Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keeping schools open is stupid

Re: Keeping schools open is stupid

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Playing Goldeneye multiplayer stoned whilst eating a kebab was the highlight of my 20s.

Wow, sad
    This was me, except it was GTA ... the first version. I still love the first version, and the London edition. Mike Skinner really captured the moment of what life was like for a young adult.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Not at all....Simple pleasures are always the best. My son's knowledge of Goldeneye is immense. He can recite the entire film script from memory. Playing the N64 game this Spring really helped him to rehabilitate after months in hospital on a psych ward.
    Classic autism. I don't know what I can recite. I can open notepad on windows and write a piece of software from my head. Maybe that's it. I've always been impressed with people who can recite entire movie lines. I can recite a lot of the 8 Mile movie but not entirely and I'd need practice now.

Glad to hear your son is doing better Pulisa. Like you said, it's the simple things in life. For your son it's 007.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thanks, James.

I saw this the other day and thought it could be useful reading for some people on here https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-society-prize

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    How old is he Nora?
    He's 11.

if human.touched then
    human.Health = human.Health - 10
    end

or like this ...

if human.Health <= 0 then
    human.die()
    end

You can probably understand that yourself by reading it. If the human health is less than or equal to zero kill the player
    Nope. You just spoke a different language mate. I'm having flashbacks.

I've got an idea, but I don't know if it's something people want, but I thought about a Youtube channel teaching Roblox game development from the very very basics with an aim at teaching kids logical thinking, and mathematics, through game.
    My son would be on it like a seagull on a chip! Because that's what he watches - dudes talking gaming.

It would have to be very un-school-like though, as in, you're educating them, but they don't know it. A bit like when you give a dog worming tabs in a jam sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    He's 11.
    That was the age my son started.

Nope. You just spoke a different language mate. I'm having flashbacks.
    It's really strange to hear people can not understand that. My wife is the same, she's been with me 12 years and she still knows nothing about programming. My son just picks it up. For your sons generation I think it's considered the norm to know a bit of programming.

It would have to be very un-school-like though, as in, you're educating them, but they don't know it. A bit like when you give a dog worming tabs in a jam sandwich?
    That's the hardest part. I think the teacher would also have to be a good actor, to act silly, make it funny and keep children entertained. I think that's way out of my league ... I'm more monotone I don't think I'd capture the interests of young ears.

☪️️

I get the 2nd bit of code but not the first.

Been a while for me but you are waaayyy beyond my meagre VB & VBscript skills.

I think it's good if kids learn this stuff. Even if they don't go into tech roles it may help them in offices using software like Microsoft Office. Beyond that it might help them apply logic to decision making.

Oh how I remember all those nested loops to rearrange data files sent between companies in unusable formats for those of us performing analysis outside of IT settings.

Terry, there is a solution for VB programmers ... Pascal. It's still a thing and tbh Pascal is one of my favorite languages. If it interests you take a look a Lazarus which is free. Don't go with Delphi, that's no longer free (it may have been when you were programming). Pascal is very much like VB. I have Lazarus installed and a few projects in Pascal.

Oh how I remember all those nested loops to rearrange data files sent between companies in unusable formats for those of us performing analysis outside of IT settings.
    That's still a problem today believe it or not. Today people create scripts in Python to parse the data from spreadsheets and convert it into another form, or utilize its data.

☪️️

Yes, Pascal does look a lot like VB. If I was still in that role it would be a good thing to look at. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Most of my stuff was in databases. Making them easier and faster for users via our (very slow) network drives. Our IT were very protective of their role but very inflexible when it came to data extraction and bespoke smaller databases. So we would undercut them big time with a bespoke solution we supported as long as we worked there. All done in far less time without project managers taking their cut for little return.

I used to perform a lot of analysis and I always needed data out of the main systems. It used to be cheap & quick but as the company bought others out, and moved from stable legacy systems into pretty ropey 'new world' systems, new IT guys were far stricter. The output files were often nasty so I had to learn from a former colleagues scripts, a book and some Googling. It really helped with Excel and Access.

Absolutely with the industry I worked in (energy). I've been out of it for ages but I do know of companies doing things manually as the systems used to send & receive files don't output anything user friendly. It's madness paying people to sit doing a cut & paste all day. The big firms moved to SAP and what a mess that was.

We used to have a guy at uni but working part time for us. Getting him to just screen scrape gave us so much useful data for no real cost. When he left I had all his code and started learning as he was invaluable.

You would be well handy to people like us (as we were) as you are a flexible guy. There were a few like you many depended on to cut out the IT managers.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    It's really strange to hear people can not understand that. My wife is the same, she's been with me 12 years and she still knows nothing about programming. My son just picks it up. For your sons generation I think it's considered the norm to know a bit of programming.
    Hubs can do basic programming, as could a lad I once went out with in the 80s when computers were like, MASSIVE. I say 'went out' with - I sat in his bedroom watching him do his programming games - which to me was a complete yawnfest. However, he'd got the new Ozzy album, so it wasn't all bad.

When it comes to gaming, all my lads are gamers (and Hubs number 2) and I've tried, but I'm so epically bad at it that they hurt themselves laughing. I'm always facing the wrong way, smashing into walls, or killing myself innit?

My youngest didn't accept it when Hubs told him just how bad I am...

"Play Kirby with me Mum - you'll be great with that!"

How could I say no to his beaming little face?

So he set us up playing Kirby on his Nintendo Switch and after 5 minutes he disconnected me!

It was almost comical how he went from the, 'Try again Mum' of my first failed attempt to stomping out of the room five minutes later!

I think he was actually disgusted with my woeful performance.

But then, it's to be expected because gaming is his world. He takes that shit seriously! That and memes. He currently communicates in memes.

A lot of autistics like computer programming/gaming/etc but I'm not one of them. I'm a creative lunatic who still wears band t shirts and likes decorating (when fibro permits me) I simply don't understand computing (it's alien language to me) and gaming just requires something which my brain can't handle..

That's the hardest part. I think the teacher would also have to be a good actor, to act silly, make it funny and keep children entertained. I think that's way out of my league ...
    Maybe bring someone else in to do that part then? You do the donkey work and they pitch it to da kidz?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information