Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abdominal and back pain

Re: Abdominal and back pain

Quote Originally Posted by flumpkin View Post
    thanks Nora for the advice. I guess trying to block out the thoughts in a way makes them stronger. What you suggest makes sense in that I need to just accept it as a thought but realise a thought can’t hurt me and what I need to do is follow the process / next step from the dr and deal with actual facts. Makes sense but I need to put it into practice! With the blood tests due tomorrow I am trying to do this. Had a few wobbles today thinking what if pain is muscular and I have blood tests and it then shows kidney/liver issue. Have told myself whatever it is better to know and yes bloods may show something but equally may not and that if there is an issue I have to cross that ridge at time and see what dr suggests. It does not have to be something incurable, and if is then I can’t change it by worrying. I have been answering the little voice in my head a lot today . Still nervous but still functioning!

love flump x
    You sound so much like me. The doctor advised for me to have a blood test as I had a 'bulky thyroid' so even though I'd been referred by another doctor, because I was panicking about it all she thought it would be a good idea to see if there were any underlying issues. I regretted it as soon as the bloods were taken as I knew that I would be a mess until the results came back and I was worried it would uncover something unrelated. Then when I had a call the following day to say a couple needed repeating I went out of my mind. As I said before they eventually came back normal but I know exactly how you feel, I was listening out for my phone and dreading them asking me to come in to say they had found something.

It sounds like you have the tools to deal with your health anxiety in that you have the right answers when your anxious thoughts are taking over but I know with me that the anxious thoughts can be so strong sometimes and it's hard to fight them off.

Would you consider going back for cbt? I'm having my second round as its been a few years since I last went and it's come back worse than before. It's been good to get things off my chest and to have a goal in place for where I want to be as I hate living like this.

thanks Nora for the advice. I guess trying to block out the thoughts in a way makes them stronger.
    Absolutely. It always does for me, anyway.

Had a few wobbles today thinking what if pain is muscular and I have blood tests and it then shows kidney/liver issue.
    Have told myself whatever it is better to know and yes bloods may show something but equally may not and that if there is an issue I have to cross that ridge at time and see what dr suggests. It does not have to be something incurable, and if is then I can’t change it by worrying. I have been answering the little voice in my head a lot today . Still nervous but still functioning!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by melie1818 View Post
    You sound so much like me. I regretted it as soon as the bloods were taken as I knew that I would be a mess until the results came back and I was worried it would uncover something unrelated.

It sounds like you have the tools to deal with your health anxiety in that you have the right answers when your anxious thoughts are taking over but I know with me that the anxious thoughts can be so strong sometimes and it's hard to fight them off.

Would you consider going back for cbt? I'm having my second round as its been a few years since I last went and it's come back worse than before. It's been good to get things off my chest and to have a goal in place for where I want to be as I hate living like this.
    Hi Melie

This is totally where I am at the moment. I am currently trying to decide whether to call dr to see if bloods are back tomorrow or if I should wait to see if they call me? Blood test was Thursday night so not sure how fast they come back. Part of me is desperate to know and part of me is totally scared and wants to be able to still tell myself everything might be ok... although it isn’t really ok as I still have this pain (5-6 weeks now) and it is driving me mad. If I am honest it is my first thought when I wake up and my last thought at night. It is on my mind all day.

I am trying not to go off on one and have only had a couple of wobbles over the weekend. I have talked myself round rationally, so I guess I am coping but I just want the pain to go and not to feel this constant anxiety gnawing away at me. I go from telling myself it could be muscular and that the cause could be moving daughters bags to deciding it is definitely kidney, liver, pancreas etc and caused by alcohol and being overweight.

Also I know that once I get blood results I will probably still need more tests as if they show nothing, pain is still there. So poss need an ultrasound. Not sure if ultrasound will pick up things bloods won’t. Or if there are issues with bloods then I will have something to deal with too.

