Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large clot during period

Re: Large clot during period

Ok well we can change the title but they are still about the same thing at the end of the day.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Ok well we can change the title but they are still about the same thing at the end of the day.
    I really don't agree that the 2 threads are about the same thing. I have pains during this period that I never had before, I don't believe that it should be merged with a thread on period clots.

I also don't think that I can change the title of a thread. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I think I tried it before and it only changes the title within the thread - the actual thread title out in the forum remains unchanged.

Like I said earlier Nicola, I'm not one to complain and it's the last thing I want you to think I'm doing.
    I only wanted to get a few opinions on period pains, and now that that thread has been shoved onto the end of an older thread, I don't think I will get the replies I was looking for. I've seen this happen here before, to me and other posters, and it can honestly be a bit disheartening to see it happen

I said "we" as in the admins.

Sorry but it is all related and we will merge similar posts. FMP picked up that you had posted about a similar thing before as well.

If you don't get the replies then it is because people cannot relate and nothing to do with merging the post.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have all your symptoms and more, BrokenGirl.

I get the clots at least once every period. Usually in the first day or two. Clotting is a normal element of any kind of blood loss, especially if it collects in one place (like the womb!) It is also important to remember that a clot may actually be a big lump of tissue mixed up with blood, which is the lining of the womb coming out. Not a big deal at all.

As far as pains go, I get pain both before and during my period. I also get it mid cycle when I am ovulating - either left or right side ovary pain. It is TOTALLY NORMAL to get pain during a period as your womb will be contracting as it releases blood and tissue. You'll get spasms or sharp pains as this happens. Stress can also make period pain worse. I find a heated pad or a hot water bottle really helps.

Try not to worry, though I know that is easier said than done. Nothing you mention sounds abnormal to me. I am 49 years old and have had this period rubbish for years. I also have a history of ovarian cysts (again, very common) and am still here to tell the tale!

Take care.x

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    I have all your symptoms and more, BrokenGirl.

I get the clots at least once every period. Usually in the first day or two. Clotting is a normal element of any kind of blood loss, especially if it collects in one place (like the womb!) It is also important to remember that a clot may actually be a big lump of tissue mixed up with blood, which is the lining of the womb coming out. Not a big deal at all.

As far as pains go, I get pain both before and during my period. I also get it mid cycle when I am ovulating - either left or right side ovary pain. It is TOTALLY NORMAL to get pain during a period as your womb will be contracting as it releases blood and tissue. You'll get spasms or sharp pains as this happens. Stress can also make period pain worse. I find a heated pad or a hot water bottle really helps.

Try not to worry, though I know that is easier said than done. Nothing you mention sounds abnormal to me. I am 49 years old and have had this period rubbish for years. I also have a history of ovarian cysts (again, very common) and am still here to tell the tale!

Take care.x
    Thanks so much Debs. You really helped me with all that.
    I've been doubled over in pain for most of the day today, so maybe I'm just having an extra bad one this month and that's causing the sharp pains on the left!
    Anything new just sends me into a spiral, like many people here I'll jump to the worst case scenario.

I'm going to curl up for the rest of the evening with a hot water bottle, and hopefully that will help things a little

I'm not sure of your age but for me my periods have changed as I'm perimenopausal. More pains, random left and right and some clotting. I also went from regular to every 21-24 days. It's age related for me so I try not to worry too much. Is it possible it's perimenopause for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearly queen View Post
    I'm not sure of your age but for me my periods have changed as I'm perimenopausal. More pains, random left and right and some clotting. I also went from regular to every 21-24 days. It's age related for me so I try not to worry too much. Is it possible it's perimenopause for you?
    I suppose it's quite possible it's perimenopause. I'm 44 and i think people say that once you turn 40 anything can start happening period wise.
    Still getting the sharp pains on the left all day, and 3 days early is not usual for me.
    Maybe it's something I'm going to have to get used to, it's so hard though!!

Not all clots are normal. Depends on the size. Mine were as big as a fist. That definitely wasn't normal.

Just looking for a little bit of reassurance :(
    I got my period christmas eve (great timing) so today is day 3.
    I took a shower a while ago and when I was in there I got a bad period pain (not too unusual for me on day 3) and then saw a large clot come out.
    I think this was the biggest clot I ever saw but then again I never saw one in the shower, it would usually be when I go to the toilet. So maybe it just looked bigger when it landed on the shower floor. It looked about the size of my 3 middle fingers if they were stretched out flat and stuck together (or almost as big as that), but it did start to break up almost as soon as I saw it.
    When I got out of the shower I had to sit down for about 10 minutes due to bad cramping, which I still have now half an hour later but not as bad.
    I'm just worried my clots are getting bigger. And my HA brain is trying to tell me something is wrong.
    And SnowyGreen's previous reply has kind of scared me.
    How large have any of your clots been?
    Last edited by BrokenGirl; 26-12-20 at 14:46.

I'm an expert on this subject . All through my adult life I suffered with serious period pains and blood clots . Menopause was a little bit worse than normal cycle.
    Normal cycle for was terrible pain to the point of doubling over , and every month I would be very heavy blood loss and always had blood clots including stringy blood coming out.
    During the premeopause the clots got much bigger to the point of looking like a large piece of liver , funnily enough I never worried one bit about this and I consider myself lucky to have completed the menopause by the age of 46 , it took ten years from start to finish .
    Blood clots hurt a lot because they are being contracted out and the bigger they are the more it hurts, well that's how I see it anyway.
    I hope this helps x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information