Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abdominal and back pain

Re: Ongoing abdominal, right sided pain: Trying not to go down the rabbit hole

[QUOTE=flumpkin;1984928] Is that call with a consultant that can hopefully refer you for some kind of scan? It really isn't the time to be ill or need tests is it ...[QUOTE]

I have my script ready - have to do this for phone calls. If the person I speak to dares to fob me off without at least an abdo MRI - which could prove/disprove a tear in the muscle - I will lose the plot.

Thanks this makes sense and your situation sounds a bit like me too (although I have no gastro issues)
    My gastro issues could be nothing to do with the abdo pain. All I know is that I've been constipated for years, and now I aint. Except that it's only once a day, and I'm not losing weight, but I can't put any on either, and I haven't exercised since this pain started last September. Before that - I went from 10 stone to 9 stone 4 lbs by doing my physio...

Then again, I've been banging in the veg and Dairymilk - and I have a sneaky suspicion that my colon not likey.

I did move my daughter into uni and pain started a few days after. Lots of carrying bags up to her room and some heavy shopping from car to her halls. Didn't have any issues at time though apart from me moaning they were heavy and stopping to put them down several times on route. Maybe delayed muscle strain that is taking AGES to resolve?
    That would do it alright. I was poncing about doing oblique exercises (after 9 years of doing nothing) when my pain started. Weak muscles will tear more easily. Depending on the injury - torn muscles can take 6 months plus to repair! Abdo even more so because it's our core strength and we literally use our tummy muscles to do almost everything - so stretching up for something aggravates it, you get me?

Hope you get somewhere with appt on Sun
    Me too mate. Watch this space. Nora might need some TLC on Sunday if phone convo goes tits up. X

l

Re: Ongoing abdominal, right sided pain: Trying not to go down the rabbit hole

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I have my script ready - have to do this for phone calls. If the person I speak to dares to fob me off without at least an abdo MRI - which could prove/disprove a tear in the muscle - I will lose the plot.
    Good! You have waited a long time so you need to get your point across. You’ll be kicking yourself and tearing other muscles if you don’t mention everything you need to!

My gastro issues could be nothing to do with the abdo pain.
    This is true. I always tend to link all symptoms together and assume must be related. I am guessing you can’t do physio due to the abdo pain? I am not a big exerciser. I am very well padded with a fair amount of weight to shift. One to tackle after cutting the alcohol down (which is working) and increasing the exercise (early days but a 30 min fast walk each day for last 3 weeks). I am still conscious of my side/abdomen when walk but I don’t think more any more than when I am sitting.

I was poncing about doing oblique exercises (after 9 years of doing nothing) when my pain started. Weak muscles will tear more easily. Depending on the injury - torn muscles can take 6 months plus to repair! Abdo even more so because it's our core strength and we literally use our tummy muscles to do almost everything - so stretching up for something aggravates it, you get me?
    I have never really done any muscular damage before so not sure if my pain matches that, but I am certainly unfit and have no core strength. I just thought muscular would hurt when I move a particular way rather than discomfort all the time. But then yeah I guess everything I do even just sitting prob uses abdominal muscles in some way.

Watch this space. Nora might need some TLC on Sunday if phone convo goes tits up.
    I reckon you are owed some the amount you give people on here. Fingers crossed for you

Love flump xx

Re: Abdominal and back pain

Quick update the hospital called at 11:30 today and told me not to eat anything else as having abdominal and pelvic ultrasound at 4 TODAY! Cleared diary at work and now sat in carpark waiting to go in.

Very nervous of what it many show, but on plus side the panic time has been limited. I know won’t get results today but gets ball rolling a bit further at least.

Love flump x

Quote Originally Posted by flumpkin View Post
    Quick update the hospital called at 11:30 today and told me not to eat anything else as having abdominal and pelvic ultrasound at 4 TODAY! Cleared diary at work and now sat in carpark waiting to go in.

Very nervous of what it many show, but on plus side the panic time has been limited. I know won’t get results today but gets ball rolling a bit further at least.

