Thread: Prostate Worries

Prostate Worries

Hi There,

I have been a long time lurker of this website but figured I would put a post in the hope that it might alleviate some of my concerns.

I am a 33M with no real medical issues....although I am a confirmed hypochondriac and worrier.

About two weeks ago I noticed the urge to pee, and whilst I could pee, I found the need to go again returning shortly.

I went to my GP who prescribed Anti-biotics - and these seemed to work well but at the end of the 7 day course I felt things return.
    I was then prescribed on an additional 7 days which finished today, and its been pretty hit and miss - some days have been fine, others haven't- I should note the days I felt fine is when I was house hunting , so pretty busy and distracted.

I also did a urine sample for UTI's which came back as clear, so nothing there.

I have also recently changed my drinking habits from being a huge Soda drinker . (coke/pepsi) to now drinking mainly water and fruit juice.

So, I am now wondering if I am thinking too much about my toilet habits and not letting nature do its thing, so to speak.

I am also scheduled for a blood test and a prostate examination (Yay....)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Prostate Worries

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedJim View Post

I am a 33M with no real medical issues....although I am a confirmed hypochondriac and worrier.

About two weeks ago I noticed the urge to pee, and whilst I could pee, I found the need to go again returning shortly.
    One of the most likeliest causes for this symptom is anxiety. It's part of the stress response. Ya know - can't run off or fight a bear with a full bladder and all that.

I went to my GP who prescribed Anti-biotics - and these seemed to work well but at the end of the 7 day course I felt things return.
    I was then prescribed on an additional 7 days which finished today, and its been pretty hit and miss - some days have been fine, others haven't- I should note the days I felt fine is when I was house hunting , so pretty busy and distracted.
    You need to be taking some kind of probiotic as those antibiotics will have obliterated your good gut bacteria..

The fact that you say that your symptom went away when you were distracted lends even more weight to this being an anxiety symptom...

I also did a urine sample for UTI's which came back as clear, so nothing there.
    But your GP gave you antibiotics anyway?

I have also recently changed my drinking habits from being a huge Soda drinker . (coke/pepsi) to now drinking mainly water and fruit juice.
    Water will make you pee more and fruit juice is a diuretic.

So, I am now wondering if I am thinking too much about my toilet habits.
    Yup.

I am also scheduled for a blood test and a prostate examination (Yay....)
    Assume the position and pucker up Jim!

Then once you have the all clear maybe start putting some serious effort in to sort out your health anxiety?
    Last edited by NoraB; 29-10-20 at 06:52.

An enlarged prostate can and does cause urination issues but not a repeated urge. It causes difficulty urinating and slow flow when you do. Only a doctor can determine that and you how they do it?... Yeah...not fun! Anyway, its something that typically affects men 50+ I've been dealing with it for several years.

I agree with Nora that your mind is helping to create issues where none exist.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Your response is absolutely awesome!

Thank you for taking the time to dissect & analyse

Thread Information