Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Tested Positive - Success Stories and Reassuarnce

Just Tested Positive - Success Stories and Reassuarnce

Hi All,

Like so many others, I've tested positive today for COVID-19. So far, my symptoms are mild, and I'm lucky to not be at risk (30 yrs. old, fairly fit, no major underlying conditions with the exception of manageable asthma). However, like so many others, I'm completely panicking about the diagnosis. I can't help but go to the worst case scenario in my head.

I'm wondering if, for my sake as well as for the sake of others, there are any success stories about having had and beaten COVID that you're willing to share? At the same time, I'm also happy to share my experience on here for anyone who wishes to know, if it would provide some level of comfort for you.

Stay well and be safe everyone <3

Re: Just Tested Positive - Success Stories and Reassuarnce

Hi I hope you are ok. I tested positive on the 23rd September. I had a fairly mild dose (just like a bad cold) and like you I was terrified wondering whether I would take a turn for the worse but I didn’t and I was back on my feet within 7 days and felt much better on the 8th day. I still get occasional bouts of fatigue but don’t how much of that is linked to COVID and how much is linked to my anxiety and being in lockdown for so long. Get plenty of rest, take Vit C & zinc and Vit D, lots of fluids. Your appetite may disappear for a few days (mine did) so if it does just eat anything you can bear for strength. I found I could manage plain noodles, pasta with a bit of tomato sauce on and baked beans (if you guys have those over there). I also have manageable asthma and I am mid forties. Try not to panic (says me!). You will get through it. Sending lots of love xxx
    Last edited by Amurfina; 20-10-20 at 15:28. Reason: Accuracy

Thank you so so much Amurfina. I'm so sorry you had to go through this but I am also so glad that you are feeling on the mend. Right now I'm on my seventh day of exposure, maybe day 3-4 of symptoms actually showing, and I have the same experience as you, at least for now it just feels like a head cold, with just occasional waves of tiredness and weakness. Had I not known about my exposure I wouldn't have even gotten tested (I say this with the hopes of other people reading this will take comfort in the fact that so far this is another example of a mild case). I also am having allergies right now, and I can't tell if my "head cold" is truly a symptom of COVID, or if it's just a very poorly timed mild sinus infection due to allergies!

I've placed in an order of vitamins to be delivered today. Thank you so much again for your story, Amurfina. I hope your fatigue goes away soon, and that you're mentally okay. Thank you for being strong and sharing your story with me. Taking it one hour at a time!

Hi,

My sister has just gone back to work after having to isolate with Covid. She is early 30’s and has asthma. She said she felt different and weird but had worse illnesses in the past.

My friends mum is in a care home, she has dementia and she is in her 80’s. She’s been quite poorly but not to the point of hospitalisation. She now seems to be improving. A couple of blokes I know have it too and thought they had flu. All have said if they hadn’t known about Covid they would have assumed bad cold or flu. I know not everyone is as lucky but your odds are with you rather than against you. Hope you feel better soon x

Mortality for a healthy person in their 30s seems to be so low as to be irrelevant. Lower than 0.1% iirc for people under 70, as illustrated by a recent video by Dr John Campbell, who was collating global data of actual cases. Percentage would be much lower for anybody around 30.

Thank you both for sharing your story and for the data. That does help a lot. @Kirkbear, I'm glad that your sister is feeling better and I hope she continues to feel okay! And that's an amazing story about your friend's mom. It goes to show that it's not always (in fact, usually not, per what @ankietyjoe shared), debilitating.

I'm sharing an update to my symptoms with the hope that it will give some people comfort to know what it's like. I am finding comfort in hearing other people's stories and day by day progressions, and I hope this might provide some comfort to you too if you're looking for it:

I'm on day 8 of exposure, day 4/5 of displaying symptoms. The first 3-4 days of symptoms were completely fine, and I normally wouldn't have given what I was feeling a second thought. Occasional waves of tiredness/weakness, and some congestion. Felt like a mild-occasionally moderate head cold.

