Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Tested Positive - Success Stories and Reassuarnce

Re: Just Tested Positive - Success Stories and Reassuarnce

@Pulisa, you are spot on. So far, the fears and mental anxieties are far worse than the symptoms. My friend who had it last week (who I caught it from) hit a fever of 104*F last Thursday (Can you imagine!), and she still firmly believes that the fear and anxiety of having it was worse than the 104* fever (to help provide some comfort and additional detail - she is fine. She was knocked off her feet for a day or two, but was able to recover at home. She also has asthma, and additionally has a minor heart condition and has a bit of a weaker immune system). Of course, things could change for me where the symptoms become worse than the fear, but let's hope it does not come to that There is a much stronger chance that it will not come to that, and that I will be able to recover just fine. @Pulisa, I'm so glad this thread is helpful for you! I hope it is the same for others. It does give me a lot of comfort and help pull me out of my head. Last night when I dipped I thought, "This is it, I'm not going to make it through the night" (that was the anxiety talking). And now writing it out I realize yes, it wasn't fun but I certainly wasn't on (or even NEAR) my deathbed either

@Pamplemousse, I hear and totally understand your fears. What you're feeling is real and honest and understandable. But try to remember that there are absolutely no guarantees with this, either for it to go well or poorly. Remember though, the numbers are on your side. There ARE people with similar (and worse!) conditions than you who have made it. If you do catch it (which I hope you don't), remember that this right now just feels like a bad cold for me, and for many others. If this was 2019 (what a simpler time!) and I was having the exact same symptoms, the only day I would have taken off of work is today. Every other day (so far!) has been a mild head cold. I know it's different for everyone, but it's very possible you will be the same. And you can get through a head cold

@Lencoboy, I'm sure you're fine! But of course, if it helps or you feel as if it could be an issue, get tested just for peace of mind. I have had so many similar symptoms during these past 7 months (and the past 30 years) and it was never anything more than just a sinus issue that resolved itself in a few days. I will say, the one thing that has separated this for me was the waves of fatigue and weakness I felt. That felt different than "just the sniffles", so I hope you and others can find comfort in knowing that, while my symptoms were mostly benign, there was something a little more "off" about them that differentiated them. Sunday night (5 days after exposure, and the day I took what would turn out to be my positive test), I got out of the shower and just felt so tired all I wanted to do was crawl into bed. It was a familiar feeling, the kind of tiredness you get when you are truly sick/getting sick, but it was different than the normal "long day, stressful day" tired.

I had a burst of energy earlier this afternoon, similar to one I had yesterday, so I think my pattern is that in the afternoon I feel my best, and then I slowly get a little weaker as the evening comes on. I can feel myself starting to dip right now, both in terms of energy/overall wellness level and, in response, spiking in anxiety. So what does this mean for me? Probably a similar night to last night. Will I still freak out and panic if and when I hit my low low point? Ohh yes. But I'm also hopeful that the perspective from last night will help diminish it slightly.

I can continue to post more updates if this is helping others (It's definitely helping me!). Stay safe everyone. We'll be okay <3
    Last edited by leanderson2012; 21-10-20 at 22:12.

Day 9 of exposure, day 5/6 of symptoms:

I feel simultaneously better and a little weaker today. The symptoms of the "head cold" feel better, but I feel very, very tired. I did not have as significant of a wave of fatigue and weakness last night than I did the night before, which was a welcome development. I feel as if I am at a turning point where I am either turning the corner and getting better, or it's about to get worse. I do feel like I'm starting to get back to my more normal self in a few ways, I'm craving more "real" food (still can't taste, but last night I ordered sushi and absolutely drenched it in wasabi just to feel something while eating ), while earlier this week all I wanted was soup and tea. I also feel like I'm starting to get my appetite back. This morning I had some bad cramps and queasiness, but I'm not sure that was a direct symptom of COVID. I didn't eat much yesterday, and after eating some oatmeal, toast, and a banana today I felt better. I also slept on my stomach last night, per my nurse friend's suggestion to help ward off pneumonia. I have to say, I'm not sure which is worse: Pneumonia, or sleeping on your stomach when you're completely congested and after you've just eaten sushi that is drenched in wasabi

I've developed on occasional cough that is loose, productive, and easy. That is scary for me, because a big fear of mine is this getting into my chest and causing pneumonia. My anxiety is high today because I do feel like I'm at a turning point and I just don't know if it's going to get worse or continue to get better. Regardless of what happens, I need to stay positive and remind myself that I am strong enough to handle it even if it does get worse!

