Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mammogram

Mammogram

Just had my first mammogram, my anxiety is through the roof at the moment. I told the lady taking mammogram that I was really anxious, she didn’t try and put my anxiety at ease. Anybody else waiting for results ?

Re: Mammogram

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Anyone ? ��

I had one a year ago and I was very flippant about it and not worried at all then got a letter telling me they had found something and I had to go back. It was an anxious wait over a bank holiday as well.

All was good in the end.

There is no point stressing as you can't change the outcome.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I’m just so anxious, I’ve gone through nearly a bottle of rescue remedy in under 2 days �� I literally could be sick with anxiety ��

Well Winnie, I replied to your previous mammogram thread, but the same I said there still applies

I told the lady taking mammogram that I was really anxious, she didn’t try and put my anxiety at ease.
    They can't and don't Winnie. It is most usually a radiographer (and not the technician who takes and stores the images) who 'reads' the images later. So whoever took the images today won't have spent time looking at them, or possibly even have the training to do so. They simply aren't allowed to comment either positively or negatively for a variety of sensible reasons, mostly because people read things into their words and either get scared for no reason, or have false hope for no reason. I know plenty of people who have asked questions and been incredibly anxious during the mammogram, but you won't get anything other than professional mammography taking place.

'Scanxiety' is a phrase, one that many here understand. It is tough waiting for results, mentally your mind does sway to positive and negative outcomes with alarming rapidity. I'm afraid there is no way around it other than to get on with life. Its as I said to you on your other thread, and please do re-read it as I have had many mammograms as you know, its a choice to have this screening done. We don't all go and get it done certainly knowing that we will be told everything is fine, we do it so that anything that might be there is found quickly, early and treated effectively. Screening isn't the threat, UNDISCOVERED BC is the threat. You know, even those women who have been diagnosed with BC after a mammogram come to the point after a short period of time where they are thankful and feel lucky to have had screening. The chances are that your results will be fine, statistically and age-wise you have considerable hope of that, but nobody can tell you that I'm afraid - only those medics reading the images can. At the end of the day you have to face up to two things, however hard you find them - firstly some women are diagnosed (hence why screening exists) and secondly even IF they did find something it would be part of the deal of having the mammogram done. Lives are saved with screening (and self-checks monthly - I was pre-screening age). Thats the only way I get through it.

Also, as Nicola said above - there is literally nothing, no amount of fear, panic or hysteria that will make a jot of difference to the outcome.
    Last edited by Carys; 02-11-20 at 18:32.

Thank you for your response, I have took what you have said on board. I’ve jumped every time my phone has rang today, thinking it’s the hospital informing me they've found something �� x x

I have a family history of BC so currently have mammograms yearly. I absolutely dread them - anxiety through the roof leading up to them and again afterwards until I get my letter. However, the yearly checks will stop when I'm 60, just because that's NICE guidelines, although my risk is still as high so I will have to pay for pleasure of having my anxiety go through the roof for about 6 weeks each year.

I think anyone with HA will relate to what you are going through for whatever medical test/scan/procedure that might be necessary. We sufferers will always assume the worst......But Carys is so right - the screening is there to help us. And don't try to second guess what the nurse/radiographer is thinking etc - never works.

Thank you for your response, I have took what you have said on board. I’ve jumped every time my phone has rang today, thinking it’s the hospital informing me they've found something �� x x
    Unless you've had it done privately, there won't be a phone call. They don't communicate either positive or negative results over the phone. It will be a letter and usually takes anything up to 14 days to come (although in some areas its taking longer than that at the moment, due to COVID back log). I will also say this; a letter coming fast or slow also means nothing, it just means they are busy or not so busy.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information