Page 59 of 148 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: The vaccine

Re: The vaccine

Moderna's Covid vaccine appears to work against new, more infectious variants of the pandemic virus found in the UK and South Africa, say scientists from the US pharmaceutical company.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55797312

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I really don't think that people in this country will be forced into being vaccinated by law, though it might be a requirement prior to certain 'risky' activities, such as international travel.
    Which, considering there are countries that require proof of inoculation against other diseases - e.g. yellow fever - I don't see as a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Which, considering there are countries that require proof of inoculation against other diseases - e.g. yellow fever - I don't see as a problem.
    I was probably saying it from a more 'on the fence' POV.

Though I personally would jump at the chance to be vaccinated ASAP if I received a letter tomorrow.

Good news about the Moderna vaccine
    though.

I really don't think that people in this country will be forced into being vaccinated by law, though it might be a requirement prior to certain 'risky' activities, such as international travel.
    The legal ramifications from the workplace duty of care are currently in the juries out phase. Employers could reasonable ask their employees to have the vaccination as part of their duty of care to others in the workplace. The grey area is those who object on religious grounds, there are some grounds for the needle-phobic, but that is currently uncertain. What does seem to be clear is anti-vax or personal choice would not be looked on sympathetically by an employment tribunal should disciplinary or dismissal action take place following refusal. It may not be the government who ultimately drives vaccine legal requirements but general law and you and an employers duty of care to those you work with.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/co...ics-employers/

Insurance companies may also play a part in their premiums for both personal and company premiums for those who refuse. How long before a Covid clause appears on life assurance and mortgage protection policies?

It seems as if the media are now trying to politicise the vaccine situation, with some kind of vaccine 'nationalism' between the UK, mainland Europe and the USA (Oxford AZ vs Pfizer vs Moderna, etc), and even trying to shoehorn Brexit into it.

Whilst I do fully acknowledge there are currently teething problems with the vaccine rollout in mainland Europe, it does seem that the UK press in particular are hyping up the issue and spewing out conflicting information as per usual.

I for one am simply appreciative of the fact that we actually have Covid vaccines at all right now, which for the most part of last year seemed like a distant dream, and don't really care which one I end up being given, as so far the differences between them all are believed to be negligible at the very most.

There's apparently a Johnson &Johnson vaccine which looks promising and only needs a single dose?

I nominate Pamplemousse for that one for the manufacturer's name alone...

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    There's apparently a Johnson &Johnson vaccine which looks promising and only needs a single dose?

I nominate Pamplemousse for that one for the manufacturer's name alone...
    Bend over, Pamplemousse

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    The legal ramifications from the workplace duty of care are currently in the juries out phase. Employers could reasonable ask their employees to have the vaccination as part of their duty of care to others in the workplace. The grey area is those who object on religious grounds, there are some grounds for the needle-phobic, but that is currently uncertain. What does seem to be clear is anti-vax or personal choice would not be looked on sympathetically by an employment tribunal should disciplinary or dismissal action take place following refusal. It may not be the government who ultimately drives vaccine legal requirements but general law and you and an employers duty of care to those you work with.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/co...ics-employers/

Insurance companies may also play a part in their premiums for both personal and company premiums for those who refuse. How long before a Covid clause appears on life assurance and mortgage protection policies?
    Interesting how personal choice is separated from religion but I assume the former is covered as a protected characteristic?
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 27-01-21 at 06:10. Reason: 2nd personal choice should have been religion

It seems as if the media are now trying to politicise the vaccine situation, with some kind of vaccine 'nationalism' between the UK, mainland Europe and the USA (Oxford AZ vs Pfizer vs Moderna, etc), and even trying to shoehorn Brexit into it.

Whilst I do fully acknowledge there are currently teething problems with the vaccine rollout in mainland Europe, it does seem that the UK press in particular are hyping up the issue and spewing out conflicting information as per usual.

I for one am simply appreciative of the fact that we actually have Covid vaccines at all right now, which for the most part of last year seemed like a distant dream, and don't really care which one I end up being given, as so far the differences between them all are believed to be negligible at the very most.
    I think statements from the EU are fueling this. They are unhappy agreed shipments are falling behind but it's interesting they aren't for us. And why are they concentrating on Oxford when Pfizer are being such problems?

It's very dangerous when a government starts thinking it should stop private business exporting under these circumstances. It's fair it's done in certain circumstances such as weapons to regimes they disapprove off but a vaccine to save lives is very different.

Page 59 of 148 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread Information