Right now I am just listening to my body, and what it wants to do right now is stay in bed, rest, and occasionally eat (which is a good, new development!), so that's what I'm going to do. I'm also steaming at least once a day, taking a hot steam shower twice a day, and have my humidifier running. Lots of tea, vitamins, and fluids. So far, that's continued to work and I just hope it stays that way! Any words of encouragement or success stories would be appreciated, but I also understand we all have to take care of ourselves first. I hope everyone is doing okay <3
    Last edited by leanderson2012; 22-10-20 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by leanderson2012 View Post
    @Pulisa, you are spot on. So far, the fears and mental anxieties are far worse than the symptoms. My friend who had it last week (who I caught it from) hit a fever of 104*F last Thursday (Can you imagine!), and she still firmly believes that the fear and anxiety of having it was worse than the 104* fever (to help provide some comfort and additional detail - she is fine. She was knocked off her feet for a day or two, but was able to recover at home. She also has asthma, and additionally has a minor heart condition and has a bit of a weaker immune system). Of course, things could change for me where the symptoms become worse than the fear, but let's hope it does not come to that There is a much stronger chance that it will not come to that, and that I will be able to recover just fine. @Pulisa, I'm so glad this thread is helpful for you! I hope it is the same for others. It does give me a lot of comfort and help pull me out of my head. Last night when I dipped I thought, "This is it, I'm not going to make it through the night" (that was the anxiety talking). And now writing it out I realize yes, it wasn't fun but I certainly wasn't on (or even NEAR) my deathbed either

@Pamplemousse, I hear and totally understand your fears. What you're feeling is real and honest and understandable. But try to remember that there are absolutely no guarantees with this, either for it to go well or poorly. Remember though, the numbers are on your side. There ARE people with similar (and worse!) conditions than you who have made it. If you do catch it (which I hope you don't), remember that this right now just feels like a bad cold for me, and for many others. If this was 2019 (what a simpler time!) and I was having the exact same symptoms, the only day I would have taken off of work is today. Every other day (so far!) has been a mild head cold. I know it's different for everyone, but it's very possible you will be the same. And you can get through a head cold

@Lencoboy, I'm sure you're fine! But of course, if it helps or you feel as if it could be an issue, get tested just for peace of mind. I have had so many similar symptoms during these past 7 months (and the past 30 years) and it was never anything more than just a sinus issue that resolved itself in a few days. I will say, the one thing that has separated this for me was the waves of fatigue and weakness I felt. That felt different than "just the sniffles", so I hope you and others can find comfort in knowing that, while my symptoms were mostly benign, there was something a little more "off" about them that differentiated them. Sunday night (5 days after exposure, and the day I took what would turn out to be my positive test), I got out of the shower and just felt so tired all I wanted to do was crawl into bed. It was a familiar feeling, the kind of tiredness you get when you are truly sick/getting sick, but it was different than the normal "long day, stressful day" tired.

I had a burst of energy earlier this afternoon, similar to one I had yesterday, so I think my pattern is that in the afternoon I feel my best, and then I slowly get a little weaker as the evening comes on. I can feel myself starting to dip right now, both in terms of energy/overall wellness level and, in response, spiking in anxiety. So what does this mean for me? Probably a similar night to last night. Will I still freak out and panic if and when I hit my low low point? Ohh yes. But I'm also hopeful that the perspective from last night will help diminish it slightly.

I can continue to post more updates if this is helping others (It's definitely helping me!). Stay safe everyone. We'll be okay <3
    Thanks for expressing your concerns, Leanderson.

I'm sure it's not Covid and probably normal seasonal cold-like symptoms, but I shall remain vigilant of course, and I shall take appropriate action if I deteriorate even further over the coming days, but I'm still confident it's not Covid, as I'm sure I might have already had it back in February without an official diagnosis, as my ailments back then had many of the hallmarks of Covid, though the worst flu/virus I have ever suffered so far during my lifetime was almost 20 years ago back in December 2000, at the age of 23, which knocked me for six for well over 3 weeks, and I remember spending almost all of Christmas Day in bed, only getting up to use the toilet when needed, and even opening my presents in bed!!

I also had severe ear infections over that seemingly relentless 3-week period with being unable to hear out of my left ear, and I hadn't fully recovered until around the 4th or 5th of January 2001.

Even though I literally felt like I was dying on a couple of occasions during that 3-week 'virus', I never even gave the 'fear of death' a second thought.

Could well have been Covid-2000!!

Re my second paragraph, I am feeling quite a lot better so far today.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 23-10-20 at 15:08.

This thread should be called "CovidWatch"!!

Try not to think of the "turning point" aspect..My bet is you'll continue to feel better and stronger especially now that your appetite is returning. You're young and fit and will shake this off. You are able to look after yourself and are doing all the right things in order to recover as soon as possible. Make the most of having the chance to get some rest and take each day as it comes without worrying about what may happen..because chances are it won't and you'll have wasted all that precious energy worrying for nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    This thread should be called "CovidWatch"!!

