Thread: How are the early dark nights affecting your anxiety?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How are the early dark nights affecting your anxiety?

Some years I've noticed my anxiety improves when it gets dark early and other years it worsens. This year so far it's been a struggle with the early dark nights. I think a lot of it for me this year is dealing with flashbacks to recent times when I struggled and had my worst panic attacks which happened to be night. I've noticed I can feel good all day but as soon as the sun starts to set, my anxiety becomes sky high and I feel like I'm on the verge of going crazy, the night will never end, I'll die before morning or I'll become hysterical. Typical anxiety feelings and worries, I know. My DP/DR seems worse at night too but I suppose that's a given when my anxiety is higher then.

I usually start to feel a bit better about an hour or 2 after the sun goes down and then realise that I'll just have to get through the night again as I always have done and remember morning will come again. I feel better if it turns dark when I'm outside. Maybe it's because when you are out you have more to distract you. When I'm at home and especially in the bath which faces the window, when it's nearing sunset, I am 'waiting' for it to happen and sit in dread.

Anyone else relate?
    Last edited by GingerFish; 20-10-20 at 19:41.

Thread Information