Thread: Reassurance needed

Reassurance needed

I’m new on here and really need some reassurance as HA has been getting the best of me recently. For about the past year I’ve been “feeling” this strange sensitive sensation on my the skin of my left upper leg up to my bum. I feel it around 50% of the time I reckon and it comes and goes. I’ve never had any rashes, marks or lumps or anything and it’s not itchy just more a sensitive/ mild pain type feeling... I’ve jumped straight to the conclusion that I have some undiagnosed STI even though I’ve been tested and reassured by multiple health professionals. Is this all in my head - or is there actually something wrong with me?

Re: Reassurance needed

Have you spoken to any health professionals about it or did they only talk about the STI's? I had something similar on my neck for a while where my skin felt uncomfortable and a little bit painful at times, which turned out to be an ingrown hair and I removed it myself when I noticed a small dark mark. Sorry I cannot give any further reassurances.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy1097 View Post
    I’m new on here and really need some reassurance as HA has been getting the best of me recently. For about the past year I’ve been “feeling” this strange sensitive sensation on my the skin of my left upper leg up to my bum. I feel it around 50% of the time I reckon and it comes and goes. I’ve never had any rashes, marks or lumps or anything and it’s not itchy just more a sensitive/ mild pain type feeling... I’ve jumped straight to the conclusion that I have some undiagnosed STI even though I’ve been tested and reassured by multiple health professionals. Is this all in my head - or is there actually something wrong with me?
    This, believe it or not, is a symptom with anxiety. When I had my nervous breakdown, I had this on my thigh, chest and foot and it lasted for weeks at a time. There was never a rash or any visible cause for the sensation.

With anxiety, it's due to hyperstimulation, and it's caused by the stress response. The nerve endings become overstimulated and send the wrong info to the brain.

If you've been highly anxious for a while - I'd suggest that this is the most likely cause, but it's my policy to have all new (and lingering) symptoms checked by my GP.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    This, believe it or not, is a symptom with anxiety. When I had my nervous breakdown, I had this on my thigh, chest and foot and it lasted for weeks at a time. There was never a rash or any visible cause for the sensation.

With anxiety, it's due to hyperstimulation, and it's caused by the stress response. The nerve endings become overstimulated and send the wrong info to the brain.

If you've been highly anxious for a while - I'd suggest that this is the most likely cause, but it's my policy to have all new (and lingering) symptoms checked by my GP.
    Thank you for that, it’s just so mad to think that your brain can make you feel something like that. It’s only on one side and it varies from me feeling like a small patch is sensitive to me feeling like the whole back of the top of my leg and bum are hurting. I went to see a GP and they said skin can just be sensitive sometimes and to switch to non-bio detergents etc in case it was that. I feel completely mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy1097 View Post
    Thank you for that, it’s just so mad to think that your brain can make you feel something like that. It’s only on one side and it varies from me feeling like a small patch is sensitive to me feeling like the whole back of the top of my leg and bum are hurting. I went to see a GP and they said skin can just be sensitive sometimes and to switch to non-bio detergents etc in case it was that. I feel completely mad.
    I would expect there to be something visible if it were a dermo issue due to detergents?

I've had dermo issues due to using bath oils etc but my entire body was affected, not just one part.

If changing the detergent works, great. If not, you can chalk this one up to anxiety.

Thread Information