Try not to think of the "turning point" aspect..My bet is you'll continue to feel better and stronger especially now that your appetite is returning. You're young and fit and will shake this off. You are able to look after yourself and are doing all the right things in order to recover as soon as possible. Make the most of having the chance to get some rest and take each day as it comes without worrying about what may happen..because chances are it won't and you'll have wasted all that precious energy worrying for nothing!
    Very wise words as per usual, Pulisa.

I do often wonder if viruses have pretty much always been omnipresent in some form or another (during the postwar period) but often with us being unaware of their existence at the time, even if, when and where potentially fatal?

Likewise, I'm sure Norovirus must have always been around in some form or another, but it's only been within the past 20 years or so that we've really started making such a big deal out of it.

COVID WATCH: DAY 5/6 of symptoms, Day 10 of exposure (Thank you @Pulisa for the title suggestion )

Symptoms continue to feel a bit better! Not huge gains, I wish I was back to feeling closer to 100% but that's just not a reality with this! Back to feeling like a head cold and the tiredness feels more run-of-the-mill sick tired. Yesterday was a different kind of tiredness and I was so out of it that I couldn't actually fall asleep. Biggest symptoms today are a bit of a sore throat, cough (which still makes me nervous, because in my mind coughing = pneumonia, even though I know logically that coughing helps prevent pneumonia! It's funny how anxiety works), sinus pressure, lots and lots of sinus pressure (I'm squinting as I'm typing this as the screen is a little too bring for me wee sinus tired eyes ). Other than that, the overarching symptom is tiredness. I was able to take a nap today and I look forward to falling asleep again tonight.

Loss of taste and smell was interesting and unusual to begin with (as I was losing it, I enjoyed updating my friends and family on what things tasted like. Bananas tasted spicy.), but now it's starting to get to me. While I can still get the medicinal benefits of tea and soup, I don't get the immediate benefit of sipping some hot lemon tea and eating a warm bowl of soup when I'm feeling crummy. Now it's just drinking like drinking hot water. What's weird is that I'm having very specific cravings, despite not being able to taste anything. Today, all I wanted for lunch was a tuna salad sandwich with spinach leaves and red onion. I made myself one, and I can't tell you how much it hurt to not even last a little bit of a raw red onion when you bite into it (the benefit is that I didn't cry while cutting it up!). But, if that's one of the worst things to happen to me during this whole thing, I'm pretty lucky.

Some silver linings: I've been steaming every day and my skin looks great because of it. I also lost a few of the extra pounds I gained during quarantine. Of course, no one can see how good I look, but at least I can enjoy the view.

Anxiety level is about the same (aka very very high). I keep thinking "If I make it through tomorrow, I'll know I have gone over the hump and can relax a little." Doesn't work. I'm still scared that things are going to take a turn for the worse, but maybe if I make it through tomorrow I'll know I have gone over the hump and can relax a little Grateful for what I do have during this, as I know there are so many others in far worse situations than I am. I'm hopeful that this is giving some peace of mind to others who were scared like me. I was somebody who was petrified of getting it. I saw others who got it and survived and came out the other side and I thought, "I'm not as strong as them. I won't make it." And I interpreted that anxious thought as being some premonition or instinct inside of me, and held onto it as the truth. And when I got the official diagnosis on Monday, I thought, well this is it, I'm not strong enough to handle this. But you know what? I'm still here, and I plan and hope to be here to tell you that I've beaten this thing because I was strong enough, and you are too!

Quote Originally Posted by leanderson2012 View Post
    COVID WATCH: DAY 5/6 of symptoms, Day 10 of exposure (Thank you @Pulisa for the title suggestion )

Symptoms continue to feel a bit better! Not huge gains, I wish I was back to feeling closer to 100% but that's just not a reality with this! Back to feeling like a head cold and the tiredness feels more run-of-the-mill sick tired. Yesterday was a different kind of tiredness and I was so out of it that I couldn't actually fall asleep. Biggest symptoms today are a bit of a sore throat, cough (which still makes me nervous, because in my mind coughing = pneumonia, even though I know logically that coughing helps prevent pneumonia! It's funny how anxiety works), sinus pressure, lots and lots of sinus pressure (I'm squinting as I'm typing this as the screen is a little too bring for me wee sinus tired eyes ). Other than that, the overarching symptom is tiredness. I was able to take a nap today and I look forward to falling asleep again tonight.

