Page 24 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: The vaccine

Re: The vaccine

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    The anti-Vax movement have used this to further their agenda. Before a pandemic which literally affected each and every one of us, I’d bet that not many folk put much of a thought into vaccination. A fringe element have existed for years, but they’ve managed to get a lot of people on board by spreading propaganda at an alarming rate.

I’m honestly at a point now of seeing people congratulating themselves for indulging in pseudoscientific nonsense. It’s a sad state of affairs.
    Yes, the misinformation is literally killing people. I had a student who's family member died from covid because he thought it was a hoax. One of my cousins, who's a nurse, who spent 4 weeks recovering from covid, says he wants to scream when he spends all day taking care of people with covid and then sees people posting crap on facebook where they've been out with no masks.

I'm hoping that our state will make the vaccine a requirement to head back to school next year like they've done with vaccines for mumps and whooping cough. In our state, you can't go to school without immunizations or a doctor's note saying that you can't have them due to medical reasons. I think employers should also make that requirement as well.

While I'm at it, another stupidity rant.... South Dakota. That state has been the most resistant in adopting anti-covid measures. The governor refuses to pass mask requirements in SD (probably because she's a Trump supporter). SD held the huge Sturgis motorcycle rally over the summer, bringing thousands into a small town with no masks. They also had a Trump rally there with no precautions, other than it was outside. Now they have the highest death rate per capita. I don't understand how people can ignore this: a + b = c. Yet they still interview people on the news in SD and they still refuse to wear masks and they're literally dying. They say the mask wearing rate is only 50% there.

I feel like no matter what we do in CA, without these other states getting on board, it will all mean nothing as the people from these other states are still traveling for the holidays.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-dakota-covid-kristi-noem-mask-mandate/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/06/us/sturgis-coronavirus-cases.html

That's the issue with my friend, he attended a rally in London where everyone was without masks. He says there is a virus but that it has a 99.7% survival rate and why are the people being denied their rights for something 'no more dangerous than flu'. Post after post in a similar vein and therein lies the danger that my wife, Dad or even me could potentially die directly or indirectly because of his actions.

Your friend would change his tune if a close relative or friend of his were seriously affected. It's ok to be blase from an emotional distance.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    While I'm at it, another stupidity rant.... South Dakota. That state has been the most resistant in adopting anti-covid measures. The governor refuses to pass mask requirements in SD (probably because she's a Trump supporter). SD held the huge Sturgis motorcycle rally over the summer, bringing thousands into a small town with no masks. They also had a Trump rally there with no precautions, other than it was outside. Now they have the highest death rate per capita. I don't understand how people can ignore this: a + b = c. Yet they still interview people on the news in SD and they still refuse to wear masks and they're literally dying. They say the mask wearing rate is only 50% there.

I feel like no matter what we do in CA, without these other states getting on board, it will all mean nothing as the people from these other states are still traveling for the holidays.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-dakota-covid-kristi-noem-mask-mandate/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/06/us/sturgis-coronavirus-cases.html
    Dead right Vee. To quote Dr Campbell, we're only as strong as our weakest link. And while we have the South Dakota's of this world along with my 'freedom fighter' activist friend, that link is pretty damn weak.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Your friend would change his tune if a close relative or friend of his were seriously affected. It's ok to be blase from an emotional distance.
    Exactly Pulisa, would he still deny the reality? His ideology is entrenched but enough to withstand that? I don't know.

This is worrying, 36% of the US population are planning to celebrate Thanksgiving the same as they did last year, with 4% doing it even better?? 5.30 minutes -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt-RHHOMl2g

My local paper put up about possibly side effects sore arm fatigue feeling poorly for a few days doesn’t cheer me up about getting a vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    My local paper put up about possibly side effects sore arm fatigue feeling poorly for a few days doesn’t cheer me up about getting a vaccine?
    Oh God, I’m not sure how you’d get through that.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    That's the issue with my friend, he attended a rally in London where everyone was without masks. He says there is a virus but that it has a 99.7% survival rate and why are the people being denied their rights for something 'no more dangerous than flu'. Post after post in a similar vein and therein lies the danger that my wife, Dad or even me could potentially die directly or indirectly because of his actions.
    99.7% survival rate seems to be the new go to. What these people don’t realise is that even if that we’re true, what percentage of folk need hospital care? What does that do to a healthcare system that generally bursts at the seams every winter?

The whole “no deadlier than flu” argument is both inaccurate and a bit pointless. Say it was as deadly as flu, for talking sake. Thousands of people die from flu each year. Many more thousands end up in hospital. So do we just accept another “flu” on top of the one we already have?

It’s a bit like saying that there’s no point in trying to stop a serial killer because he’s no deadlier than another serial killer. It’s ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    How about the side effect that you're saving lives???

Page 24 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread Information