Thread: Swallowing difficulties?

Swallowing difficulties?

I was diagnosed with GERD over a decade ago, and had an endoscopy a little less than 5 years ago. I’ve been on and off PPIs for years now (currently off), sometimes my stomach is better and sometimes worse. It’s been better lately. They found nothing in the endoscopy or the biopsies they took back then.

Over the past few weeks I’ve started to wonder if I’m experiencing something that would be defined as dysphagia. Sometimes when I swallow a large piece of food, it stops right after my tonsils and I have to swallow again to get it to go down (it does). In addition, crumbs of certain foods seem to get stuck on my tonsils and it takes a while before they come out and I can swallow them. I have large tonsils and have seen an ENT a couple of years ago for them, and he said that they might cause strange sensation as well as occasional problems because they get irritated very easily.

I’m getting very anxious that I have a tumor in my throat or esophagus. Has anyone else had this?

Re: Swallowing difficulties?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuckoo8 View Post
    Sometimes when I swallow a large piece of food, it stops right after my tonsils and I have to swallow again to get it to go down (it does).
    I’m getting very anxious that I have a tumor in my throat or esophagus. Has anyone else had this?
    I'm not very up on throat tumours, but wouldn't this happen all the time is there was a blockage in there?

I've definitely had this symptom with anxiety though...

Re: Swallowing difficulties?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuckoo8 View Post
    Sometimes when I swallow a large piece of food, it stops right after my tonsils and I have to swallow again to get it to go down (it does).
    I have real physical swallowing issues due to Head and Neck cancer treatment so I speak from experience. Take smaller bites and chew thoroughly. Have a drink to help wash it down. Simple

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information