Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mammogram

1st breast screening appointment

Hi fellow HA suffers
    i have received my routine breast screening letter 2 weeks ago, just plucked up the courage to book appointment, I literally feel sick. It’s not the going, it’s the waiting for results that I can’t cope with 🙈 I have a real bad phobia of cancer. I am quite big up top too so dreading them calling me back if they can’t get a clear picture.
    Any reassurance will be greatfully received. 😩

Re: 1st breast screening appointment

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I’m quite big as well, a D cup. They will definitely be able to X-ray all of your breast and check the X-ray before they let you go to make sure they get a clear picture. Hope this helps x

Thanks PB
    i absolutely hate HA I can’t focus on anything else x x

Anybody else worry ?

Yeah, bigtime, I just had my yearly results last week. It stops my life mentally for the couple of weeks leading up to the appointment and the 2 weeks of waiting for results. I am a mess. However, I had BC 4 years ago. I just want to remind you of what I have to remind myself (often out loud, daily leading up to it !) each year I go for these mammograms; screening is NOT the threat, the threat is BC. Screening is designed to keep you alive and well, by finding cancers early. Screening is a choice, but a sensible one, as cancers found really early are very very successfully treatable. What would be MUCH worse is if you didn't have screening, found a late stage cancer in a few years and you would look back on your mistake at not having gone to screening with major regret. Trust me, you would. If you have a 'phobia' of cancer (and I'm not sure I agree with the phrase you used, as I don't know a single person who isn't utterly hugely gut wrenchingly terrified of cancer !) then imagine if you found out that it was too late to treat, it doesn't bear thinking about it does it.

Thank you for replying, you make a lot of sense . I hope you are well now. Just wish this HA take over my life ��

Yes, I am indeed very well.

There is no easy way around this Winnie, you go for the screening, you go to make sure there is no problem. Nobody can tell you 100 percent that there will be no problem all through your future screening life, which I know is what you want to hear, and thats why you don't want to go incase there is a different result. When I go for my annual screening it feels as if a 'ball has been set rolling' and there is no coming back from it, and I have to work really hard to talk to myself about why I'm going. You need to do the same, thats my advice, no matter how uncomfortable that feels.

I completely agree Carys x x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information