Thread: Two steps forward, one step back

Two steps forward, one step back

Today was a pretty good day. I saw my therapist and caught up with friends for lunch.

Then as I was making dinner for some reason my brain decides to remember a tiny bruise I noticed a few weeks ago on the top of my foot. I don't know if I got it from dropping something on my foot or maybe my shoe.

Of course I can't help myself and look down and see it's still there. I think it's faded a bit, but it's still there and do you think I can think of anything else? Next thing I know I'm examining it with the torch on my phone and taking photos of it!! Then I start to get annoyed at myself for worrying about something probably ridiculous and that's my evening ruined.

I have a routine appointment with my GP in 2 weeks so have told myself if it's still there then I'll ask her about it. In the meantime I'm resolved to not look at it again.

Argh the OCD is such a struggle and whenever my guard is down HA slides right on in.

Re: Two steps forward, one step back

Quote Originally Posted by carriewriting View Post
    whenever my guard is down HA slides right on in.
    It's not so much the case that you've let your guard down and HA has slid back in, Carrie, this is happening because the health anxiety hasn't successfully been addressed yet. If it had, you wouldn't be giving this trivial little bruise a moment's more consideration...

Are you seeing the therapist for the HA?

Hi Nora, yes, I'm having schema therapy to try to get to the underlying cause of the health anxiety. This is a reminder that I still need to practice the CBT techniques when specific worries arise. I didn't do that tonight, but will double down on it. Gotta do the work!

Quote Originally Posted by carriewriting View Post
    Hi Nora, yes, I'm having schema therapy to try to get to the underlying cause of the health anxiety. This is a reminder that I still need to practice the CBT techniques when specific worries arise. I didn't do that tonight, but will double down on it. Gotta do the work!
    Ah yes! I'm really interested in that schema therapy - never heard of it until you mentioned it. I need to research that one.

The vulnerability to harm schema seems most linked to HA. I'm looking forward to finding out more at my next appointment. So far it's been background and doing the questionnaires. Next time we're starting to address the schemas. My friend has been through it for generalised anxiety and says it definitely helped her.

Thread Information