Thread: Obsessed with bathing

Obsessed with bathing

Hi there.
    I am really ashamed to talk about this with anyone. This started a couple of months ago, I suffer from OCD and health anxiety, but my obsession is not really connected to health... I am aware that what I am doing is harmful but I can't help it.

I am really obsessed with taking showers and bathing, I have to start my day with a nice long shower. During the day I am taking 2-3 more showers, so on my worst days I have aroung 4 showers. To the point where my skin is dry and inflamed...

What is more, I am constantly thinking of the next time when I am going to take a bath/shower and I am planning all of my activities around it.

Do you have any advice? It is getting uncontrollable and I would like to reduce the showers to 1-2 a day, but I don't know how.

Re: Obsessed with bathing

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyesShining View Post
    Hi there.
    I am really ashamed to talk about this with anyone. This started a couple of months ago, I suffer from OCD and health anxiety, but my obsession is not really connected to health... I am aware that what I am doing is harmful but I can't help it.

I am really obsessed with taking showers and bathing, I have to start my day with a nice long shower. During the day I am taking 2-3 more showers, so on my worst days I have aroung 4 showers. To the point where my skin is dry and inflamed...

What is more, I am constantly thinking of the next time when I am going to take a bath/shower and I am planning all of my activities around it.

Do you have any advice? It is getting uncontrollable and I would like to reduce the showers to 1-2 a day, but I don't know how.
    You need some therapy. What are you doing to address your OCD?
    There is a light. There is. Look for it. Look for it shining over your shoulder, on the past. It was light where you went once. It is light where you are now. It will be light where you will go again. ~ Jennifer Worth

I have started CBT a couple of months ago.

And no matter now much I am bathing, I still feel the need that I have to be cleaner. I am afraid of unpleasant smells, even though I am aware that I am clean I can't stop doing it...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyesShining View Post
    I have started CBT a couple of months ago.

And no matter now much I am bathing, I still feel the need that I have to be cleaner. I am afraid of unpleasant smells, even though I am aware that I am clean I can't stop doing it...
    Sounds like severe OCD to me, so you're going to need longer than a few months of therapy. Maybe medication would help as well? This is an awful condition. I feel for you.
    There is a light. There is. Look for it. Look for it shining over your shoulder, on the past. It was light where you went once. It is light where you are now. It will be light where you will go again. ~ Jennifer Worth

Thread Information