Thread: Postmenopausal... Ladies?

Postmenopausal... Ladies?

Hi I'm just being nosey lol
    Those of you that are postmenopausal... How many of you still getting symptoms after a few years with no periods?
    I keep reading that after a year of no periods they stop! Well hay hoo I'm 3rd of 4th year I think and still getting hot flushes, night sweats that come and go, virginal dryness and breast tenderness 🤷*♀️ just interested about others? X

Re: Postmenopausal... Ladies?

Hi I went into surgical menopause after a hysterectomy 10 years ago & I still get hot flushes. It isn't just the flushes, I can feel when one is coming on as I feel nauseas and anxious. Plus the brain fog. Not nice at all!
    Take a read of this
    https://www.gransnet.com/forums/meno...-of-hot-sweats

Quote Originally Posted by Katbax View Post
    Those of you that are postmenopausal... How many of you still getting symptoms after a few years with no periods?
    I keep reading that after a year of no periods they stop! Well hay hoo I'm 3rd of 4th year I think and still getting hot flushes, night sweats that come and go, virginal dryness and breast tenderness 🤷*♀️ just interested about others? X
    Hi Katbax, i went into menopause quite early at about age 45 seems to be a trait for the women in my family. My symptoms were awful i pretty much suffered from everything you could mention, no HRT for me as there was medical advice going round at that time saying not to take it so thought i could handle things by taking a more natural approach, took all sorts nothing really made any difference. I can honestly say that for at least five years those symptoms never left me, but the worst of them all for me was the hot sweats day & night, i used to dread the summer. The upshot of all this is that 16 years later i still occasionally get a night sweat although rarely in the day. I guess i’m the exception to the rule as to be honest i’ve never heard about anyone else experiencing it to this extent. Take care.

You've both been through the mill bless you... I think it's werid how we are all so different
    It's horrible waking up soaked in the night.. My main thing is my senitive boobs had that years and I have mamogram tomorrow I'm so scared 😔
    Thankfully I got a cancellation

I keep reading that after a year of no periods they stop! Well hay hoo I'm 3rd of 4th year I think and still getting hot flushes, night sweats that come and go, virginal dryness and breast tenderness 路*♀️ just interested about others? X
    One in ten women can have menopausal symptoms for up to twelve years after their last period but generally it's about 5 years.

In my case, I have fibromyalgia and I had my last period in 2009, so I've no idea what's what. Actually, that's not right because my meno-flushes used to happen from my chest up and fibro heat affects my entire body.

Re vaginal dryness: that delightful perk of the menopause is here to stay unless you use an oestrogen cream and then you'll only get relief for as long as you're using it. I can't take HRT, so I have to use alternative methods to keep the ol' fadgeroo lubricated, you get me?

I advocate using natural products (like Yes, Olive and Bee etc) and staying sexually active *manic laughter* or using dilators to keep the vagina from closing up like a Venus FlyTrap!

See, the skin inside the vagina (and surrounding areas) thins after the menopause because collagen (that what makes the vagina nice and fleshy) goes into retirement, same as the ovaries..

Women can also develop a charming condition of the vagina known as Vaginal Atrophy and truth be told I wasn't expecting this one..

Doctor: Mrs Batty, you have Vaginal Atrophy.

Me: A trophy?
    (I wondered if I'd won an award for the best (or worst) vagina in Manchester)

If you're having sex and you suddenly wonder why you can feel your hub's/partner/significant other's dinky-donk tickling your cervix after it not touching the sides for years - it's because the vagina can shorten after the menopause.

Now, this is good news for the owner of the dinky-donk. It's Christmas and birthdays all rolled into one because 'bucket fanny' has tightened up (Hurrah!) but for us, this means pain because there is dryness involved too. Tight dry hole and lots of friction? You could start a fire down there!

(and it certainly feels like it when you go for a post-sexy times wee)

I tell you, when I get to heaven, I am going to give my mother some serious shit because she had an early menopause too and she never warned me about how crap it can be!

Then again, when I started my periods at 11 years of age, ( I thought I was dying) she opened the bathroom door, thrust a mattress sized sanitary towel at me, and told me to stick it in my knickers.

I can't end a post without some positivity, so, here goes...

The two things the menopause has blessed me with is no more horrible periods and I can finally wear white leggings risk-free. (front end, anyway)

You've both been through the mill bless you... I think it's werid how we are all so different
    It's horrible waking up soaked in the night.. My main thing is my senitive boobs had that years and I have mamogram tomorrow I'm so scared 
    Thankfully I got a cancellation
    Hi Katbax, yes i’d forgotten but i used to get really sensitive boobs also, they reckon evening primrose oil helps & i think as i recall it did to an extent. Anyway i hope you get on just fine with your mammogram tomorrow.

My mum's doctor told her that these symptoms can go on for years (my mum in late eighties and still gets them from time to time). I went through it six years ago and still getting the occasional flushes and odd feelings and have fibromyalgia too which doesn't help. No-end of weird sensations which some background sense tells me is hormonal related.

But as Nora B says - at least no more period worries and freedom to wear the whites in summer without that 'What if it starts now' anxiety...

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    have fibromyalgia too which doesn't help.
    Hello fellow fibro warrior!

Thread Information