Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dentist Anxiety - Tips & Tricks etc.

Re: Dentist Anxiety - Tips & Tricks etc.

Oh I absolutely agree. A big one for me is feeling trapped with no escape route. And when you’re in that chair, you’re stuck. So I totally understand the fears!!! I do think overcoming it and doing the thing we fear, making it through and then looking back on it, is a big step forward in conquering our anxieties for good. Doesn’t mean it still isn’t a struggle for us though

Very true glassgirl. I had the receptionist phone today and offer me an appt for the morning. And not a moment too soon as this pain has kicked off this evening, becoming very intense.

I’m so glad you can get in tomorrow. Yes the anxiety will be running high but you’ll feel so much better once it’s done.

Ive struggled with horrible toothaches in the past, my dentists have always had me alternate ibuprofen and Tylenol. I’m not sure if you have similarities over your way but it might be worth a try. Also hot packs over the affected cheek would help as well

Hi glassgirl, I saw the dentist this morning. It was just an assessment so no work done. The tooth in question could be extracted or root-filled as he thinks its saveable. But that won't be until the 21st at high noon. So pain management until then, which all day has looked a doddle until it kicked off this evening. I've taken a couple of codeine to try and settle it and some ibuprofen earlier. I opted for root canal because I can't afford any more lost teeth.

Anxiety-wise I did great until laying in that chair and seeing the lamp pulled down. Then a whoosh of high anxiety but thankfully it subsided, I seem to remember babbling to some of his questions. But one question was how I felt about dental work, that was virtually unheard of when I was a kid.

Fishman you did great!!! So proud of you for getting in that chair. That is the hardest part for me so I completely get it. Congrats!!

I do hate that they have to do an “assessment” and can’t just do the work then and there. Then I always have to psych myself up to go back again, which is really difficult because by then, the tooth doesn’t hurt anymore so I lose motivation to keep the appointment.

I will say, I’ve had a root canal a couple years back, lost countless nights of sleep over it, and it was actually a super easy experience. Took about 45 minutes total but for some reason it went by really fast. Didn’t even hardly notice them doing any work, he was great about making sure I was good and numb. So numb that I drooled on myself for most of the rest of the day lol. But it helped quench that dental fear a little for me.

Aww thanks glassgirl Yes I know what you mean about not just getting on with it, but they have time constraints I suppose. But it would have been great to have it over with. There's another tooth has to come out, it lost a filling in April and part of the tooth came away. Also a root section that was left in from a previous unmentionable dentist. Oh yes drooling is the downside from anaesthesia LOL. Better drooling than pain though.

I have a small bit of advice: I've had to visit the dentist 3 times in the past 4 weeks. In the past, I've never been good with oral hygiene. I ended up with an abscess that lead to a wisdom tooth extraction. In short, look after your teeth and save that extra anxiety lol.

Yes you're right Mr X, there's no getting away from it. Going to the dentist and just having a polish would be so much better.

Mr X gave the best advice... look after yourself to avoid any excess anxiety. But most of the time if you mentioned that you have anxiety, the dentist and dental nurse will try to reassure you as much as possible... which is what happened to me with this new dentist.

Dentist tomorrow at 12 noon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information