Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Acid Reflux a symptom of Bowel cancer?

Is Acid Reflux a symptom of Bowel cancer?

For the past few months I have started getting very mild acid reflux, I never used to have issues with reflux before but I do have IBS. I’ve stupidly read some patient stories about people with stage 4 Bowel cancer that mentions acid reflux and I’m in such a panic.

Also, would red sauce cause a red tint to your BM? I had enchiladas for dinner last night that have a strong red sauce and loads of roasted red peppers in them. This morning I’ve been 3 times and it has been full of red bits but also that actual BM itself is a reddish brown. Nothing is coming out into the water or transferring any redness to toilet paper.

I have extreme worries about colon cancer and just feel like I’m on route to be diagnosed with a very late stage BC. I’m 26 y/o female so doctor says that’s very unlikely.

Re: Is Acid Reflux a symptom of Bowel cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedOlive View Post
    For the past few months I have started getting very mild acid reflux, I never used to have issues with reflux before but I do have IBS. I’ve stupidly read some patient stories about people with stage 4 Bowel cancer that mentions acid reflux and I’m in such a panic.
    Cancer stories?

This is like, throw the petrol bomb, stand back, and watch the explosion..

Also, would red sauce cause a red tint to your BM?
    Yes.

I have extreme worries about colon cancer and just feel like I’m on route to be diagnosed with a very late stage BC. I’m 26 y/o female so doctor says that’s very unlikely.
    I concur with your GP.

[QUOTE=NoraB;1972888]Cancer stories?

I know it’s not a sensible decision, but I was hoping to find that symptoms of BC had much more extreme symptoms than what I’m experiencing. I’m really not sure what is causing the acid reflux :(

Do you think it would be obvious if it was blood I.e transfer pink onto paper when dabbed or diffuse in the water?

[QUOTE=WorriedOlive;1972889]
    Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Cancer stories?

I know it’s not a sensible decision, but I was hoping to find that symptoms of BC had much more extreme symptoms than what I’m experiencing. I’m really not sure what is causing the acid reflux :(

Do you think it would be obvious if it was blood I.e transfer pink onto paper when dabbed or diffuse in the water?
    Sorry I didn't mean to delete my post 😁 l agree with Nora and as for reflux your anxiety will cause it as your stomach will be all churned up, you are very young to have this and l can tell you my friend had this awful disease believe me it wasn't acid reflux now stop overthinking you need to trust your doctor take care xx

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedOlive View Post

94% of bowel cancer cases are in people over 50, so it's highly unlikely that you (at 26) will have bowel cancer. But, I've had HA and I know that your mind will focus on that 6%. Right? Well, it will until the doctors and tests finally convince you, and then your HA mind will move onto another symptom.

Acid reflux though? This is very common - especially with people who suffer from anxiety.

My Husband had blood in his poo and it was obvious. (he didn't have bowel cancer btw)

You don't need to be faffing about with bits of toilet paper, Olive..

Stop Googling. Stop reading cancer stories. Stop obsessing over your poo.

I'd also point out that even Stage IV bowel cancer is survivable. A close friend was diagnosed with it last year, along with lesions on his liver and bladder. Doesn't sound good, does it?

Eighteen months on, after surgery, chemo and radiotherapy he's as clean as a whistle. He's 59.

Hi everyone. I should have started a new thread for this but I just want someone to see this ASAP. Ok so here's the story...
    I just had a bit of bright red blood on my poo. Not much, but of course me being me.. alarm bells started to ring. This isnt uncommon for me to be honest. Anyways the issue is; I was referred to a gastroentologist. I've had a sigmoidoscopy (she advised that most of my symptoms were lower down so she didnt think a full colonoscopy was necessary, and I think she was right!). Anyways so she said she saw nothing at all, but she took 3 biopsies in different areas to be safe. I have an appointment again in December, but she said she wouldnt contact me unless it was urgent (so I can assume the biopsies were normal!). She also sent me for a SIBO test, which came back positive. So BASICALLY she has unofficially diagnosed me with IBS and SIBO. Neither of these conditions should have blood though.. to be fair I am ALWAYS constipated!!! But I don't think there's any more I can do. She wants me to see a dietitian for the FODMAP diet, but other than that there appears to be nothing wrong. I have seen the sigmoidoscopy photos and they do look completely normal to me, a very big overthinker. This woman is so highly accredited and she is the best in the business, so I know I should feel at ease. But I don't. Can someone confirm that this is my anxious wired brain and not actually an issue??? BTW I have been clinically diagnosed with H.Anxiety and OCD and have been on 200mg sertraline for 3 years. I am just scared but deep down I know there isnt anything to worry about... I hope. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I'd also point out that even Stage IV bowel cancer is survivable. A close friend was diagnosed with it last year, along with lesions on his liver and bladder. Doesn't sound good, does it?

Eighteen months on, after surgery, chemo and radiotherapy he's as clean as a whistle. He's 59.
    My Aunty had BC and went onto live for another 40 years. Mind you, she was a battle-axe. BC wouldn't have killed her off - it wouldn't have dared.

Quote Originally Posted by muffin2311 View Post
    to be fair I am ALWAYS constipated!!!
    You could have piles from straining. This is the most likely cause. Or a fissure.

I presume you've had full blood tests done?

Thank you for all your replies. I didn’t realise acid reflux could be caused by anxiety so that’s made me feel a little better as my anxiety levels are very high at the moment.

Also reassuring to hear about your stories of those that have survived BC, I’ve always thought of it as one of those cancers that’s pretty much a death sentence. Although my fear is always that if I don’t thoroughly inspect all my symptoms I wouldn’t catch it until a very late stage.

This morning my BM had a tiny piece which had the red colour and was full of peppers (sorry tmi!!) and the rest was a normal colour, which i presume was from yesterday’s food as I made sure not to eat red food yesterday. Would you say that’s adequate to confirm it was the tomato sauce causing it? I want to stop looking but also don’t want to miss something important that needs to be reported.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information