Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst case scenario has happened & I am not coping

Re: Worst case scenario has happened & I am not coping

Thank you! Have been feeling completely normal today and yesterday. Rash has gone. Managed to organise some testing for the day after tomorrow (everything else meant waiting in line, which I'm not going to do). So results by Friday, probably. Almost two full weeks after exposure. Not going to help me much this week, but what can you do. Talked to my doctor who thinks it's very unlikely I caught it (outdoor, distanced situation, rash as only symptom 8 days later). I'm probably going to have to deal with a lot of health anxiety this week, but I knew it was going to be rough. At least mentally. My sister and husband who were at the same dinner with my Dad are completely unfazed as they have no symptoms at all. Just I had that stupid rash. So everyone around me (including several doctors) is very much not worried. Wish I could be like them.

But you're not and that's ok.

You're feeling completely normal and have not yet had a positive test. Covid (if indeed it IS covid) could be an absolute doddle for you and you will have wasted all that anxious energy on nothing but a random rash which also could be a red herring. Take heart from the fact that the docs aren't worried. You will be but that's just you and your HA. The fact is that you are feeling completely normal which is very good news.

I'm sure you're right. Of course I've now developed a (tension?) headache which worries me. It's going to be a LONG week.

@Lushchicken, something that helped me was to set an alarm at the top of every hour from 9am-9pm for a “symptom check in”. The thought was that I wouldn’t think about or spend energy on my symptoms or what I was feeling except for those times. Of course, I ended up thinking about them a lot more than just once an hour, but the alarm did help me gain some perspective. I could be going down a hole and freaking out, thinking that this was it and I was about the crash, then the alarm would go off and I would think, “so how do I feel compared to an hour ago? Do I really feel that much worse?” And the answer would always be no. Something to consider!

I'm doing something similar. I take my temp every hour and jot it down in my digital diary together with any symptoms. Then I try to let it go. Writing things down always helps me, for some reason.

Ok, testing is done. Should be able to get results tomorrow or by noon Friday the latest. Still convinced I will test positive and have no idea where I would take it from there. I'm still not symptomatic beyond the rash I had for 2 days. So I have no idea when I would be able to let myself off the hook and relax if I were to test positive. I am now 10 days past exposure, 6 days past 'symptom' (rash). It just feels like this won't ever end or feel ok if that test comes back positive. My main worry, at the moment.

And if it comes back negative? Would you worry that the test was inaccurate?

Pulisa, I'm usually quite good at accepting test results, so I wouldn't anticipate any problems there.

Take it as it comes? If it's positive you've already got several days under your belt. You'll be on tenterhooks but you're ok so far. How is your dad?

He's back to normal, basically. 70, not particularly fit but only felt a little tired and head achey. Massively lucky. I'm ok physically, but the last 6 days have easily been some of the worst of my life, mentally. And I've been through some awful stuff. I really don't know how I will get through about another week of this, constantly scared of getting worse.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information