Thread: Obsessed with bathing

Obsessed with bathing

Hi there.
    I am really ashamed to talk about this with anyone. This started a couple of months ago, I suffer from OCD and health anxiety, but my obsession is not really connected to health... I am aware that what I am doing is harmful but I can't help it.

I am really obsessed with taking showers and bathing, I have to start my day with a nice long shower. During the day I am taking 2-3 more showers, so on my worst days I have aroung 4 showers. To the point where my skin is dry and inflamed...

What is more, I am constantly thinking of the next time when I am going to take a bath/shower and I am planning all of my activities around it.

Do you have any advice? It is getting uncontrollable and I would like to reduce the showers to 1-2 a day, but I don't know how.

Re: Obsessed with bathing

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyesShining View Post
    Hi there.
    I am really ashamed to talk about this with anyone. This started a couple of months ago, I suffer from OCD and health anxiety, but my obsession is not really connected to health... I am aware that what I am doing is harmful but I can't help it.

I am really obsessed with taking showers and bathing, I have to start my day with a nice long shower. During the day I am taking 2-3 more showers, so on my worst days I have aroung 4 showers. To the point where my skin is dry and inflamed...

What is more, I am constantly thinking of the next time when I am going to take a bath/shower and I am planning all of my activities around it.

Do you have any advice? It is getting uncontrollable and I would like to reduce the showers to 1-2 a day, but I don't know how.
    You need some therapy. What are you doing to address your OCD?

I have started CBT a couple of months ago.

And no matter now much I am bathing, I still feel the need that I have to be cleaner. I am afraid of unpleasant smells, even though I am aware that I am clean I can't stop doing it...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyesShining View Post
    I have started CBT a couple of months ago.

And no matter now much I am bathing, I still feel the need that I have to be cleaner. I am afraid of unpleasant smells, even though I am aware that I am clean I can't stop doing it...
    Sounds like severe OCD to me, so you're going to need longer than a few months of therapy. Maybe medication would help as well? This is an awful condition. I feel for you.

Thread Information