Hate this cycle. Deep breath, put my big girl pants on and see what tomorrow brings I guess. Not really thought about cbt again, I think part of me is coping and knows what I should do and to some extend I am doing. It is just hard and I still wobble. How is yours going this time, is it helping?

Love flump xx
    Last edited by flumpkin; 09-11-20 at 00:48.

Well good news I think in that blood tests which included kidney and liver ones came back ok according to the receptionist, with no action required. This is huge relief as I had been worried about damage from alcohol.

Made big note to self though about the drinking (written whilst mid wobble) to remind myself I don’t want to be in this place again where HA is triggered more by the fact I have been drinking a glass most evenings. Not worth it and I don’t need to!

Still have the pain though so been told to go back if it persists. Presumably to look at abdominal scan. This makes me a bit anxious so not sure if my current thought to leave a few weeks in case muscular is a sensible reaction or avoidance...

Love flump x
    Last edited by flumpkin; 11-11-20 at 10:04.

Well food news I think in that blood tests which included kidney and liver ones came back ok according to the receptionist, with no action required. This is huge relief as I had been worried about damage from alcohol.
    Way to go Flump!

Made big note to self though about the drinking (written whilst mid wobble) to remind myself I don’t want to be in this place again where HA is triggered more by the fact I have been drinking a glass most evenings. Not worth it and don’t need to.
    Proactive - LOVE IT!!!

Still have the pain though so been told to go back if it persists. Presumably to look at abdominal scan. This makes me a bit anxious so not sure if my current thought to leave a few weeks in case muscular is a sensible reaction or avoidance...
    All my tests have been clear so far, and it will probably be the case that the tube I had to crap into the other day will also show no issues either!

Anyway, I mention this because we're sort of in the same boat except that I don't have HA - I'm just really frustrated, fed up, and cranky. Two months of constant pain and waking up at stupid-o-clock in the morning? I reckon I'm entitled to let loose with the grumps occasionally, right?

What you can do, Flump, is to use this time to work on relaxation techniques and acceptance. This is the perfect time to do so.

But I do advocate the occasional wallow in the pity-pot.

It might be the case for you (and me) that no cause is ever found. Wouldn't be the first time.

You're doing really well mate - well done. Proud of ya. X

Way to go Flump!

Thanks Nora and I mean really THANK YOU your post I stumbled on about acceptance has really struck a chord and definitely helped me as have the more recent tips. I have started (long way to go) to acknowledge that as much as I want to I actually can’t control everything. However I can take some positive steps (to do things which are good for me even if they don’t guarantee anything) and I can try to have some control over how I react.

I'm just really frustrated, fed up, and cranky. Two months of constant pain and waking up at stupid-o-clock in the morning? I reckon I'm entitled to let loose with the grumps occasionally, right?

Definately allowed a bit of a grump! Sorry you are having such a rough time too. Not being able to sleep with it is awful. I am lucky not to have that issue. Only had it once when I had a herniated disk in my neck and could not lie down and it was awful, being tired and wanting to sleep but not being able to as painful is torture. You have my sympathy!

What you can do, Flump, is to use this time to work on relaxation techniques and acceptance. This is the perfect time to do

Yep, trying to work on breathing and posture as a starting point.

You're doing really well mate - well done. Proud of ya.

Cheers m’dears xxxx
    Last edited by flumpkin; 12-11-20 at 00:16.

Ongoing abdominal, right sided pain: Trying not to go down the rabbit hole

Hi all

Posted a while ago when this right sided abdominal pain first started back at end of September. 4 months on and nothing has changed... I have right sided discomfort all day and every day. Mostly under rib, sometimes nearer hip and can radiate round to back. Mostly a dull ache, sometimes more stabby/burning pain but consistently always there.

Knowing I have a health anxiety tendency I have been doing really well not going off on one and just ignoring the stupid nagging voice that this may be something serious and instead trying to carry on with things and just take the normal steps of getting medical advice and dealing with known facts but really starting to struggle.

