Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBS - grooves/ridges in stool

IBS - grooves/ridges in stool

Hi,

Looking for others with IBS that have experienced this. If I have a BM that is very dry/in hard small bits, some of them have what looks like fine grooves running down them. It’s like it’s been moulded by the grooves in your bum as it comes out! Or is it from it being so dry? They’re like perfectly formed grooves and it’s been this way for a couple of years.

Would a tumour do this? It’s not hemmerhoids because I’ve had a rigid sigmoidoscopy.

Re: IBS - grooves/ridges in stool

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Poop floats and it sinks
    It's different colors and it stinks.
    It can be hard or soft like mush
    Do your business and just flush!
    Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Groovy stools (lol) are most likely caused by constipation, and slow transit in the colon, or good old internal haemorrhoids.

By the description of your BMs - you're constipated.

When was your sigmoidoscopy done?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Groovy stools (lol) are most likely caused by constipation, and slow transit in the colon, or good old internal haemorrhoids.

By the description of your BMs - you're constipated.

When was your sigmoidoscopy done?
    I only ever get this when IÂ’m constipated. The sigmoidoscopy was in February and found no internal haemorrhoids.

The grooves are pretty perfectly formed which is strange, like a ReeceÂ’s piece but way more subtle. Could a tumour be causing this? IÂ’ve never seen it on normally former BMs. Just the little really hard ones (tmi!)

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedOlive View Post
    I only ever get this when IÂ’m constipated. The sigmoidoscopy was in February and found no internal haemorrhoids.
    That's 3/4 of a year ago - maybe one has popped up in the meantime?

The grooves are pretty perfectly formed which is strange, like a ReeceÂ’s piece but way more subtle. Could a tumour be causing this? IÂ’ve never seen it on normally former BMs. Just the little really hard ones (tmi!)
    It's within the realms of possibility that it could be a small polyp, but before you freak out - most are benign - and even those which are pre-cancerous are removed before they have chance to cause problems. It takes a long time for a polyp to turn cancerous - between 10 and 15 years.

Or it could just be down to the tone of the old tea towel holder (your anus)

You know that song. 'Groove is in the Heart? Well I've had this song in my head since I read your post, only it's 'Groove is in the Shit'. I blame you! (yes, this is how my mind works)

Have I got it right that you're saying that you only notice grooves when you're constipated?

If so, it can't be a tumour etc because the grooves would be there all the time, unless you have the shits. You get me?

That's 3/4 of a year ago - maybe one has popped up in the meantime?
    I’ve noticed it for a couple of years now, it’s not a new thing, just something I’ve started to worry about since my BC fear has began.

It's within the realms of possibility that it could be a small polyp, but before you freak out - most are benign - and even those which are pre-cancerous are removed before they have chance to cause problems. It takes a long time for a polyp to turn cancerous - between 10 and 15 years.
    That’s very worrying as I’ve recently posted about worry of blood in poo and all sorts of stomach issues! Seeing a gastroenterologist on Monday. I have an overwhelming fear that I have Bowel cancer and I’m only 26. The ridges are over the whole surface and exactly the same size, wouldn’t you need lots of little polyps all next to each other to create that kind of effect?

Have I got it right that you're saying that you only notice grooves when you're constipated?
    Yes it’s only then

Freaking out :(

Olive, with respect, engage your brain eh?

1. It's highly unlikely that you had blood in your poo. It is 99.9% certain that it was the indigestible bits of tomato and red pepper.

2. Stomach issues rarely equate to cancer.

3. The clincher for me is the fact that these ridges are not there all the time. Think about it. If you had lots of polyps in your colon, isn't it more likely that you would see them all the time unless your BM was so loose it wasn't formed?

You've had a camera up your bum. If you had polyps, you would know about it.

Groovy stools (lol)

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks NoraB

You really help put things in perspective.

Come to think of it, a better way to describe my issue is that it comes out like a dehydrated raisin (but not as small), so I presume that’s most likely a constipation thing? Do BMs dry up and wrinkle?

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedOlive View Post
    Do BMs dry up and wrinkle?
    Yes they do.

Drink more water and drizzle a tsp of olive oil onto your food. (or chug it straight from the bottle like my mother did )

Your body is telling you that it's dehydrated so you need to hydrate and lubricate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information