Thread: Need help with an obsession I'm going to hurt my back if I do anything

Need help with an obsession I'm going to hurt my back if I do anything

Hi All
    I am in a bit of a rough place right now and not sure how to move forward I have suffered with Anxiety for about 30 years and have coped with it the best way I could at the time..but for the last year I have convinced myself that I have a back problem and if I do any lifting I will slip a disk so I stopped doing any lifting, but now I've stopped doing anything that I think might put me at risk or in danger of injury and it's doing my head in and taking over my life as I risk assess everything and if I do do something I have to go over it a thousand times I need some advice please before I go nuts 😯

Re: Need help with an obsession I'm going to hurt my back if I do anything

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Hi All
    I am in a bit of a rough place right now and not sure how to move forward I have suffered with Anxiety for about 30 years and have coped with it the best way I could at the time..but for the last year I have convinced myself that I have a back problem and if I do any lifting I will slip a disk so I stopped doing any lifting, but now I've stopped doing anything that I think might put me at risk or in danger of injury and it's doing my head in and taking over my life as I risk assess everything and if I do do something I have to go over it a thousand times I need some advice please before I go nuts
    When I was faced with thoughts like this I would challenge them with ‘so what if I do?’ The first thing I realised at the beginning of my recovery was frankly no amount of my thinking about things can change what happens to me.

If you hurt your back (which you are only convinced in yourself that you have an injury to, no actual medical fact) you go to the DRs, they asses what the actual problem is and you go from there. It’s no different than if you hurt any other part of your body.

What is it that makes you focus on your back? What are the consequences of hurting your back that you fear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thank you for your message I'm not really sure why the obsession with my back is think it's because it hurts everytime I do a task and I have a few days of pain..it's a strange one but every time I think I've hurt it I go into panic mode and have to seek reassurance from family who are quite frankly sick to death of listening to me and I don't blame them. My fear is hurting mysrelf in general I'm not quite sure why? I'm so scared I even avoid doctors in case it's bad news..to other people this all seems
    stupid and can't understand why I'm worrying so much, I just can't seem to move forward..I do tend to ficsate on my health and this is impacting my life, my world is getting smaller and smaller and I need to break this cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    but for the last year I have convinced myself that I have a back problem
    I'd be trying to work out where (or who) this has originated from?

Thread Information