Page 51 of 148 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: The vaccine

Re: The vaccine

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    My New Years resolution was to be more zen.
    You'll be praying to sky fairies next

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Now, not to worry anyone, but... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55579028

So what?

Nobody ever said the vaccine would be 100% effective, and infection has been shown to be more likely with higher viral load. Unfortunate, but a nurse is almost certainly in the highest risk group for infection.

This is non-news, it is an inevitability.

The good news is that the infection is now far less likely to kill her because she HAS had the vaccination.

The constant sharing of 'uh-oh' stories really is quite tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    So what?

Nobody ever said the vaccine would be 100% effective, and infection has been shown to be more likely with higher viral load. Unfortunate, but a nurse is almost certainly in the highest risk group for infection.

This is non-news, it is an inevitability.

The good news is that the infection is now far less likely to kill her because she HAS had the vaccination.

The constant sharing of 'uh-oh' stories really is quite tiresome.
    You seem to have missed the point.

What my post serves to illustrate is that the vaccine is not - repeat, NOT - the "get out of jail free" card people think it is. Nor does it appear to reduce transmission of the virus - a key point most people are ignoring.

Two of my relatives work in the NHS "front-line" and yet haven't caught it, despite living in one of the purple areas on the Government map.

This looks good, the gutter press will be so upset.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pfizer-...ovid-variants/

And here too regarding reinfection, more bad news for the doom merchants.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3kQoyCCLmY

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    And here too regarding reinfection, more bad news for the doom merchants.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3kQoyCCLmY
    Christ, the comments under that... sometimes it makes me think that we need a virus that wipes out 99% of the human race just to teach it a lesson; but I doubt it'd learn even then.

One colleague claims she had it twice - once in March, once in June.

Christ, the comments under that... sometimes it makes me think that we need a virus that wipes out 99% of the human race just to teach it a lesson; but I doubt it'd learn even then.
    PM, whenever I read alarmist reports from those that take delight in frightening the public, I go back to Dr Campbell. He's a calm and reassuring voice amongst all the trash out there. He can't control who comments on his videos sadly.

What my post serves to illustrate is that the vaccine is not - repeat, NOT - the "get out of jail free" card people think it is. Nor does it appear to reduce transmission of the virus - a key point most people are ignoring.

Two of my relatives work in the NHS "front-line" and yet haven't caught it, despite living in one of the purple areas on the Government map.
    Reduction in transmission isn’t anywhere near as important as symptomatic disease prevention, though.

It’s estimated that the mortality rate of this virus is around 1%. If 95% of folk who get the virus develop no symptoms, that takes out the virus in two ways. 1, with no symptoms a person is far less likely to transmit the virus in the first place. 2, if only 5% of people who get the virus develop symptoms, that’s going to mean only 1% of those will succumb to the disease.

I don’t want to be that guy who says that any death is acceptable, it isn’t, but there does come a point when the word “negligible” has to be used. One would have to say that a vaccine that prevents symptomatic disease in 95% of those who get it will surely, given time, render the resulting mortality rate as negligible.

I don't think any 'normal' thinking person assumed it would be a get out of jail free card.

The vaccine is about the prevention of critical illness more than anything else (imo), and it's way too early to predict transmission reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Reduction in transmission isn’t anywhere near as important as symptomatic disease prevention, though.
    So why the lockdowns then?

Page 51 of 148 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread Information