Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large clot during period

Large clot during period

Hi ladies, I just wanted to ask a question about periods.
    Mine are fairly heavy and rather painful, have been for a long time now. Today I went to the toilet and I could feel what I believe to be a big clot come out.
    My HA is all over the place lately - medication and therapy aren't working out so far.
    I'm sure this has happened to me before but my mind keeps going to that bad place that large clots are a sign of something bad. Is this true?
    Do any of you ladies have large clots during your period?

Re: Large clot during period

This is a pretty regular thing for me, most months I'll get one a couple of inches long.

All it means if this happens is that blood loss has been fairly quick or heavy or both in combination. Clots are blood that has coagulated, and your body (somehow, don't ask me the details lol) during a period produces something (don't ask me what lol) that stops blood clotting when blood is lost from the uterus, so that is flows easily. The body produces this 'something' that stops clotting at a fairly regular rate, hence why most blood flows without clots. However if it is heavier or quicker loss than the body can keep up with the anti-coagulation chemical, then clots can form. Have I had them ? If you'd have asked me 5 years ago it would have been a no, never. Now, often, teeny weeny ones most days, but at its worst, during a bad period, at the size of about a 50p and quite a few like this over a short time frame. In and of themselves they don't indicate anything 'bad' BUT they indicate heavy periods, and all that that entails, if they happen frequently.

Thanks so much for that BlueIris and Carys!!!

It just freaked me out today when it happened, but like I said, I'm sure it's happened me many times before. But these days everything is freaking me out.

I love your explanation btw Carys - "something happens somewhere that causes something to happen by producing something..........." - Love it

Clots were normal for me with my periods - which were also heavy.

something happens somewhere that causes something to happen by producing something...........
    Lay-mans non-medical version

I've just tried to find out what the 'chemical' is, but can't find the name. This is another description.....

Typically, anti-coagulants released by the body during menstruation fend off period blood clots. But sometimes, especially if you have a heavy flow, not all of your uterine tissue is able to be broken down, which leads to clots forming and being released during menstruation. These clots are typically red or dark in color and appear during the heaviest days of your period.

Ovarian cancer or bad period pains?

I got my period this morning. Panicked a bit because it's 3 days early and I'm usually fairly regular. (Hoping it was period and not other bleeding)
    Then I started getting cramps, like I usually do, so I started to calm a bit and convinced myself it's just my period.
    But then I got this awful pain in the left side of my lower pelvis. It kind of felt like a period pain but a sharp one. It lasted 5 to 10 seconds. But I've had several of these sharp pains in my left side only since then. I have the usual period pains too.
    My mind is racing. Is it just my period? Can you get period pains worse on one side? What could cause this?
    And then when I went to the toilet there was a largish blood clot, even though my flow isn't heavy yet.

There's all sorts going through my head, between ovarian cancer and cancer of the uterus.
    I don't know what to do or think at the moment. I'm just sitting here scared :(

Re: Ovarian cancer or bad period pains?

You've been in a spiral lately as evidenced by the threads you've started this month. As many have said and experienced, high anxiety levels wreak havoc with your body. You've already told us that you have unusually intense monthly periods so Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.
    I know my new post is also about my period but it's regarding pains I'm having that are worrying me.
    The original post was a clot, and even though I mentioned a clot during the new post, it wasn't what my post is about.
    I've asked for advice on pains (ovarian cancer and other things going through my mind) but now when people see the thread title they will just think it's about a clot I've had, so I probably won't get the responses that I want.
    Different people will read different threads depending on the thread title, and someone with no experience or knowledge of clots may not read it now, when they might have been able to reply when it's regarding pain.
    I don't want to come across as ungrateful, or that I'm complaining, but did the posts have to be merged just because they were about my period?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information