Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I wonder which will be the next 'dead' brand name to see a revival attempt?

Re: I wonder which will be the next 'dead' brand name to see a revival attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Come over here I will take you for a spin on my motorcycle and you can meet all my crazy wonderful nut job mates.
    Not sure they'd be ready for this Brit nut job.

There used to be Texas Homestores. (became Homebase)

I remember going there with my dad when I was small and cute, and all I had to do was say 'Daaaaaaddy' and his hand automatically went for his wallet.

(this technique does not work with husbands - not that I call them 'Daddy )

First time he said he was taking me to 'Texas', I thought I was going to America. I was expecting big hats and horses, not Magnolia emulsion and sanding paper.

Wickes could be on it's way out. It's owned by the Travis Perkins Group. Their latest developments revolve around a single site with variuos outlets, Travis Perkins, Benchmarx, Tool Station, City Plumbing/PTS which pretty much covers all that Wickes does. With B&Q being in the same group as Screwfix, things aren't looking too bright for Wickes.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Still got a Wickes around here but they are well overshadowed by B&Q. But what about Screwfix? The Range?

Remember the Wickes catalogue?

Kwik Save was a cut price place.

I like walking around B&Q. I guess it appeals to men. The plants are the best section though. It was a place that helped get me back into shops because it's so spread out and not busy so anxiety struggles are less worrying as you can always find a on aisle or corner to yourself. Just step into a shed for a minute

The psychology of shopping.

Women have a much wider area of vision and can process
    multiple levels in the near distance, hence women's cloths shops have racks and tables with assorted items spread all over them. Men are more tuned to a long narrow field of vision, DIY stores have long narrow isles that are straight lines this plays into the male brain processing ability.

I like walking around B&Q. I guess it appeals to men.
    I like B&Q. Hubs doesn't because it usually means him getting his tools out.

Just step into a shed for a minute
    Is what I say to Hubs while I am holding the key.

Plot twist: I actually locked myself in our shed earlier this year. It was an experiment. I was in there for 45 minutes before he came looking for me!

Looks like we can add Debenhams to the list. It's a shame (much more for those losing their jobs) as it's a nice store to look around but it's not cheap and fell victim to changed in shopper habits.

I can see John Lewis going this way. Even more over priced. They did make a lot of reduncies recently citing the high street downward trend.

I bet councils are worried as these stories must pay a lot of ground rent.

Looks like we can add Debenhams to the list. It's a shame (much more for those losing their jobs) as it's a nice store to look around but it's not cheap and fell victim to changed in shopper habits.

I can see John Lewis going this way. Even more over priced. They did make a lot of reduncies recently citing the high street downward trend.

I bet councils are worried as these stories must pay a lot of ground rent.
    Sorry Terry, this thread is about brands that died several years back that have been known to be revived again some years later, rather than those that are currently on the way out.

Though I agree it's a shame about Debenhams and others going under right now.

Way of the world ATM I suppose.

Looks like we can add Debenhams to the list.
    I buy my leggings from Debenhams. I sat in a virtual queue for 30 mins the other day to stock up because they are the only leggings that fit me because I'm a short-arse. That, and they are REALLY comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Or maybe some other reason?

Hmmmm.... this is a tricky one, isn’t it? Perhaps once a brand’s gone it should be gone for good....
    I totally agree with you Pain.

I think a lot of the time it's certain companies simply appealing to nostalgia by bringing certain 'historical' brand names back from the dead in order to 'sell out', even if there's no obvious public yearning for them.

And then many are often vastly disappointed with the 'new' generation of the revived brands' products believing they're not a patch on the originals.

I mean, some things are just better off left in the past, no matter how good or bad they were back in their original respective heydays, and reviving them can sometimes even taint people's original memories of them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information