Thread: Is this normal?

Is this normal?

Hi everyone, been a while since I last posted about heart worries which I mostly managed to overcome with medication and some more exercise but I've encountered something that is spooking me a little bit and wondered if anyone could help out.

So for the past few nights whenever I've been sat down on my computer getting on with my work I tend to feel a thud in my chest which I have had before so I forgot about it, then last night and the night before It happened again, they mostly tend to happen after my meals or when im trying to relax at night, So i felt my pulse and my heart rate was feeling a bit quick and every so often (roughly 40 beats or something) it would pause then thud harder and continue. Now A month or so ago I had an ECG and a full health blood check (Cholesterol etc) and the doctor said it's all fine and nothing to be concerned about, and I believe I've had these before but I'm not entirely sure.

Someone did mention "Skipped beats" or something and it made me a bit worried something is wrong, has anyone experienced this and is it normal to get skipped beats out of nowhere after so long?

Thank you all

Re: Is this normal?

Very common with anxiety, and it can happen more after meals because your vagus nerve is stimulated. You might have a bit of reflux.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleman200 View Post
    Someone did mention "Skipped beats" or something and it made me a bit worried something is wrong, has anyone experienced this and is it normal to get skipped beats out of nowhere after so long?
    Skipped beats' are nothing to worry about. You've had the all clear with your heart, so this is most likely down to anxiety (the stress response and hypersensitivity to be exact) or it could be that you've not been drinking enough water?

Stimulants can cause them - so caffeine, medications, food, alcohol, nicotine etc. I get them when I eat chocolate, or anything sugary, as well as when I'm actively stressing about something.

When I get the skippers, I cough because it stimulates the vagus nerve which helps to regulate the heartbeats. Anything like splashing your face with cold water or having a cold shower will stimulate the V nerve, but a cough is instantaneous and convenient. Works for me!

Thank you both! Yeah it certainly seems to sort it out when i cough and then it usually comes back but then I cough again and it goes away a bit so it's rather amusing, I'll try drinking much more water. I've heard magnesium is good for these "Ectopic beats" so i'll go out and get some bananas and try to increase my intake a bit.

Gotta admit they are damn scary! Even if normal!

Thank you both! Yeah it certainly seems to sort it out when i cough and then it usually comes back but then I cough again and it goes away a bit so it's rather amusing, I'll try drinking much more water. I've heard magnesium is good for these "Ectopic beats" so i'll go out and get some bananas and try to increase my intake a bit.

Gotta admit they are damn scary! Even if normal!
    Yes, magnesium helped a lot with mine. I found out as a happy side effect of taking mag for my constipation issues.

They're only scary if you don't understand them.

I agree NoraB. I usually don't notice them when i'm busy but when i'm relaxing i can feel the thud near my stomach. Not to mention if i'm feeling particularly stupid i'll feel my pulse and feel it happen then. (trying not to check this often really)

I agree NoraB. I usually don't notice them when i'm busy but when i'm relaxing i can feel the thud near my stomach. Not to mention if i'm feeling particularly stupid i'll feel my pulse and feel it happen then. (trying not to check this often really)
    Pulse checking will only add fuel to the fire. Whenever you feel the urge to check - go do something else.

Thread Information