Thread: How Many Days Constipation ?

How Many Days Constipation ?

How many days have you been constipated before it resolved.How did it make you feel ?

Re: How Many Days Constipation ?

The longest was a week. I felt quite uncomfortable in myself and a little nauseous at times. I’ve never let it get to that point again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

I've been constipated for years. You can pass stool and be constipated, but going without any kind of BM? I'd say about 4 days, and I felt terrible. At my worst with this, I ended up in the out of hours GP service and a nice doctor suggested I whack down 8 sachets of Movicol (in one go) to clean out my colon. He said that a lot of people find that their bowels 'reset' after a colonoscopy (and the prep from hell) and this might work for me? It did work. The world fell out of my arse and then things improved until they worsened again, but I now know that I was on a gluten free diet at the time - therefore eating lots of rice based food which was bunging me up.

Obviously, you need your GP's advice when taking laxatives...

That was several years ago now. My IBS is predominately constipation based, but, as a side effect of taking magnesium to help with my heart symptoms (anxiety), I found that I was going for a poo everyday and only need half of the recommended daily dose in order to perform.

Speak to your GP, maybe try a colon massage, and look at your diet to see if you are eating foods which will constipate you?

I've been having problems with constipation for most of my adult life (so 10+ years now). In the beginning I think it happened because I could never really relax when I wasn't at home, which meant I never got the "urge" to go to the bathroom for nr 2.. This was fine and all for most of the time (as I usually returned to my home in the evening even if I spent time at a friends place etc).. But it became a huge problem everytime we went on vacation or stayed at a relatives place over xmas etc.

But on to your question I think the longest I've gone without pooping at all is somewhere around a week. By then I usually feel quite uncomfortable and my appetite disappear. Nowadays if I haven't gone for 3-4 days I either just eat a bunch of prunes for breakfast or take some lactulose in a glass of juice.

Quote Originally Posted by lobbie View Post
    I've been having problems with constipation for most of my adult life (so 10+ years now). In the beginning I think it happened because I could never really relax when I wasn't at home, which meant I never got the "urge" to go to the bathroom for nr 2..
    My colon will only perform in our own postcode.

Thread Information