Thread: Working for yourself/working from home

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Working for yourself/working from home

Do you think your anxiety and general mental health would improve if you could work for yourself, or work from home (or both?). I find everything so much harder when I'm working for other people. When I have control, I feel so much more confident. For example, I could (and have) run a car boot sale, dealing with different people, haggling over prices, etc, and been fine. But that's because it was MY car and I was working for myself. Yet if you made me work in a secondhand shop, doing exactly the same thing (selling garbage to the public), I'd hate it. The difference is that I'd have no control - plus I'd be trapped in a building with a boss.

Have you ever considered retraining in something so you could work for yourself? My problem is a lack of ideas. I have an MA in English literature and psychoanalysis, yet very little experience. Thanks to mental illness, especially social anxiety (and avoidant/schizoid personality), I have only ever done retail and delivery jobs, usually for minimum wage.
    Last edited by Phoenix76; 24-10-20 at 17:30.

Thread Information