Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I wonder which will be the next 'dead' brand name to see a revival attempt?

Re: I wonder which will be the next 'dead' brand name to see a revival attempt?

Thank you Nora
    We could be sisters from a different mister my dad is the same as me,my mum is a bit of a prude but that’s her family heritage that makes her like that.
    Come over here I will take you for a spin on my motorcycle and you can meet all my crazy wonderful nut job mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Thank you Nora
    We could be sisters from a different mister my dad is the same as me,my mum is a bit of a prude but that’s her family heritage that makes her like that.
    Come over here I will take you for a spin on my motorcycle and you can meet all my crazy wonderful nut job mates.
    What bike do you ride Lolalee1?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    During COVID no company is making a comeback or a revival. It'd be like flogging a dead horse at the moment.

New York's real estate market has flipped on it's head. Potentially another Detroit if COVID doesn't go away time soon.

Woolworths has always been online since their store closures in the UK. Wilko's, B&M and poundstores took over. Wooly's used to do well for DVD's and CD's because there was rarely a HMV in local areas. But there was a Woolys. I'm not sure what gap they'd be filling if they were to come back to the highstreets, they'd be going head on with Wilko etc. which would crumble their business ... again. It'd be suicide.

Now is a great time for people to set up websites and stores online though. Shameless plug ... I'm a software developer ... hit me up if you got an idea and cash
    That's exactly what I think.

As far as I'm concerned Woolies are old hat now and Wilko, Home Bargains, B&M, etc, are all basically the same but probably better, hence why they are still trading today.

Bringing back old, dead DIY store chains such as Do It All, Great Mills, Focus, Texas Homecare, etc, would be equally as pointless, as B&Q are the only ones that appear to have stood the test of time so far, and Homebase are now very much a pale shadow of their former selves, and seemingly on their last legs, and they quit our town around 2013-14, though B&Q are still going strong here.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 06-11-20 at 16:52.

That's a great example with B&Q Lencoboy. I honestly couldn't have told you another DIY superstore until you mentioned them. I don't think I've used any other store but B&Q and Amazon for DIY.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Wickes, darn Sarf at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Wickes, darn Sarf at least.
    Oh yeah, Wickes forgot about those. Are they still running? Sarf? Not heard that one.

☪️️

Whenever I think DIY I think of Tommy Walsh and his magic paint pad. I'm pretty sure his adverts are still running at 1am on some channels.

☪️️

Still got a Wickes around here but they are well overshadowed by B&Q. But what about Screwfix? The Range?

Remember the Wickes catalogue?

Kwik Save was a cut price place.

I like walking around B&Q. I guess it appeals to men. The plants are the best section though. It was a place that helped get me back into shops because it's so spread out and not busy so anxiety struggles are less worrying as you can always find a on aisle or corner to yourself. Just step into a shed for a minute

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Still got a Wickes around here but they are well overshadowed by B&Q. But what about Screwfix? The Range?

Remember the Wickes catalogue?

Kwik Save was a cut price place.

I like walking around B&Q. I guess it appeals to men. The plants are the best section though. It was a place that helped get me back into shops because it's so spread out and not busy so anxiety struggles are less worrying as you can always find a on aisle or corner to yourself. Just step into a shed for a minute
    I don't really see screwfix stores where I am. I thought they were trade only. Their website gives me a headache. It's a navigation nightmare. Is The Ranger upper class lol? Never seen one either.

Yeah walking around B&Q is a lovely experience. I get excitement goosebumps when I've got the money to spend in there. Piling up the trolly with cement I don't need but I'll get it just in case. Gyprok (spelling?) was damned useful though to repair large holes. I'm not just saying this, but I used to go straight to the garden part when I'd feel anxious. I'd always hold my phone to my ear while stepping into the shed like I'm explaining to my wife about this shed I was relaxing in. It really does help and it's a much nicer experience than running to a toilet to hide in a cubical.

☪️️

Nah, The Range is one of those places that sells something for everything. A bit gadgety so I bet DIY elitists would snub it

Screwfix sell to anyone but they do seem to market themselves towards traders. Yes, it's not the easiest site and the search function isn't the best. With sites like Google will find it quicker. That reminds me of when I had to work with legislation and regulation sites. They were absolutely rubbish for finding stuff but Google did it fine.

The bird section is the dead some in my B&Q. It's so expensive. Looking at plants does help. I found tools, kitchen/bathroom stuff the same. You can just head down the bits aisles and get reading or counting until you've forgotten symptoms and probably why you came in!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information