Page 92 of 101 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast
Results 911 to 920 of 1006

Thread: The vaccine

  1. #911
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    1,884

    Re: The vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Nurses won't assist you with that, Terry
    Neither do wives
    __________________
    'It was a wedding ring, destined to be found in a cheap hotel, lost in a kitchen sink, or thrown in a wishing well' - Marillion, Clutching at Straws, 1987

  2. #912
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    1,884

    Re: The vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Just everyone do their best. If your anxiety is more severe then you may struggle to get the jab for a number of reasons. For me it would be the need to escape a room I felt under pressure in and putting something in my body. The latter being anxiety over not being able to escape any problems rather than concerns about rarer, more severe side effects. The former I'm long over but the latter still has a way to go (not with this jab) where associations still exist to much earlier high anxiety periods (mostly around exercise and supplements now).

    But when I was at my worst it was a much bigger struggle. I broke a tooth a couple of months into a horrible med side effect period, where I was much worse than before reaching out to my GP for help, so it was an obvious nightmare going to the place most people dislike anyway. Before anxiety I was fine with the dentist as I had a fair few teeth pulled at a young age but there is still some obvious natural concern. But now it was a very different matter.

    The tooth was infected and had to come out after 2 visits and 2 courses of antibiotics. I got through them with willpower and my dad took me which gave me less of a chance to back out. The 3rd visit was the pull and I was up all night over that. I got no more than an hours sleep and felt so rough. Insomnia was a bad trigger for me and my anxiety has always been worst upon waking. I still battle with the waking cortisol issue now.

    I bottled it. But I made a new appointment and that one I stuck too. It wasn't easy, the dentist struggled to even access the tooth but did a good job and he was very friendly. He was a cover as my dentist had gone on maternity. I signed up to this practice because of the tooth after many years not going as my previous dentist left the area and I couldn't be bothered (like so many of us in our twenties. Indestructible like Fishman said). I got through the appointment using an intense focussing technique.

    After I was a bit wiped out. Anxiety was high and the next couple of days were difficult. After the appointment we popped into Pets At Home for some stuff for our dog and a look around. Back then going in shops was a massive trigger for me but I did it after another trigger. Having a look at the pets in there helped too if you're an animal lover.

    Once all over the same old frustrating crap became an issue as it always does until you start getting some progress. But I got through it. The next difficulty appointment was little different despite this earlier lesson. Such is the nature of these conditions and why they are so frustrating. But knowing you can do it whilst also accepting it's going to be damn hard is a lesson we all go through at some point. Anxiety wants us to hide away but life has a habit of catching up with us so sometimes we just have to take it.

    So do what you can. I'm never going to judge someone who can't do it because of their anxiety because it would be hypocritical. But please try. You might surprise yourself. It may hurt. You may have a few horrible days afterwards. But the alternative is the anxiety bubble. It's not selfish, petty, pathetic, weak, etc because people who think that are ignorant to how nasty these conditions can get. Don't kick yourself too hard if can't do something because negativity is a boon to an anxiety disorder. Just try.

    This jab is very important. Some even here need it more than others. If it falls apart on the day be honest with the NHS and rebook. Try another day. Don't let it get pushed off the radar which is very easy with these conditions. Accept it's getting done and yes it might be a crappy experience. Distract yourself after the appointment and reduce the anxiety levels. Then you're good for a long time and have the protection you and others need.
    This is bang on the money Terry thanks mate. My anxiety is right up there and I can't work out whether its this jab or a general downturn. I'm starting to think agoraphobia is creeping in again. After all, in the last 4 months I've seen the dentist twice in December, and driven on a handful of occasions to my Dad's with a grocery item. That's it, other than walks around town with our black lab each day.

    The trouble is, and I'm probably not alone in this, but we have months of being cooped up and then suddenly we HAVE to be at a certain location at a certain time. I'm probably not making any sense.
    __________________
    'It was a wedding ring, destined to be found in a cheap hotel, lost in a kitchen sink, or thrown in a wishing well' - Marillion, Clutching at Straws, 1987

  3. #913
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    11,994

    Re: The vaccine

    Well I've been Pfizered and have to say that the whole process was completely....uneventful. The worst bit was all the waiting around, particularly afterwards. I'd say that would be the most challenging bit with anxiety....Waiting and wondering..

    Anyway am home now and am absolutely fine.

    Please everyone just have your jabs when it's your turn? Don't "research" into side effects, just get it done. If there are any valid reasons why you shouldn't have the jab, the medics will stop you from having it. This certainly wasn't like having a standard flu jab..It's an extremely well planned and thorough medical procedure.

