Thread: Woolworths rumoured to return in 2021

Woolworths rumoured to return in 2021

I read about this in a thread on Digital Spy (in the General Discussion sub-
    section), though I haven't seen anything on the BBC News website as yet about it.

The original thread was started back in 2017 amid earlier speculation of Woolies making a possible comeback that never materialised at the time, but it's now seemingly being reconsidered once again, according to the Metro newspaper (linked from the Digital Spy thread).

If it turns out to be true, I don't really know what to make of it. Although half of me felt saddened by its sudden demise at the time, with several thousands of job losses, especially as it was at the height of the GFC, which was inevitably the brand's final nail in the coffin, that had already been struggling for some years prior to 2008, coupled with an iconic staple of our high streets suddenly being no more, the other half thought that they (Woolies) had become rather a tired and uncool brand who were already a pale shadow of their former selves for at least 5 years before they went under, or possibly even longer.

Generally, I personally feel that any attempts to bring back Woolies in the not too distant future would be a waste of time and money, as they failed for a reason first time round, and it smacks of nothing more than trying to jump on the nostalgia bandwagon yet again, especially when we have other similar stores like Wilkos, B & M, Home Bargains, etc that have still managed to survive the further turmoil of the high street in the 12 years that have since elapsed.

What do others on here think?

Re: Woolworths rumoured to return in 2021

It is all fake apparently, Woolworths have confirmed that they are not behind the account who posted the update.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    It is all fake apparently, Woolworths have confirmed that they are not behind the account who posted the update.
    All a hoax? Well that's typical innit!!

TBH I'm not really bothered either way as to whether Woolies make a comeback or not. As far as I'm concerned, they had finally had their day by the latter half of the 2000s, so IMO there's no point in trying to resurrect a brand that went the way of the dodo for multiple reasons first time round.

I'm sure they tried to bring Kwik Save back from the dead a few years back, but I haven't seen any 'new' stores of theirs anywhere.

Aren't they still operating in some countries?

Wilkos is a very similar store. I remember doing my retail supervisors cert in Woollies on the entertainment bar. The store still sits unused and covered in posters.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The store still sits unused and covered in posters.
    That's depressing...

Woolworths!! What a blast from the past. When I was a kid I bought a goldfish from there that outlived the store.

We still have Woolworths here in Aus.

I'm sure I also read somewhere that Safeway was brought back a few years ago, but as a product brand name rather than a store name.

All (former) Safeway stores morphed into Morrisons stores at some point during the first half of the 2000s IIRC.

Thread Information