Love flump x
    How did it go Flump? X

How did it go Flump? X
    Hi Nora

She said need to wait for report to GP however did tell me I have a gallstone trapped in neck of gallbladder which when I pushed her she said could cause the right sided pain below ribs but not the pain I get lower down nearer hip/pelvis. She did scan ovaries and womb though and said no issues. I asked if anything worrying on liver, kidneys, pancreas and she just mentioned fatty liver so I think this is all good news. Will wait to see what gp says but feeling a lot better about the pain. Thinking could be combination of gallstone, muscular and anxiety?

What I am taking from this is how much better I have coped. Don’t get me wrong, it has been on my mind all the time but it hasn’t made be shutdown and I haven’t stopped enjoying time with family (i.e. distracted and just going through motions). I have been able to stop the thoughts mostly and tell myself I need to wait and see and that it could be something other than cancer (or could be, but treatable). The anxiety hasn’t robbed me of good times whilst waiting, would I have rather not had the issue on my mind? Of course 😁. Massive thanks to you Nora who have helped so much with your sticky post and also your caring but sensible replies! 😘 I hope you get your referral on Sunday.

I also need to continue with positive actions, keep on reducing alcohol, keep doing some exercise and eat better. I am well padded and unfit and at nearly 50 I am doing myself and my anxious tendencies no favour!

Mother-in-law sadly is not looking so good as they are putting hospital bed in at home and increasing her morphine. Desperately sad, but at least I can focus fully on her, my husband and daughter now. Not that I wasn’t but well you know...

Not sure whether they will suggest gallbladder removal (and I do wonder if this is the cause of some excruciating trapped wind episodes over last 2 years, where I can be doubled over lying on floor pretty much in tears not knowing where to put myself, sometimes being sick, but def relieved by deflatine eventually). Or maybe diet changes will help? Will see what doctor says, unless anyone any advice? Imagine a long wait for op anyway.

Lots of love, a relieved flump xxx

Hi Nora

She said need to wait for report to GP however did tell me I have a gallstone trapped in neck of gallbladder which when I pushed her she said could cause the right sided pain below ribs but not the pain I get lower down nearer hip/pelvis. She did scan ovaries and womb though and said no issues.
    Gallstone explains the RS pain then. Excellent! You have the answer, and it's not at all scary!

Will wait to see what gp says but feeling a lot better about the pain. Thinking could be combination of gallstone, muscular and anxiety?
    I imagine your pain might will improve some just in the knowledge that there is nothing seriously wrong - such is the power of the mind!

What I am taking from this is how much better I have coped. Don’t get me wrong, it has been on my mind all the time but it hasn’t made be shutdown and I haven’t stopped enjoying time with family (i.e. distracted and just going through motions). I have been able to stop the thoughts mostly and tell myself I need to wait and see and that it could be something other than cancer (or could be, but treatable). The anxiety hasn’t robbed me of good times whilst waiting, would I have rather not had the issue on my mind? Of course .
    I think you've done amazingly well Flump. Proud of ya!

Massive thanks to you Nora who have helped so much with your sticky post and also your caring but sensible replies!  I hope you get your referral on Sunday.
    Sticky post? I think you have me confused with somebody else? But I'll take the rest. And you are very welcome. X

I also need to continue with positive actions, keep on reducing alcohol, keep doing some exercise and eat better. I am well padded and unfit and at nearly 50 I am doing myself and my anxious tendencies no favour!
    You have a plan. Excellent!

Mother-in-law sadly is not looking so good as they are putting hospital bed in at home and increasing her morphine. Desperately sad, but at least I can focus fully on her, my husband and daughter now. Not that I wasn’t but well you know...
    I'm so sorry to hear that, but try to remember that the 'good drugs' means that her suffering should be minimal - if at all. Big hugs.

Not sure whether they will suggest gallbladder removal (and I do wonder if this is the cause of some excruciating trapped wind episodes over last 2 years, where I can be doubled over lying on floor pretty much in tears not knowing where to put myself, sometimes being sick, but def relieved by deflatine eventually). Or maybe diet changes will help? Will see what doctor says, unless anyone any advice? Imagine a long wait for op anyway.
    As far as I know, I don't think they remove the gallbladder unless it's giving you serious gyp. Personally, I'd be trying non-surgery things first, but you and your doc will work it out between you.