  4. #914
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    11,994

    Re: The vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    This is bang on the money Terry thanks mate. My anxiety is right up there and I can't work out whether its this jab or a general downturn. I'm starting to think agoraphobia is creeping in again. After all, in the last 4 months I've seen the dentist twice in December, and driven on a handful of occasions to my Dad's with a grocery item. That's it, other than walks around town with our black lab each day.

    The trouble is, and I'm probably not alone in this, but we have months of being cooped up and then suddenly we HAVE to be at a certain location at a certain time. I'm probably not making any sense.

    There's certainty in the appointment time though. It's not just turn up and wait. It's a definite and a much wanted definite. Don't overthink it, Fishman. Just go and get it done.

  5. #915
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    25,249

    Re: The vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Neither do wives
    I think that one comes under should have read the contract fully before signing
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  6. #916
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    25,249

    Re: The vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Well I've been Pfizered and have to say that the whole process was completely....uneventful. The worst bit was all the waiting around, particularly afterwards. I'd say that would be the most challenging bit with anxiety....Waiting and wondering..

    Anyway am home now and am absolutely fine.

    Please everyone just have your jabs when it's your turn? Don't "research" into side effects, just get it done. If there are any valid reasons why you shouldn't have the jab, the medics will stop you from having it. This certainly wasn't like having a standard flu jab..It's an extremely well planned and thorough medical procedure.
    Great news. Should make your daughter happy.

    Pfizer getting 81% on the first jab in the Scottish hospitals study is looking good and hopefully as more data is examined that will go up.

    Anyone having the AZ won't even have to wait afterwards.

    Did you get to tut at any queue jumping celebs?
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  7. #917
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    25,249

    Re: The vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    This is bang on the money Terry thanks mate. My anxiety is right up there and I can't work out whether its this jab or a general downturn. I'm starting to think agoraphobia is creeping in again. After all, in the last 4 months I've seen the dentist twice in December, and driven on a handful of occasions to my Dad's with a grocery item. That's it, other than walks around town with our black lab each day.

    The trouble is, and I'm probably not alone in this, but we have months of being cooped up and then suddenly we HAVE to be at a certain location at a certain time. I'm probably not making any sense.
    No, I think that makes lots of sense. It's the anxiety bubble: it shrinks when you do less and expanding it back out can be hard because you've lost confidence in your ability to cope. I get into ruts because of this where routine settles in and then the routine starts to bite at you. It's one reason we need variety in our lives.

    When my GAD is at its worst I suffer agoraphobia due to this. My world shrinks and so does that protective bubble is tighter. Confidence fades. You end up sitting about doing nothing.

    You can't be doing new things all the time and environmental factors like the restrictions come into play. But if you never went out for months you are bound to be arduous when the time comes. I think it helps me to vary the walks with the dog or in my own so bit doesn't become too automatic.
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  8. #918
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    11,994

    Re: The vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Great news. Should make your daughter happy.

    Pfizer getting 81% on the first jab in the Scottish hospitals study is looking good and hopefully as more data is examined that will go up.

    Anyone having the AZ won't even have to wait afterwards.

    Did you get to tut at any queue jumping celebs?

    No celebs in Chertsey, Terry! They're all holed up in St George's Hill in nearby Weybridge.

  9. #919
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    1,884

    Re: The vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    No, I think that makes lots of sense. It's the anxiety bubble: it shrinks when you do less and expanding it back out can be hard because you've lost confidence in your ability to cope. I get into ruts because of this where routine settles in and then the routine starts to bite at you. It's one reason we need variety in our lives.

    When my GAD is at its worst I suffer agoraphobia due to this. My world shrinks and so does that protective bubble is tighter. Confidence fades. You end up sitting about doing nothing.

    You can't be doing new things all the time and environmental factors like the restrictions come into play. But if you never went out for months you are bound to be arduous when the time comes. I think it helps me to vary the walks with the dog or in my own so bit doesn't become too automatic.
    That's exactly it Terry. We see similar situations when people become institutionalised. Prisoners for example where the walls of that prison are their home for however long. Then when they're released, the outside world seems vast and frightening. Which it would be.

    But I'll be ok come Friday morning, I'm having the jab if it kills me.
    __________________
    'It was a wedding ring, destined to be found in a cheap hotel, lost in a kitchen sink, or thrown in a wishing well' - Marillion, Clutching at Straws, 1987

  10. #920
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    11,994

    Re: The vaccine

    You'll have the jab and it won't kill you. You'll be fine.

Page 92 of 101 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Covid vaccine
    By NancyW in forum Coronavirus / COVID-19
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 14-08-20, 21:51
  2. To get the vaccine or not
    By Panicandpeace in forum Rabies Concerns
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 17-11-18, 17:12
  3. Flu vaccine
    By jules321 in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-10-18, 20:39
  4. Vaccine
    By Megan99 in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-06-17, 02:45
  5. vaccine? should we or not
    By worrier1 in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-11-09, 19:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •