I read about this in a thread on Digital Spy (in the General Discussion sub-
section), though I haven't seen anything on the BBC News website as yet about it.

The original thread was started back in 2017 amid earlier speculation of Woolies making a possible comeback that never materialised at the time, but it's now seemingly being reconsidered once again, according to the Metro newspaper (linked from the Digital Spy thread).

If it turns out to be true, I don't really know what to make of it. Although half of me felt saddened by its sudden demise at the time, with several thousands of job losses, especially as it was at the height of the GFC, which was inevitably the brand's final nail in the coffin, that had already been struggling for some years prior to 2008, coupled with an iconic staple of our high streets suddenly being no more, the other half thought that they (Woolies) had become rather a tired and uncool brand who were already a pale shadow of their former selves for at least 5 years before they went under, or possibly even longer.

Generally, I personally feel that any attempts to bring back Woolies in the not too distant future would be a waste of time and money, as they failed for a reason first time round, and it smacks of nothing more than trying to jump on the nostalgia bandwagon yet again, especially when we have other similar stores like Wilkos, B & M, Home Bargains, etc that have still managed to survive the further turmoil of the high street in the 12 years that have since elapsed.

What do others on here think?