Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need to fix this

Re: I need to fix this

So glad that you took such a massive step in getting the help you need. I can't believe how long it is to get CBT though but my counsellor has said that there is such a high demand with the current situation so its not surprising. I started Sertaline a couple of months ago and I'm not going to lie, the side effects were terrible at first, I had headaches, shaking, muscle twitches and tinnatus but it does get better. Really hope that you start to see improvements soon but you should be really proud of yourself for taking the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by akirru View Post
    I'll keep you guys posted and I just want to say thanks!!!!!!!

Please do, and be proud of yourself that you're actively taking steps to control your HA.

Hi all,

I just thought I'd do another follow-up. So it has been a month on the meds (Sertraline). So firstly I want to say that I'm starting to feel better. When I first talked to the Dr and started the meds. I was on cloud nine. Now I know in the early weeks it was just placebo as the meds take around 3 weeks to start working. But I think talking to a doctor and just generally opening up about my anxiety to people like yourselves has really helped my journey. The doctor was very understanding and she agreed to take me seriously at any future appointments no matter how irrational I was being.

After the appointment I wrote a list of medical issues that were bothering me. Let me tell you, it was a long list!
    I looked at the list and decided I would try to forget about the issues for as long as possible before my next appointment or phone call. I could then ask the Dr about them, instead of doing my usual googling etc. I'm not going to say I felt great. But I did feel there was a certain element of weight lifted. I could breath again and get on with my day. As the weeks passed sometimes I would fall back into old habits, but just knowing that I could ask my Dr at any time made me stop.

In the first 2 weeks I didn't have too many side effects. A sore stomach a couple of days but nothing major. I tried not to read too much about the meds and their side effects as I knew that would feed my anxiety. By the third week I was having bad constipation, cramps, insomnia and then some diarrhea. I also felt my anxiety was getting worse at first. But I was led to believe this was normal for a lot of people and I knew I just had to stick with it. I was fed up feeling this way after all. I have felt that during the last week or so my body has started to adjust better and I'm starting to sleep better and the symptoms are passing etc. It was also really helping my anxiety. I hadn't felt this way in a long time!!! Normally at nights I feel like I'm in an endless cycle of thoughts and stress, but now I feel like I can get to sleep.

So it's early days and I still have a long way to go but I'm seeing changes and this makes me feel so happy. I know a lot of people say this, but I really wish I'd gone to the Dr sooner. I needn't have been apprehensive seeing her or taking the meds. The Dr also mentioned that I might need to increase my dose as time goes on. She said a lot of people get the initial boost and then get more anxiety again. So she gave me permission to double up my does if necessary. I talked about the things that were really bothering me and she helped me with each issue. She also explained them way better than google ever could.

So I'm on my way and I have people like you to thank! I'm sure this will be something I will deal with throughout my life but now I know what to do and where I can find the tools to help.

Take care all

Great news! Proof that taking personal responsibility, action and working on positive mindsets pays dividends that will benefit you moving forward

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information