Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dentist Anxiety - Tips & Tricks etc.

Re: Dentist Anxiety - Tips & Tricks etc.

Genuinely appreciate the support and I will keep it all in mind

Anytime. Keep your head up. Were all in this together

Same goes to you bud. If you ever need a friendly ear, don't be shy to send a message.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLondon86 View Post
    Just got back from the dentist and all my fears have come to pass... really not sure what I should do :(
    What fears?

What happened?

Not a dental app (mine was ultrasound) but I do get anxious about them. in the end, I had to take my migraine meds to be able to make the appointment and I was away with the fairies - almost dozed off at one point. I can't remember what the woman looked like!

Back to the dentist though..

I've had several full-on panic attacks in the dentists chair. Turns out, I was reacting to the adrenalin in the local anaesthetic...

That something was wrong with my teeth, gums and jaw. But fingers crossed it doesn't worsen.

So the way I understand from reading your posts, you have a lot of plaque and a couple of bad teeth that need removing?

If this helps, I'd avoided the dentist for a few years (mainly for financial reasons) and then I hit the menopause and read how important gum health is for the heart, especially when women are lacking the protection of oestrogen. My gums were bleeding and in a bit of a state. It literally took one deep cleaning session to turn things around and now I have minimal plaque which gets sorted out with the hygienist. Takes her 5 minutes and she charges me £50. Her name is Rebecca but I prefer to call her Dick (as in Turpin).

Hubs has a fear of the dentist. He won't admit, but he never goes... He recently lost one of his front teeth to a Jelly Tot. Yes, a poncy Jelly Tot. Now he looks like one of The Wurzels.

Really appreciate it Nora, you good lady are a legend . Indeed the human body is essentially a biological machine where each part one way or another relies on other parts.

Just bumping this thread up as I'm having some issues tooth-wise as well. A molar on the lower jaw is causing pain. I had booked an appt in February, but then covid was kicking off so I cancelled. Anyway I'm booked in for Monday at a different dentist. A filling came out in April too, so very likely that treatment will be over two or three sessions at least. I think what I struggle with is the commitment to lay on that chair/couch, completely powerless while someone pokes about in your mouth. 2016 was the last time and that dentist had to drain the site of a previous extraction due to becoming infected. She didn't give me an anaesthetic for the draining and it HURT. But I need to keep telling myself, there's nothing a dentist can do that's any more painful than toothache.

I have a fear of dentists as well, thanks to a bad experience years ago. I’ve found now that if I’m open with the dentist about my anxieties and fears, they will do everything in their power to make it a good experience for me. So don’t be afraid to open up to them!

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    I have a fear of dentists as well, thanks to a bad experience years ago. I’ve found now that if I’m open with the dentist about my anxieties and fears, they will do everything in their power to make it a good experience for me. So don’t be afraid to open up to them!
    Thank you for that glassgirl. Dental anxiety is common I think for most people regardless of whether they have an anxiety diagnosis. For us its a double whammy in many respects, but for me its probably the being stuck there in that chair that's a bigger fear than any pain. And anaesthetics are much better than they once were.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information