Thread: Scared to death. High risk hpv detected clear smear

Scared to death. High risk hpv detected clear smear

Absolutely beside myself. Smear came back okay but high risk hpv has been detected!
    And they want me to go back in 12 months how can they leave you like that?
    I feel sick to my stomach 😭

Re: Scared to death. High risk hpv detected clear smear

My mum had a dodgy smear test. The next one came back clear..

Chances are that your body will clear this by itself in one to two years.

In the meantime, you need to keep your anxiety under control. X
    There is a light. There is. Look for it. Look for it shining over your shoulder, on the past. It was light where you went once. It is light where you are now. It will be light where you will go again. ~ Jennifer Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Stace1990 View Post
    Absolutely beside myself. Smear came back okay but high risk hpv has been detected!
    And they want me to go back in 12 months how can they leave you like that?
    I feel sick to my stomach 😭
    Its good its clear l had changes with my cells l had biopsies and was under the hospital for three years and my smears where every 12 months my cells changed back to normal so why a you worried you haven't got changes that's good xx

It just scared me because of high risk hpv and i know that is the main cause of cervical cancer. In the back of my mind in worried the smear part of it is wrong and that there might be changes to the cells that they havent picked up 😣

I had high risk also about ten years ago. We go for smears every year in the US and there has been no hpv detected in mine for the last 8 years. More than likely your body will clear it out. I totally know how hard it is not to panic, been there myself. Just try to tell yourself it will all be fine.

Thank you ❤
    Doesnt help having bloody health anxiety. Glad yours have been clear since and hoping this will be the case for me too x

Hi lovely
    Last year the same happened to me and like you I was terrified and it sent me into an anxious mess.

I had reported borderline changes as well as high risk HPV so was referred for a colposcopy at the hospital due to the changes. When I went for that I was told it looked fine and i didnít need any cells removed.

I have just had quite heavy bleeding after sex a year later so Iím a bit terrified again but hopefully itís unrelated.

I really wouldnít worry as when mine came back with those terrifying results plus changed cells I asked a lot of friends and family and was surprised at how many women get these results too. Were you referred for a follow up soon?

Take piece of mind that many women have this result and theyíre ok, you didnít have any changes either did you so thatís good too x

Thank you. Yeah i have to have another smear in 12 months. Ive just started another thread though as I've been bleeding for 2 weeks now. Not sure if its having a month break from the mini pill and restarting it and then needing emergency contraception. All i can think is the cell results missed something. 😔 xx

Your body will most likely clear the virus. Just make sure you go back for your smear in a years time to see if your body has cleared it. The chances of it developing into cancer is very low and even if it does, it will only be cell changes, not necessarily cancer. I know this is so hard and I would be in an absolute panic if I was in your shoes but you are going to be OK. My friend has constantly had abnormal smear tests for 20 years, every year to 2 years she has go have treatment on her cervix. She will literally be over the moon if she ever has a normal smear lol! X

Thread Information