Re wind - I get this every so often and peppermint tea REALLY helps. I double-bag when I'm cramped up with it and it eases off..

Lots of love, a relieved flump xxx
    I'm so pleased (albeit not surprised) at this positive outcome. More than that is how well you've coped with the waiting process. This is a BIG step towards recovery from HA, and you really should be proud of yourself. X

Hey Nora, how did the consult go yesterday? Did you get your MRI a referral? I really hope you did!

Thanks for your reply. I was feeling really proud of myself and relieved. Thanks too for the comments regarding my mother-in-law we actually went to see her on Sat and were surprised how well she seemed. She has a lovely view from her window and we even managed to make her laugh a few times. She just got very sleepy as soon as had her meds.

Feeling a bit odd tonight as I had text from gp asking me to make appt this morning. I phoned and surprisingly got a telephone consult for this evening. I was expecting discussion on the gallstone with either diet suggestions or treatment options but she totally threw me by saying they found gallstone but don’t think it is the likely cause of the pain. Instead she asked a couple of questions about what made it worse / better (nothing) and clarified the location and then said she needed to see me and gave me an appt on weds morn in person. I was pretty settled after scan thinking was just a gallstone which is reasonably easy to sort but looks like back at square one with no idea what it is. I have no idea what she is thinking. Doubting what radiographer said now but sure she said things looked ok apart from gallstone (when I asked her), she did say I would have to wait really to discuss with gp once report issued, but I think that is standard. Guess a few more days of waiting and trying not to second guess as don’t know anything yet worth stressing about.

Love a confused flump x

Hi Nora

I have a gallstone trapped in neck of gallbladder

Absolutely a gallstone can cause your pain and especially if it's stuck in the neck of your gallbladder.

I'm sorry, but your GP is a plonker!

Try a low fat diet and see what happens pain wise.

Good luck

Hey Nora, how did the consult go yesterday? Did you get your MRI a referral? I really hope you did!
    No MRI. Bloke wanted to shove a cam down my throat and test me for coeliac - which I thought I'd already been tested for a few months ago. He wanted to cancel my @rse cam for the endo but I don't want an endo unless absolutely required. But, he thinks this is an MSK/IBS combo given how movement affects pain. I'm still having @rse cam. It's a good idea with my changes in IBS and the colon cleanse might help to reset my bowels - plus, that sedation.

If he finds nothing amiss (which I'm expecting) then I'm presuming he'll move me onto MSK and then I'll get an MRI..

Thanks too for the comments regarding my mother-in-law we actually went to see her on Sat and were surprised how well she seemed. She has a lovely view from her window and we even managed to make her laugh a few times. She just got very sleepy as soon as had her meds.
    Good to hear.

Feeling a bit odd tonight as I had text from gp asking me to make appt this morning. I phoned and surprisingly got a telephone consult for this evening. I was expecting discussion on the gallstone with either diet suggestions or treatment options but she totally threw me by saying they found gallstone but don’t think it is the likely cause of the pain. Instead she asked a couple of questions about what made it worse / better (nothing) and clarified the location and then said she needed to see me and gave me an appt on weds morn in person. I was pretty settled after scan thinking was just a gallstone which is reasonably easy to sort but looks like back at square one with no idea what it is. I have no idea what she is thinking. Doubting what radiographer said now but sure she said things looked ok apart from gallstone (when I asked her), she did say I would have to wait really to discuss with gp once report issued, but I think that is standard. Guess a few more days of waiting and trying not to second guess as don’t know anything yet worth stressing about.
    I don't think gallstone pain would be felt in the lower quadrant but they scanned your abdomen (and pelvis?) and found nothing so I don't think you've anything to worry about flump. Didn't you say you've had this before a few years ago and nothing was found? Same for me too, only lower than where my pain is now (pelvis area) - and they found nothing wrong. You haven't had any operations on your abdomen have you? Laparotomies' anything like that?

You know what it's like with HA - our minds go through all sorts of scenarios only to speak to a GP and find there was nothing to worry about. Just try to put it out of your mind and deal with it tomorrow. X

Thanks Matt, I think it may be causing some issues potentially the trapped wind episodes at least and a low fat diet is probably a good idea anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information