issues were not too bad for me. As someone with emetophobia, that seems incredibly difficult to manage, so well done to you for conquering it! I am experiencing some post-Covid stomach issues. I have IBS, and have definitely noticed more bloating, occasional nausea, and issues with my bowel movements than previously. At about week 3 for me, I had around 2 nights of serious stomach pain that kept me up. I ended up starting my period later that week and I'm not sure if it was related to that, but I have to think it was at least somewhat exacerbated by Covid (my PMS symptoms are usually fairly manageable).

And I really do wonder if the issues I am experiencing now are linked to anxiety as well as Covid. My anxiety has been at an all time high, and I believe I'm also showing some depressive tendencies as well. Right now, I feel like I am in the worst mental health shape that I've been in. So, I can completely relate to and understand the health related anxiety you are talking about @Coni2; even though your case was manageable, it's still a traumatic thing to have happen to yourself. Do you have someone in your life that you can talk to about it? The mental health toll of Covid is very real and significant, and I hope you are able to go easy on yourself and nurture whenever it is needed.

I think the reality of the situation is that the post-viral symptoms will last for awhile. But, as someone who is on week 6, I can tell you that it will become less debilitating and frequent, and much more manageable. It took me about 3-4 weeks, but I know have some days where I feel essentially "normal". Right now, the mental health toll is significant, and I can see and recognize and understand the obstacles you all are facing too. The anxiety and depression that goes along with "Why don't I feel normal yet" and "Will I EVER feel normal again?", and the even bigger, scarier of question of, "What did this virus do to my body?" is very very real. If you are experiencing post-Covid mental health issues, you are seen and understood. You are also strong and just beat an entirely novel virus, and you WILL find your normal after this. We will get through this together.

I wish I could give more advice on what to do to help you get through the post-viral symptoms and, even more so, the post-viral anxiety and fears. But I will say that making sure I'm eating right, staying hydrated, and moving (gently) has helped. I haven't been able to do a workout yet, but taking gentle walks and doing some easy yoga does help (especially with the muscle aches). Most importantly, reaching out for help and letting my body stop when it needs to. When the debilitating fatigue hits, you've got to just lay down and let the wave pass. I find myself getting angry or annoyed and scared when that happens, especially if I hadn't done much during the day to "warrant" a dip, but sometimes it just happens. Breathing exercises and meditation have also helped. Does anyone else have any advice?
    Last edited by leanderson2012; 01-12-20 at 19:53.

@Coni2, something that does help me with my gastro issues has been ginger flavored Kombucha. The Kombucha is fermented and helps promote gut health, and, as you probably know, the ginger helps settle any nausea you may be having.

Reporting in at 3 weeks since symptom onset.
    I'm feeling pretty good today, not so tired and cough is better.
    Not sure what tomorrow will bring but I'm grateful for today.

I was so excited at lunch, I could taste the thousand island dressing on my salad.

That didn't last, I'm eating a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich and can't taste a thing.

Hi guys. I wrote a post earlier without realising that this post was going. Amazing to be able to read this and see how everyone is. A hundred percent my anxiety is through the roof wondering what each day will bring. I’m on day 5 and not sure if my tight chest is from reading that days 6-10 are crucial for breathlessness. So scared about being hospitalised. Really glad to see so many of you have stayed positive and come out the other end x

@NancyW, you're getting there! It came back to me in waves. I could taste the first bites of a banana and an orange, then it went back to nothing. The next day I could specifically taste the paprika in some chili, but nothing else (including the green onion sprinkled on top). That was the start of it coming back, so you're on the right path!

@katyfitz, I totally understand where you're coming from. I also had some chest tightness, and as you can see, many others did as well. You're chest and throat is likely going to feel a little funky, and that is okay! This is a respiratory virus mainly, so things aren't going to feel 100%. But I bet your chest has felt tight before when battling a head cold or allergies. Try to reframe it to that completely manageable and winnable scenario. (This all I can say being on the other side of the virus. I totally understand the fatalistic thinking when you're in the middle of it.) But remember, chest tightness does not mean serious breathing troubles, and feeling worse does not mean you're about to crash. If it helps at all, my doctor said Day 5 is the big day for people to start to take a turn for the worst. Since you're doing okay on Day 5 now, that's a great sign. Deep breaths. Self care is key here. If you're feeling crappy, curl up with a cup of tea, your favorite sweatshirt and comfy clothes, wrap a blanket around yourself, and just nourish yourself. Talk to yourself with love, like you would talk to the most important person in your life if they were feeling sick. Counter those anxious thoughts with a dialog of self love to yourself. Look at your body, fighting a novel virus and absolutely winning! You're going to make it and you're going to be okay

Thank you so much for such a lovely reply. Will keep checking in with you xx

@katyfitz Please do, whenever you want to and have the energy. I’ll be thinking of you and sending lots of love and positive thoughts your way ❤️

Hi guys. I just have a quick question. Has anyone had any of the symptoms go and then come back? My worry is the cough coming back , it’s become a real phobia that this will happen. I’m now on day 6 x

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information