Loss of taste and smell was interesting and unusual to begin with (as I was losing it, I enjoyed updating my friends and family on what things tasted like. Bananas tasted spicy.), but now it's starting to get to me. While I can still get the medicinal benefits of tea and soup, I don't get the immediate benefit of sipping some hot lemon tea and eating a warm bowl of soup when I'm feeling crummy. Now it's just drinking like drinking hot water. What's weird is that I'm having very specific cravings, despite not being able to taste anything. Today, all I wanted for lunch was a tuna salad sandwich with spinach leaves and red onion. I made myself one, and I can't tell you how much it hurt to not even last a little bit of a raw red onion when you bite into it (the benefit is that I didn't cry while cutting it up!). But, if that's one of the worst things to happen to me during this whole thing, I'm pretty lucky.

Some silver linings: I've been steaming every day and my skin looks great because of it. I also lost a few of the extra pounds I gained during quarantine. Of course, no one can see how good I look, but at least I can enjoy the view.

Anxiety level is about the same (aka very very high). I keep thinking "If I make it through tomorrow, I'll know I have gone over the hump and can relax a little." Doesn't work. I'm still scared that things are going to take a turn for the worse, but maybe if I make it through tomorrow I'll know I have gone over the hump and can relax a little Grateful for what I do have during this, as I know there are so many others in far worse situations than I am. I'm hopeful that this is giving some peace of mind to others who were scared like me. I was somebody who was petrified of getting it. I saw others who got it and survived and came out the other side and I thought, "I'm not as strong as them. I won't make it." And I interpreted that anxious thought as being some premonition or instinct inside of me, and held onto it as the truth. And when I got the official diagnosis on Monday, I thought, well this is it, I'm not strong enough to handle this. But you know what? I'm still here, and I plan and hope to be here to tell you that I've beaten this thing because I was strong enough, and you are too!
    Good to know you're feeling a little better today.

Just keep remembering that the vast majority of Covid infectees so far have luckily recovered and the odds are that might be you.

Sadly, Covid fatalities seem to get far more media attention than recoveries, and it's a source of shame that while the UK initially had some rough stats on Covid recoveries, they were scrapped entirely towards the end of March, which makes me wonder if there might have been (and still might be) hidden agendas at play with our govt.

You've proved you're strong enough to handle this mentally and physically. It's a big test but you may find that experiencing covid and coming through it works wonders for your mental wellbeing. I really hope so.

Another day of illness to be crossed off..Another day towards recovery and relief!

@Pulisa, your positivity and support has been so helpful through this. Thank you so much!

Just a quick update: Day 13 of symptoms, Day 17 of exposure: Things are progressing along. Feeling better than last week, with some minor lingering symptoms. Congestion and an occasional productive cough (usually after laying down for a while, makes sense in relation to the congestion), minor sore throat, and some sinus pressure/headache (again, related to the congestion, all makes sense). Sense of taste and smell is about 70% back, which is a welcome progression. I will never take advantage of being able to taste a banana again in my life . Biggest overall symptom continues to be fatigue, which I'm told can and will likely extend past the virus, and that makes sense. My body has done and is continuing to do a great job to fight this virus, and it's needing some extra TLC and rest. I've been supporting it as much as I can with vitamins (C, D, and Zinc), healthy foods, water, tea, and rest. Dayquil/Nyquil continue to be helpful with treating my symptoms, although I'm becoming more more independent of it.

Overall I'd say I'm hovering around feeling 75-80% back to normal. I worked a half day yesterday and am working a full day today (shh, don't tell my boss I'm posting an update during work ), and although I am tired I'm doing okay! It's going to be a slow, gentle road to recovery, but I'll get there. I have a test scheduled for tomorrow, and I really, really hope that it's negative, but it's possible it won't be. That will be disappointing, but I'll continue to heal and keep myself and others save as my body rids itself of the virus.

I have anxiety over admitting that I think I'm going to be okay (superstitious and magical thinking are corner stones of my anxiety), but I'm working to challenge that, so here goes: I think I've gotten through the worst of it guys! I'll continue to post updates as my recovery progresses, but I do want to repeat something I said earlier: I was certain, 100% positive, that if I got this virus that it would end me. And I got it, and got sick, and yet I'm still here here. And I think I'm going to be here for a long time. If you're nervous, it's okay to be nervous, but try to challenge that fatalistic thinking. I hope none of you get this virus, but remember that if you do, it is not a death sentence. If you're getting nervous, ask yourself this, "If I had to bet my entire life savings on whether I would survive Covid, what would I put my money on?" If I had to bet my life savings, I'd put my money on you surviving, just like me Numbers are on your side. Deep breaths and reach out for help whenever you need. We're all here for you!

I do hope you're still doing well and thank you again for sharing your experience of Covid. It's so good of you to help and encourage others too despite quite naturally being anxious and scared yourself.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information