Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Most Important Advice

Re: Most Important Advice

A piece of advice that I would offer is to start by working on your thoughts first and in person activity second. While it may be difficult if your mind is constantly racing, try putting an end to your negative thoughts by literally saying "stop" in your head. You don't need to replace it with any positive thought, just literally cut off the fearful one to try and prevent your brain from running on autopilot with negativity. Over time, it may help if you can in a way rewire your brain to not constantly expect the worst since it seems like it can happen every day without us even realizing it. As with anything related to overcoming anxiety, this is a suggestion that would take a little time to hopefully yield positive results.

I agree that you can't let negative or nonsense thoughts spiral, but I can't talk myself out of them and struggle to ignore them. I almost have to put my attentions and energy into real life stuff to make them quieten down.

I'm actually having that problem this morning. My mind keeps darting off to odd places, and I have to just keep bringing my attention back to my work and not get involved with my minds nonsense. Any attempt I make to rationalise or stop thoughts just makes me get in a fight which makes me worse.

One additional suggestion for racing thoughts is have you have ever tried any sort of meditation? In the past, I might have thought this meant sitting in the lotus position up on a mountainside when really it can be as simple as listening to videos on YouTube while sitting in a chair at home. Jason Stephenson has countless free guided meditation videos that either help focus on your breathing or have some sort of visualization to assist with fear/anxiety.

I realize this may not be for everyone, however I've found it helpful to have someone else talk me through everything rather than simply leaving it up to myself. A lot of them are geared towards falling asleep easier which is a great way to end a rough day.

I have tried to do mindfulness, but it knocks me around to be honest. I've got better at sitting with myself, but my mind just tortures me to be honest, and mindfulness seems to force me into my head, when that's the opposite of what I want.

There was a time when I had to have the tele on, or the radio on constantly to stop me from thinking, and I've got over that by tolerating it and refusing to use them safety behaviours. I'm just too much 'in my own head' constantly, and it leads to all the derealisation, crazy thoughts and almost depressed stuff that I'm feeling at the minute. Today being a hopeless example.

Most Important Advice

Deleted
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Scass; 22-11-20 at 06:11.

Where have I mentioned abdominal pain or my heart? I think you're confusing me with someone else?

I'm fully aware of the physical symptoms anxiety creates.

If you were talking about me, then how dare you say that I'm doing nothing to help myself. You have no idea what I put myself through in a day, attempting to get better.
    Last edited by LittleLionMan; 20-11-20 at 17:33.

Scass will have just mixed you up with someone else, Phil..A genuine mistake.

Maybe you are trying TOO hard to manage your anxiety though?

Hi, how are you?

Yeah, that's why I was polite at the start, with a little 'if' afterwards. Haha.

I never get the criticism in this forum sometimes, when the majority here are trying to do the best they can in whatever situation they are in.

My psychologist has suggested very similar, that I try too hard at everything, which has served me well in some areas of my life, but is counterproductive for anxiety.

I did absolutely mix you up with someone else,and I’m so sorry I upset you. That’s why I swore I wouldn’t reply to that other thread!

But hey, I’m really glad you are working so hard on your anxiety. If only everyone did. What do you find works for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    Hi, how are you?

Yeah, that's why I was polite at the start, with a little 'if' afterwards. Haha.

I never get the criticism in this forum sometimes, when the majority here are trying to do the best they can in whatever situation they are in.

My psychologist has suggested very similar, that I try too hard at everything, which has served me well in some areas of my life, but is counterproductive for anxiety.

Exactly..It's not a battle but it will be if you fight it too hard and get the adrenaline flowing constantly.

You do sound as if you are doing really well though..as is your football team!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information