Last night though was a "bad night", but here's the good news! It wasn't even that bad! I felt incredibly weak and tired, more so than I have in awhile, and it hit me pretty suddenly. I ate some food and immediately felt nauseous after it and was shaking. I did a DIY steam (aka put some boiling water with essential oils in a bowl and stuck my head over it with a towel), then took a hot shower. I try to stay in the shower for as long as I can to take advantage of the steam, but I just couldn't muster up the energy for a longer shower last night (keep in mind, I was able to stay standing and walking through all of this, and could even get the energy to put my dishes in the sink!). I crawled into bed and called my parents (completely panicking), and spent the next 45 min-1 hour going between my bathroom feeling like I was going to throw up, and laying in bed. Then, after about an hour, I felt better! Not great, but definitely not bad. The hardest part was the fear and hanging up the call with my parents.

Today, I definitely feel a little worse than yesterday, but it's not bad. It's gone from a mild head cold to a bad head cold. I've lost my appetite and can tell I'm losing/have lost my sense of taste, but I truly am okay! Honestly, it just feels like a bad head cold now, and my main symptom so far is lost of congestion. No fever or problems breathing at the moment. Weirdly enough, my gums are bleeding a bit when I brush my teeth, but I wonder if that's more of a side effect from mouth breathing 24/7 at the moment

Am I scared about what could happen in the next few days? Absolutely. I am petrified, and my anxiety spikes like no other. I don't want to pretend like I'm completely fine, but I also want people are are afraid of it to hopefully take comfort in my story so far. I was petrified of getting it, and now I have it, and so far I'm still here!

It sounds as though the fears are far worse than the symptoms? This is such a helpful and insightful thread and hopefully it helps you too by writing it all down and keeping things in perspective? Let's face it..you wouldn't be able to or feel like writing such a detailed account of your experience if you were truly "struck down" by covid!

Thank you so much and look after yourself.. Get well soon!

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Mortality for a healthy person in their 30s seems to be so low as to be irrelevant. Lower than 0.1% iirc for people under 70, as illustrated by a recent video by Dr John Campbell, who was collating global data of actual cases. Percentage would be much lower for anybody around 30.
    I'm struggling with "mid-50s, morbidly obese, T2 diabetic, hypertension"

That adds up to "catch it and you're dead" in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    It sounds as though the fears are far worse than the symptoms? This is such a helpful and insightful thread and hopefully it helps you too by writing it all down and keeping things in perspective? Let's face it..you wouldn't be able to or feel like writing such a detailed account of your experience if you were truly "struck down" by covid!

Thank you so much and look after yourself.. Get well soon!
    I think you're right about the fears being far worse than the actual symptoms, Pulisa.

TBH, I have been feeling a bit off the past couple of days with a couple of cold-like symptoms on and off, but so far, apart from the odd little coughs, none of the foremost symptoms of Covid, and I keep reminding myself that I have had such illnesses pretty much every year for the entire 43 years I have been alive.

Obviously the scariest thing about Covid is it can adversely affect people seemingly at random, though thankfully the vast majority of infectees so far have survived and successfully recovered and those whose lives have sadly been taken by this wretched virus have so far been in the minority, and in most instances, already suffering from other underlying ailments and/or were very old.

Perhaps some (or maybe even all) of the very tiny few who have reportedly been reinfected with Covid might have (previously unknowingly) had 'long Covid' which we have only really been made aware of over recent weeks, though that's only just me guessing as I am in no way qualified to state it as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I'm struggling with "mid-50s, morbidly obese, T2 diabetic, hypertension"

That adds up to "catch it and you're dead" in my head.
    PM - can you shield at all? Until vaccines are available to at-risk groups? I worry about Mrs F too. Mid 50s, 15st, Type 2 diabetes, crohns disease, epilepsy, fibromyalgia.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information