I saw dr initially after about a month and they felt abdomen and said I wasn’t guarding at all when examined (good?) and to get blood tests done. These came back ok and I think included liver tests. I did mention concern that I had been drinking too much for years (and have cut back now to a couple of glasses just at weekend), also did urine test and no sign of infection, decided may be muscular but to come back if didn’t improve.

From here I contacted dr (via online form) after a few more weeks as pain still there. Recommendation came back via text to get abdominal and pelvic ultrasound at start November to look for cause which may be infection/ovarian cysts or something else. Obviously now is not the time to be ill as understandably there is a large wait as hospitals are so stretched. Called again last week and still not opening appts for scans. Tried to use my private medical at work but first request for consultant referral has been lost. Called last week and they said I can have the scan but need signed gp referral (I just have a text) which I am still trying to get and then can try to book appt but they too have backlog.

This stupid pain is with me and on my mind 24/7. I have no other symptoms apart from several painful trapped wind episodes and a bloated feeling (bra digs in and I end up removing and undoing jeans) most evenings. I am trying to do positive stuff (30 min walk each day), I have normal Appetite and bowel habits and not losing weight.

Has anyone any ideas or experience on what this can be? I am trying to follow right path of seeing dr but nothing is forthcoming due to everything that is going on at min and the longer it goes on I start to think not muscular and possibly something sinister that is getting worse while untreated and undiagnosed.

Mother in law diagnosed with untreatable kidney cancer at start of lockdown and I am sure this has been a trigger, but this pain is genuinely there and I am so stressed thinking could be kidney, liver, pancreas etc. I don’t seem to have the other symptoms for less sinister stuff like gallstones, appendix, kidney infection etc. Not googling at all, but all starting to get me down as no end in sight. I know I may be being stupid and may be totally fine, I know that there is a lot of worse stuff going on at the moment (inc mil) but also know I have had this pain for 4 months and that surely isn’t right.

Sorry for rambling
    Love flumpkin xx

Re: Ongoing abdominal, right sided pain: Trying not to go down the rabbit hole

I have normal Appetite and bowel habits and not losing weight.
    This is why I don't think you have anything to worry about Flump.

I'm still having my abdo pain. GP thinks it's a torn muscle, but I do have other symptoms - so I'm waiting on gastro - which will be a phone call next Sunday lol

I know I may be being stupid and may be totally fine, I know that there is a lot of worse stuff going on at the moment (inc mil) but also know I have had this pain for 4 months and that surely isn’t right.
    My pain started last September. No sign of cancer so far. Lots of causes for chronic pain Flump - and this could also be psychosomatic because of your MIL with some muscle tension thrown in.

Just a thought... but you didn't happen to be doing anything 'physical' when your pain started did you? X

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Ongoing abdominal, right sided pain: Trying not to go down the rabbit hole

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I'm still having my abdo pain. GP thinks it's a torn muscle, but I do have other symptoms - so I'm waiting on gastro - which will be a phone call next Sunday lol
    I am wondering if mine is muscular too, I think muscular issues can go on a lot longer than you expect them to (well that is what I am telling myself). Is that call with a consultant that can hopefully refer you for some kind of scan? It really isn't the time to be ill or need tests is it ...

My pain started last September. No sign of cancer so far. Lots of causes for chronic pain Flump - and this could also be psychosomatic because of your MIL with some muscle tension thrown in.
    Thanks this makes sense and your situation sounds a bit like me too (although I have no gastro issues), and I know I have to stop myself going down the black and white thinking route of it is nothing or cancer. I agree that I am focussed on the pain too which will make things seem worse as I am hyper aware of it all the time.

Just a thought... but you didn't happen to be doing anything 'physical' when your pain started did you?
    I did move my daughter into uni and pain started a few days after. Lots of carrying bags up to her room and some heavy shopping from car to her halls. Didn't have any issues at time though apart from me moaning they were heavy and stopping to put them down several times on route. Maybe delayed muscle strain that is taking AGES to resolve?

Thanks for the response, it really helps

Hope you get somewhere with appt on Sun

love flump xx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information