Thread: Thanks COVID, you destroyed my business

Thanks COVID, you destroyed my business

As many here know I'm a software developer. The start of the year was going fine and I had a couple of clients under my sleeve who were paying monthly. I had worked lined up to cover me until July/August. But, in March all but 1 client paused on me.

During the first lockdown nobody wanted any business. Which is understandable. Why would a brick and mortar store need a website, marketing, or any software services, when they're not trading. I also create landing pages for marketers who make money through affiliate marketing but the price companies are paying for data today has dropped significantly to the point where the marketers are profiting, but only just.

September looked promising. I snagged a couple of jobs marketing some UK Drill artists. After that it's been dead and with the new lockdown measures about to come into play it looks like there's no hope getting any work at the minute. Financially I'm stuck. Mentally I'm stuck. I know this is all part of running a business, but running a business is hard enough without COVID.

Running a business during COVID seems impossible. I'm open to ideas.

Medications: 40mg Quitapine, 40mg Paroxatine, 300mg Promazine, 6mg-10mg Diazepam
    Diagnosis: Panic disorder, General anxiety, Agoraphobia, Depression, Aspergers.

Recovering alcoholic. Recovering codeine abuser.

Re: Thanks COVID, you destroyed my business

Are you self-employed and have you been for more than a year?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Are you self-employed and have you been for more than a year?
    Self employed limited company, but haven't been in business longer than a year. December will be 12 months.

Medications: 40mg Quitapine, 40mg Paroxatine, 300mg Promazine, 6mg-10mg Diazepam

Quote Originally Posted by Entryplug View Post
    You can always get back on track, as long as you have skills and experience, which you do I believe, so don't be so sad about this situation, because there are people who are on the edge of surviving because of the pandemic situation, so we are actually lucky.
    Bit of a random bump of this thread, considering its last post was in November last year (9 months ago), and much water may have passed under the bridge for WIC since then, especially considering he hasn't mentioned said situation since.

Not necessarily criticising your sentiment though.

Well I haven't played a gig since January of 2020 and I lost a rather lucrative part-time business. The pandemic effectively ended live entertainment. It's beginning to come back but gigs are scarce and the restrictions make them less than desirable.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Well I haven't played a gig since January of 2020 and I lost a rather lucrative part-time business. The pandemic effectively ended live entertainment. It's beginning to come back but gigs are scarce and the restrictions make them less than desirable.

FMP
    This must be tough! My stepdad was a drummer and I know if he was still with us this is what he would have found to be the toughest part of the pandemic. Gigging was his favourite thing to do! Hopefully you'll be able to do one again before too long.

Sorry for not updating this.

Business is still off, but that's because I'm taking a couple months out to put the foundations in place to help me work more productive.

I create a lot of Wordpress sites for clients, and I've just created a complex system to setup secure Wordpress servers in seconds. I'm tying this in with GoCardless to charge customers month subscriptions and I plan to offer "Secure managed Wordpress servers". $99 a month, or $999 a year. I'm excited about it, but I've had to take a break this week as I'm almost burned out for the past 2 weeks.

Thread Information